Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

[PC] Tips for Diagnosing Frame Stalls During Races

Comments

• SoloWingXSoloWingX Member New Car Smell
    Thanks for dealing with my issues. Means a lot.

I am usually checking GPU/CPU usage via MSI Afterburner/RTSS... But I only had the overall CPU usage enabled until now. I will expand that and check each core the next time and check back.

According to MSI Afterburner NONE of the CPU cores are maxed out during a lag spike.
  • steviejay69steviejay69 Member Petrol Head

Software Limitation

Sometimes bottleneck-related performance dips originate from the software itself. In some cases, programs can be built to handle only a finite number of tasks at once so the program won’t utilize any additional CPU or RAM assets even when available. Additionally, a program may not be written to work with multiple CPU streams, thus only utilizing a single core on a multicore processor. These issues are resolved through rewriting and patching software.

Just throwing it out there. 

edited October 19

Software Limitation

Sometimes bottleneck-related performance dips originate from the software itself. In some cases, programs can be built to handle only a finite number of tasks at once so the program won’t utilize any additional CPU or RAM assets even when available. Additionally, a program may not be written to work with multiple CPU streams, thus only utilizing a single core on a multicore processor. These issues are resolved through rewriting and patching software.

Just throwing it out there. 

I agree the issue must be with the software. My PC is far from high-end, but this kind of problem is exclusive to the F1 series (from the games I play). It would be important to find out what actually causes the issue.

I did a 25% race at Montreal, again, my lag testing circuit, without MSI running in the background, but it doesn't make a difference. The lag spikes mostly happen in the vicinity of DRS/Sector points. Mostly at turn 5 (DRS detect), between turn 6 & 7, rarely in the 1st DRS zone, frequently out of the hairpin, sometimes in the 2nd DRS zone, frequently at start/finish, sometimes into the 1st corner. I actually totalled the car between turns 6 & 7 again due to a lag spikes. (But the race was so exciting I still had the motivation to continue, from dry to rain, awesome.) 

PS.: After the race ended and the game took control from the car, a series of lag spikes occured in close succession. It MUST be related to data writing, or something similar. When times matter (results, DRS, etc.) lag spikes are more frequent.
  • Ash12345667890Ash12345667890 Member New Car Smell
    I whipped out OBS and recorded my two monitors with GPU-Z and Task Manager displaying what my 12 threads are doing. I set OBS to use cores 8-11 and the game to use cores 0-7, so the bottom line of cores is OBS only.

Frame stalls are time stamped in the description of the video.

Youtube's compression mangled GPU-Z so it's kinda hard to makeout, but task manager is easily seen.
    There is a single instance that the frame stall happened during a time where the CPU was loaded at 100% and I'm fairly certain that frame stall was just coincidental with the load. The CPU topped out multiple times with no frame stall and multiple frame stalls in the same lap with relatively low CPU usage.
    As with Solowing, this is an F1 series exclusive for me. I play CS:GO at 400 FPS and BF4 at 200 FPS and you're telling me my computer can't run F1 2018 at 100 without dying?

I'm running a Ryzen R5 2600 and a GTX 1070. Game installed on a different drive than the one I was recording onto.

• PlegeKossuPlegeKossu Member New Car Smell
    @Hoo - I can confirm now that I don't get frame stalls anymore with my GTX1060. My friend also changed settings to same as me, and he too doesn't get stalls anymore with his GTX780. We played online championship mode at Spain, 1 hour practice and 100 % race, both with ZERO big frame stalls.

So this is what we did:
    1. Open nVidia Control Panel
    2. Choose 3D Settings > Adjust image settings with preview > Use the advanced 3d image settings 
    3. Apply settings
    4. Go to Manage 3d settings > Program settings
    5. Create new profile for F1 2018
    6. Set Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance
    7. Apply settings
    8. Boot computer
    9. Set fps limit to whatever is good gor your system. We use RTSS and set limit to 59 fps.
    10. If you use Afterburner, be sure it's the latest version.
    With these settings there was no big frame stalls for us. I monitored GPU and CPU performances, they were both at 40 - 70 % all the time. There was some times when CPU load dropped momentarily more and PerfCap reason 16 was triggered, but it caused only almost unnoticeable stutter. During those times the GPU core clock and memory clock only reduced to base clock values and not any lower.
  • HooHoo Member, Codemasters admin
    @Ash12345667890 - to confirm do you usually see this issue without OBS running and with the game having access to any cores? 

Also, I might be clutching at straws here, but are you able to try that first one-shot qualifying lap with a custom setup using a very high ride height to try and avoid the car bottoming out on the long straights or kerbs and see if this makes a difference?
    Yes, it happens with or without OBS.
    And you're really clutching at straws now. I'll try it out in a few days when I have more time to play.
    Just tried putting the car at max ride height. Tested at my usual lag circuit, Montreal. I did a 5 lap race with absolutely ZERO lag spikes, and a 25% race with ONE lag spike when I was in the pits and crossed the S/F line. During actual driving I had no macrostutter. You could be onto something.

• artworxartworx Member New Car Smell
    edited October 24
    To come back on my earlier post about the gen3 pcie express.

yesterday and today i was again troubleshooting lag spike problems during online and offline race.
    the offline race was 50%, full grid and starting from the back.
    what did i do today after multiple tests.

i looked at my memory 16gb (4x4) ddr3 1600.
    in my bios timings were set to auto, no xmp profile selected.
    with those settings i have lag spikes, recorded it 8 times again and again even Msi afterburner gave those spikes in the logs.

i changed my memory to xmp profile 1, check if the timings are correct (u can see what the timings are on the simm).
    then check if your voltage (1,5volt) for your memory is right. (On auto it was wrong).

after that i did another test 15 laps offline china without any lag spikes.

hope this could help anyone.
    and i hope that the problem is now gone.!!

Edit; 
    tonight again lap spikes, so the above solution did not help.
    seems like everytime the computer starts or the game starts it does something different.!!

Edit 2;
    can't believe it, rebooted the computer everything is fine.!!
    ps rebooted the computer with speakers audio device selected instead of usb headset.
    played couple of laps offline on standaard speakers.
    closed the game selected usb audio headset then start the game again, no problems with lag/spikes.
    you can shoot me, this is annoying to solve i guess.!
    Post edited by artworx on
    So I did another race with maximum ride height today. Unfortunately the major lag spikes are back in the usual place, BUT the gameplay itself feels smoother for some reason. Wow, this game engine... :D

Max ride height. Freezes are time stamped in description.

• HooHoo Member, Codemasters admin
    edited October 26
    @Ash12345667890 - would you be able to send through your dxdiag and hardware settings to our community mailbox? I'd like us to try and replicate the issue on a rig as close as possible to your one. Thanks.

(EDIT) Please could you also let us know what other software you are running and what overclocking changes you've made too?
  • RhapsoddyRhapsoddy Member New Car Smell
    edited October 26
    Greetings.

I would like to share my stuttering/lag spikes experiences on CodeMasters F1 games with you guys.

Spec:

i7-3770K (stock)
    MSI GEFORCE GTX 1060 Armor OC 3GB 
    HyperX FURY DDR3 16GB 1600mhz (2x 8GB)
    Seagate SATA 3,5´ BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6Gb/s
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits

I'm having stuttering in fixed places of the track aswell random places. It doesn't matter if it's time trial, online race 20/20, ultra settings or low settings.
    Taking Germany track for example (my main tests are always here), it will always freeze for 0,1 ~ 0,2sec in the start/finish line. Besides that, almost always it will stutter on "Vettel's crash turn". Also, it happens in the entire track at a random rate, usually each 3-5 seconds. I already tried everything stated here (will try changing headset to speakers and maximum ride height today - everything else was done). I find pretty peculiar that sometimes you try something, it works for one race or two, and then the pain stuttering starts again... I don't really remember what I have done once that fixed it for two races, but I guess it was after one Nvidia update! Worked like a charm for 2 races, then the chaos started again. For a while I tried Vsync Adaptive (from Nvidia) and it worked, only delivering small delays, but it was not enough to me since I play profissional leagues. Even so, VSYNC ADAPTIVE SEEM TO NOT WORK ANYMORE, what's really weird. Don't even ask me if I re-installed drivers (old ones or new ones, from raw instalation), I really did everything. I've tried fullscreen windowed and not windowed, I even tried creating a new resolution even greater than my screen to force my GPU usage (a friend told mee it worked for him). Stoping Win. Update does nothing, aswell closing every other application. Disabling texture streaming did nothing, also. Another friend always run a sort of anti/removing idle memory DOS archive, on win 10, what he says worked perfectly, but he needs to use it always before playing. And now, limiting my framerate... well, I use it on F1 2017, was the only way I finded to fix the stutterings (I use MSI Afterburner - 60FPS). On F1 2015 I also had stutterings, but was less problematic than F1 2017 and 2018, so I never tried to limit my framerate there, but I guess every year it's getting worst. There's a lot of "solutions" all over the internet, but none solved my problem. Like some other guys stated here, there's no real FPS drop while monitoring it on MSI Afterburner, besides there's a drastic GPU usage fall. Dunno about the voltage. My CPU and GPU never reaches above 80%, if it does make a difference.

Oh yes. I'm having those stutterings since day 1. Another weird thing is that my first 2-3 races after installing the game, didn't gave me any stutter/lag spikes. They started after 30m playing and stood until now (fixed for a while in the two cases stated above). Having a look on other people's stuttering problems, I notice that my stutterings are much more a "micro" ones, I mean, for lesser time but with more frequency (ex: Ash12345667890's video, the has seldom stutterings, but it they stay for 0,3 ~ 0,4sec).

Dear CM admin, Hoo.

I really appreciate what you are doing, and I hope we can solve this problem, since it MUST be CM main concern in F1 2018 game. I hope everything writen by me may somehow be helpfull. Everything else I could help, just spell.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I remember back in F1 2012, F1 2013 that I needed to change my settings on NVidia control painel to "Prefer Maximum Performance" on the game profile since it didn't work if I only do it in the global nvidia settings. I even had to do it in other games back in that times. Unfortunately, I doesn't solve anything in F1 2017 and 2018.

Rhapsoddy.

@Hoo I dont use these forums so I don't know what your community mailbox is, could you give me some instructions on how to send a message to it?
  • FayaFaya Member admin
    Hi @Ash12345667890, you can find all the information on how to send in your DXDiag and other items in this thread here. Many thanks,

back again.

As i have typed before i tryed everything from (gen3) (399.24 drivers) (memory xmp profile).
    all did not seem to help.!

after i replaced my psu (corsair vs450) with another 
    all my problems are gone (3 days testing even before the new 1.13 patch).

i noticed with the faulty psu that my powercap Vrel was doing also PWR with high demand.
    i tryed "furmark" in full screen with recording 1920x1080 60mbps to stress my gpu.
    thats why i noticed the PWR on GPU-Z.
    another psu and all problems gone.

there are some lag tiny spikes but it isn't related to psu problems, its more network problems between other people online. 
    i hope that some of you can test it also with another psu.

• steviejay69steviejay69 Member Petrol Head
    artworx said:
    back again.

As i have typed before i tryed everything from (gen3) (399.24 drivers) (memory xmp profile).

i noticed with the faulty psu that my powercap Vrel was doing also PWR with high demand.
    i tryed "furmark" in full screen with recording 1920x1080 60mbps to stress my gpu.

there are some lag tiny spikes but it isn't related to psu problems, its more network problems between other people online. 

If you knew about building systems about peak power draw, etc. there is no way you should have built your system with a 450W PSU, especially with an inefficient 4th Gen i5, 2 SSDs and a 1060.

artworx said:
    back again.

If you knew about building systems about peak power draw, etc. there is no way you should have built your system with a 450W PSU, especially with an inefficient 4th Gen i5, 2 SSDs and a 1060.

If i knew then what i know now.!

this is more for people to try, Maybe they are using underpowerd or faulty psu also.

• RhapsoddyRhapsoddy Member New Car Smell
    artworx said:
    artworx said:
    back again.

If i knew then what i know now.!

this is more for people to try, Maybe they are using underpowerd or faulty psu also.

I don't think 450W (real) is an underpowered PSU to your system. Anyways, I'm not sure now about my PSU, but I think it's a Corsair CX450, what I'm pretty sure it's enough for my system, BUT is something to check since it solved your problem (I'm concerned that those tiny lag spikes may interfer in a a competitive play. Also, tell me if the stuttering come back for you).

Anyway, I don't think an underpowered or faulty PSU would interfer only on F1 games... I play games with much heavier graphics than F1 2018 and I haven't any lag. Well, I'm not big expert at it, but I guess it would give me problems in other games.

More details are welcome my friend!

Thanks in advance.