Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

To the community 'insiders' who gave CM feedback on handling etc on DR 2.0 ...

Jcushing5Jcushing5 Member New Car Smell
... What can you tell us about the handling in 2.0 vs 1? Is it more of a simulation (with assists off)? Does it approach or surpass Richard Burns levels of simulation? (note this is a different thing to difficulty). How about the tracks, are they all wide like the NZ clip we've seen on youtube?

Comments

• nbates66nbates66 Member Wheel Nut
    edited October 2
    Jcushing5 said:
    Does it approach or surpass Richard Burns levels of simulation?
    I've heard from a few places that game is actually relatively primitive but it never gets defined if people are talking about the stock game or the modified game, also probably varies a lot depending on specifically which car you're driving(modded cars).

EDIT: disclaimer- no I am not a community insider/tester and haven't seen Dirt Rally 2.0 outside of released/leaked footage.
  • MrDeapMrDeap Member Pit Crew
    Jcushing5 said:
    ... What can you tell us about the handling in 2.0 vs 1? Is it more of a simulation (with assists off)? Does it approach or surpass Richard Burns levels of simulation? (note this is a different thing to difficulty). How about the tracks, are they all wide like the NZ clip we've seen on youtube?
    I don't trust gamers when it come for realistic driving. Especially professional sim racer. :smile: 

It's like asking a game to be fully ray traced. It won't happen & you have to live with rasterizing. The best you can ask is for a fun model that seem plausible.
    Sabertooth X79|Core i7 3930K 4.3GHz|Zalman CNPS12X|Kingston HyperX 8X4GB CL9|Gigabytes 980Ti G1 6GB|14TB storage|X-Fi Titanium HD|SuperNOVA 1300 G2|Corsair 800D
  • JZStudiosJZStudios Member Champion
    nbates66 said:
    Jcushing5 said:
    Does it approach or surpass Richard Burns levels of simulation?
    I've heard from a few places that game is actually relatively primitive but it never gets defined if people are talking about the stock game or the modified game, also probably varies a lot depending on specifically which car you're driving(modded cars).

EDIT: disclaimer- no I am not a community insider/tester and haven't seen Dirt Rally 2.0 outside of released/leaked footage.
    RBR mods or no is really pretty **** honestly... The only reason you might still play it is because the rally racing genre is quite small and limited, and there's a large mod database for RBR. Other than being mod friendly it doesn't have much going for it.

Other than that, I guess that depends on your definition of "simulation."
    But we all agree that the physics are a pretty massive improvement over DR and D4.
  • RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    Jcushing5 said:

I’m not a tester, but go search YouTube for the video of the Audi in Argentina. New Zealand is famously fast, flowing and wide but that other vid will assure you that not all locations will be.
  • Jcushing5Jcushing5 Member New Car Smell
    edited October 2
    Super responses, thanks everyone for being positive on this!

I'm really optimistic now - I think those videos on youtube are doing a bit of a disservice to the game because of that NZ stage and the youtube compression does not flatter the graphics!

And to be honest, I actually think DR 1 has better physics than RBR. It's a higher resolution input and track surface, and it's completely convincing. And unlike RBR, it's very playable with a controller. I am really just hoping for more of the same, but with any improvements possible!

Post edited by Jcushing5 on
  • jayp666jayp666 Member Pit Crew
    edited October 3
    Jcushing5 said:
    And unlike RBR, it's very playable with a controller. 

Don't know where you take that from, I've played RBR for 10 years on a keyboard without any difficulty  :)
    Post edited by jayp666 on
  • Madhun1967Madhun1967 Member Pit Crew
    NEVER forget in 2004 trying to beat the rally school in RBR in the Impreza.Was sooooo  challenging and fun ,and it took you awhile to get good.Hope its like that in Dirt 2.0
  • dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    helped with the handling testing. lots of effort has been put in to make it Dirt rally 2.0 .

RBR wasnt realistic. i dont get why people think it is it was just hard for the sake of it. people often mistake hard with realistic.  i played it quite a bit with mods wasnt realstic or as good as Dirt rally. period. no matter what mods it just isnt. ive driven some of the cars real life nothing like rbr. or very little alike.

the handling for Dirt rally 2.0 is coming together nicely. better than Dirt 4 different to dirt rally 1 in my opinion. we have had a limited amount of content to try so you cant base too much at the moment as you will obviously need all the criteria before judging fairly. looking forward to the release.
    edited October 3
    played it since it came out. its not a hate train the games fun. realistic no.tried many mods. just because my opinion differs from yours dont assume i have zero knowledge. thats a assumption. we just differ in opinion. you like it, i dont think its great. nothing wrong with that. look at both perspectives. not everyone likes the same things.

only reason i commented on it because like many older games they are always better rose tinted glasses and all. when infact they arent.
    dgeesi0 said:
    helped with the handling testing. lots of effort has been put in to make it Dirt rally 2.0 .

RBR wasnt realistic. i dont get why people think it is it was just hard for the sake of it. people often mistake hard with realistic.  i played it quite a bit with mods wasnt realstic or as good as Dirt rally. period. no matter what mods it just isnt. ive driven some of the cars real life nothing like rbr. or very little alike.

the handling for Dirt rally 2.0 is coming together nicely. better than Dirt 4 different to dirt rally 1 in my opinion. we have had a limited amount of content to try so you cant base too much at the moment as you will obviously need all the criteria before judging fairly. looking forward to the release.
    did you make this statement that RBR not realistic in 2004? what you base it on??????? its just your opinion,i think.lol , for sure not much has come close to beating it since then in the rally 'sim" world....................
    IMHO , the MK2 "looks" -cause I cant test yet - too snappy for a FWD on gravel.Sorry I hope its just the vid and the extensive use of handbrake by John.
  • gheeDgheeD Member Race Steward
    I ask you to say what mods you have played to understand your opinion of it. 
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    IMHO , the MK2 "looks" -cause I cant test yet - too snappy for a FWD on gravel.Sorry I hope its just the vid and the extensive use of handbrake by John.
    I’m quite sure it is. Jon is very precise and doesn’t drive like the rest of us could or would.

From what I have felt, you are going to like FWD.  My preference is RWD as everyone knows.  During testing, the change in the FWD cars impressed me possibly the most.
    dgeesi0 said:

did you make this statement that RBR not realistic in 2004? what you base it on??????? its just your opinion,i think.lol , for sure not much has come close to beating it since then in the rally 'sim" world....................
    if you like rbr, like it. others dont. it isnt realistic. at all. i have driven many of the cars in real life that are in the game same with dirt rally. thats how i know its not realistic . so its not just a " hate train " its just it isnt realistic. its a great fun game. just dont get that mixed up with realistic. if you cant take a simple opinion about something then why even debate or reply ? its obvious others wont share the opinion. rbr or rally sims always comes up. its a tiring debate mostly by people who have learned silly mechanics of how rbr plays over many years. then think thats realistic. when it isnt you just learned to play a game. you dont need to reply or others dont my opinion wont change just like others who like rbr or think its the best game ever. nothing wrong with that i played it a lot enjoy it for fun.

hard to define realistic and for most , reality will be all different.We had , for years sims tested and driven before being released by real life drivers and celebrities.still , lot of "sims" dont feel right to others and it will be always like that.

All I was saying is that back then and now , RBR was excellent.And...........nothing came close to it,dont forget

CORRECT ^^^^^^^^^^^  rbr did SOOOOO MANY THINGS RIGHT ,ESPECIALLY FOR ITS TIME .

You WERE able to "set" the car up for a corner, felt the weight ,and especially after all the mods it was and is excellent representation of how you drive a car.IMHO :)

tarmac did lack a bit , but was still 'white knuckle " through the stages.