Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Pacenotes Modification

SamRWDSamRWD Member Race Engineer
Pacenotes are crucial part of rallying, most real world drivers agree that having accurate pacenotes is the most important part of event preparation.

Even though Phil's voice got recorded when "driving" though stages using motion platform, it would be nice to customize some corner descriptions within pacenotes. Adding "caution" calls to corners that give a driver more trouble, but also changing corners diameter calls are just some examples of what each driver might want to tune to his own liking. Having a calls "soundbank" would be required, but it is just a matter of sorting already recorded calls. UI would also need to be designed.

How it should work in practice is one of two ways:

a) Add a "mark" button option on the controls settings menu (modern rally cars also use "mark" button), so after the stage replay shows moments marked with "mark" button and allows to change pacenotes around that spot on the stage

b) Use voice recognition- same tech that F1 2018 uses; also similar to a) it is what happens in real life. Could be using a "trigger" command, such as a word "correction" after which driver speaks corrected pacenote, codriver responds with "noted" when he doesn't have any pacenotes to read to confirm voice recognition got triggered. Of course as with a) could be then modified and confirmed after stage is done.

Another optional feature that could follow would be sharing pacenotes. Also could possibly lead to more customized options for pacenotes as whole- for example using "inverted" calls (1 being the fastest), or "descriptive" calls ("easy" being the fastest). Not related to actual pacenotes modifiaction, but also nice feature could be a radio call from Phil to the team that codrivers do in real life "supervision, we have finished the stage" is one of common phrases (if names soundbanks would be used as in F1 series, we could also add a drivers name into that call).

Pacenotes Modification 20 votes

Yes, pacenotes modification is something that we could use.
65%
TheEqualTesterSamRWDzeroundersteermesaJulo264SykeBlindcarpaLynx2000Haris33LetMeThrashUafahoybillybob38Rallystu2 13 votes
No, default pacenotes are enough.
35%
EvilsmurfgtmissionversediGroove14SirPhilMcKrakenxcAzxledid 7 votes

Comments

• EvilsmurfEvilsmurf Member Team Principal
    No, default pacenotes are enough.
    If the stages were randomly generated, and you wanted to save your favourite stage, then I can see a place for this system.

But seeing as the stages are all bespoke, once you've been down them a couple of times you will know the places to watch out for and when you can push a little more. 

Twitch: twitch.tv/evilsmurf76

Twitter: Evilsmurf76

Steam: Evilsmurf

PSN: evilsmurf1976

• SamRWDSamRWD Member Race Engineer
    Evilsmurf said:
    If the stages were randomly generated, and you wanted to save your favourite stage, then I can see a place for this system.

But seeing as the stages are all bespoke, once you've been down them a couple of times you will know the places to watch out for and when you can push a little more. 
    Yup, I see where you are coming from. But I am still always trying my best to drive by pacenotes, not from memory. If there is too few locations, then inevitably it will be the same thing that happened to Dirt Rally 1, but we will be getting DLCs so hopefully online events will not be all about driving from memory, and also even if you know places by hart I would argue that putting "caution" calls even on seemingly easy parts that you often mess up could benefit people who otherwise could just as well turn pacenotes off.
  • AIPacinoAIPacino Member Wheel Nut
    edited October 8
    I'd rather see a paid DLC called "Co-Driver Pack" where it adds Nicky Grist, Robert Reid, Daniel Elena, etc to the lot of selections for a co driver in the game. It'd be nice to have Gronholm's Co-Driver as well as Makinen's but that would be for the fins only xD

There's a lot of DLC types they can explore to extend the game's lifespan.
  • TheEqualTesterTheEqualTester Member Unleaded
    Some pacenotes are way off in DR, somewhere right 2 feels like right 3 opens (maybe it's personal). I'd like to rewrite those. And the notes don't take speed into account. Pretty bad in Germany, high speed section followed by square left or sharper, I cannot react fast enough. So timings.
    If DR 2.0 has the same issues, then yea give us a chance to tweak them.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
    Some pacenotes are way off in DR, somewhere right 2 feels like right 3 opens (maybe it's personal). I'd like to rewrite those. And the notes don't take speed into account. Pretty bad in Germany, high speed section followed by square left or sharper, I cannot react fast enough. So timings.
    If DR 2.0 has the same issues, then yea give us a chance to tweak them.

Late calls are the worst. D4 was so bad in that regard.
  • carpacarpa Member Race Engineer
    I can't see why we wouldn't want the ability to change the pacenotes... apart from the fact I would have no one to blame for the inevitable crash apart from me, if we did.
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • CatBaddersCatBadders Member Unleaded
    I can see the argument to not allow full modification, like changing #'s completely to craft a completely different set of pacenotes than everyone else. What we do need though is the ability to craft unique pacenotes to our style, at least give us modifiers we can use. Let us adjust the 'opens', 'tight', 'line', etc calls to whatever we need for our style. Add a few things like 'fast', 'slow', or even the ability to "tighten" a section of calls.

Too many times there have been sections where a group of calls is just terribly timed for me. The rest of the stage is fine at that particular 'speed', but for a group of them I want them bit earlier or maybe even have them rapid-fire for something like "right 6 - left 4 - line right 6 - CARE left 3" would be monumental. It's not for all the calls either, there are just instances where I'm carrying way more speed into that group than the current cadence isn't suited for - let me adjust those!
    Dirt Rally | G27 | Predator x34 | Oculus Rift | Rhinegeist Truth

I enjoy a game that kicks my ass. If I'm not cussing, this **** is too easy.
    ability to "tighten" a section of calls
    This reminds me- I like precise pacenotes, so hearing "tightens" is not enough IMHO, having something like:
    "4 left tightens to 2 plus" is what I would like to get by modifying. Not to mention drive line hints- like "keep in on the exit" etc. Usually this kind of calls are super driver specific, I don't think it can be achieved by unified pacenotes system for everyone. 
  • CatBaddersCatBadders Member Unleaded
    SamRWD said:
    ability to "tighten" a section of calls
    drive line hints- like "keep in on the exit" etc. Usually this kind of calls are super driver specific, I don't think it can be achieved by unified pacenotes system for everyone. 
    This is definitely the big thing I'd want out of pacenote modification. I don't need a completely rewritten set of pacenotes, but what I do need is the ability to change the "attack" of the pacenotes. For some sections I want them detailed and constant with personal mods like "stay inside - fast" and for others I want them really early comparatively. But this all comes down to driver preference for that specific section.

I think straddling the middle-ground of not letting players completely change corner #'s but allowing them to add personal modifiers to all calls/timings is the absolute best of both worlds. Keeps everyone even with the same notes with the bonus of added adaptability. 
    Dirt Rally | G27 | Predator x34 | Oculus Rift | Rhinegeist Truth

I enjoy a game that kicks my ass. If I'm not cussing, this **** is too easy.
  • mesamesa Member Co-Driver
    Yes, but i wish more: a real chance to replace words by any other.
    Then people should upload their local langugae files for local pacenotes, even replace a co-drivers vioce to another.
    CM should add a menu to select a phrase and record or upload a wav file to replace it. Then the DR 2.0 should use the new custom voices or even left the original by decision of a user.
    G
    M
    T
    Detect languageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu
    AfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu
    Text-to-speech function is limited to 200 characters

- mesa -

https://www.facebook.com/MesasArtworks
    More liveries / mods of mine at
    http://mesasartworks.hu

Logitech G27 w OMP 350 mm