Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Is the hardest tyre in a weekend too slow?

haitch40haitch40 Member, Drivers Pit Crew
I mean China. It is apparently quicker to run 4 stops than run 3 and run the medium at the end, like that isn't realistic in the slightest.

Comments

• ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Pit Crew
    Is this due to running an R&D race strategy? Sometimes it can throw up unusual things.
  • ZachrulezZachrulez Member Wheel Nut
    Don't take the estimated race time as gospel.
  • haitch40haitch40 Member, Drivers Pit Crew
    Is this due to running an R&D race strategy? Sometimes it can throw up unusual things.
    Cant run that due to the fuel bug atm

Zachrulez said:
    Don't take the estimated race time as gospel.
    I don't but as long as the softer tyre isnt overheating its generally a rubbish tyre to run from my tries on it.
    Isn't the tyre allocation for China... Ultra, Soft, and Medium? Seems like a no brainier two stop from Ultra/Soft/Soft?
  • Dez0808Dez0808 Member Pit Crew
    I think this is an issue with F1 at the moment rather than the game. Unless someone has a first incident the harder tyre is rarely used
    Agreed, its going back to 2013'ish where its more management than racing again. It was getting better seeing much more racing, even Max proving it when he was burning rubber regularly and getting away with it. If its only going to be all 1 stop races like it has been they may as well be able to go full throttle the whole race. Alonso and others have always voiced wanting that. Singapore was a crazy outcome and Perez doing a Max at Suzuka bumper cars style was quite the specticle but over that one thing it was a very boring management control race.
  • TurtlemooseTurtlemoose Member Wheel Nut
    Agreed, its going back to 2013'ish where its more management than racing again. It was getting better seeing much more racing, even Max proving it when he was burning rubber regularly and getting away with it. If its only going to be all 1 stop races like it has been they may as well be able to go full throttle the whole race. Alonso and others have always voiced wanting that. Singapore was a crazy outcome and Perez doing a Max at Suzuka bumper cars style was quite the specticle but over that one thing it was a very boring management control race.
    Difference is that in 2013 cars could follow another closer than now - so if cars were tiptoeing around on a 1 stop, then others could do a 2 stop and overtake towards the end.
    Zachrulez said:
    Isn't the tyre allocation for China... Ultra, Soft, and Medium? Seems like a no brainier two stop from Ultra/Soft/Soft?
    Yes but I took the softer lot of tyres so I only have 1 set of soft. Talking of which. CM stop making me reserve sets or making me use certain sets in practice, I would have saved and extra set of softs if you let me.
    Yeah it should give you the option of which tyres to actually return.
    I litterally do only qauli R&D on their tyre as its the right one to use then reuse that and just 1 or 2 others for all other R&D, I can't remember the ruling on tyres returned but it always leaves me with plenty of choice race day. I don't like the game naturally tries to get you to waste a new set every single R&D event.  You'll end up with nothing.
  • CaptainAustCaptainAust Member Petrol Head
    You return the 2 most used sets so i run all my programs except for the quail simin the first session on the hardest possible compound then quail sim in p2 and most of the time skip p3 to save parts wear
    I should be more clear, you hand back 1 set after P1 and 2 after both P2 and P3 thats why i always try to use the harder compounds 1st
  • Tomekk92Tomekk92 Member New Car Smell
    The game doesnt even return the two most worn tyres of the session. If i just use my medium tyre set, the game takes away the soft set too you even you havemt used it. There are always two sets per session thats it. 
    Im sure jeff says "don't forget, we have to hand back the 2 most worn sets of tyres so make the most of them" or something to that effect. If the team is handling back an unused set then id be saying this is a 'bug' . Im going to keep an eye on this next race. Maybe the choice of the hand back should be given to the player
    2 sets have to be returned each practice, well actually 1 set has to be returned about 3/4 of the way through FP1 but the teams have free choice as to which tyres they are as long as they aren't one of the 2 mandatory sets.
    Yeah 1 set after 40 mins in p1 then the ebd of p1 then 2 after each other session. But why would a team chose to return an unused set (unless you have only run 1 set that session).
  • tarrantinotarrantino Member Pit Crew
    Yeah if it rains for example you had back two sets regardless. 
    Yeah if it rains for example you had back two sets regardless. 

Official f1 rule
    *Unless both FP1 and FP2 are either declared wet or cancelled, in which case one of these sets may be retained by each driver but must be returned before the start of the qualifying*

• Uday9479Uday9479 Member Unleaded
    I recently raced at China in my 2nd career year with Sauber. As we all know, the hardest tyre is only used for the track acclimatization programme. The fuel strategy programme is run on the 2nd softest tyre or the mid range tyre. The race strategies can be run with the softest & mid range tyres & qualy programme with the softest!

The hardest tyre (medium) doesn't have much grip throughout.
    The mid range (Soft) tyre has both grip & lasts the longest.
    The softest (Ultrasoft) tyre has the best grip but after 2 laps just goes downhill!

In short, the mid range tyre is the best to race on. The hardest is as good as useless. Ditto for the softest tyre.

P.S. - I've noticed the hardest tyre for the weekend (could be medium, softs or supersofts) lack grip & the softest (could be supersofts, Ultrasofts or Hypersofts) wear out sooner.
    Uday9479 said:
    I recently raced at China in my 2nd career year with Sauber. As we all know, the hardest tyre is only used for the track acclimatization programme. The fuel strategy programme is run on the 2nd softest tyre or the mid range tyre. The race strategies can be run with the softest & mid range tyres & qualy programme with the softest!

The hardest tyre (medium) doesn't have much grip throughout.
    The mid range (Soft) tyre has both grip & lasts the longest.
    The softest (Ultrasoft) tyre has the best grip but after 2 laps just goes downhill!

In short, the mid range tyre is the best to race on. The hardest is as good as useless. Ditto for the softest tyre.

P.S. - I've noticed the hardest tyre for the weekend (could be medium, softs or supersofts) lack grip & the softest (could be supersofts, Ultrasofts or Hypersofts) wear out sooner.
    The ultrasoft overheats after 6 laps (100% distance)