Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

[PC] Tips for Diagnosing Frame Stalls During Races

13

Comments

  • artworxartworx Member New Car Smell
    Rhapsoddy said:
    artworx said:
    artworx said:
    back again.

    As i have typed before i tryed everything from (gen3) (399.24 drivers) (memory xmp profile).
    all did not seem to help.!

    after i replaced my psu (corsair vs450) with another 
    all my problems are gone (3 days testing even before the new 1.13 patch).

    i noticed with the faulty psu that my powercap Vrel was doing also PWR with high demand.
    i tryed "furmark" in full screen with recording 1920x1080 60mbps to stress my gpu.
    thats why i noticed the PWR on GPU-Z.
    another psu and all problems gone.

    there are some lag tiny spikes but it isn't related to psu problems, its more network problems between other people online. 
    i hope that some of you can test it also with another psu.



    If you knew about building systems about peak power draw, etc. there is no way you should have built your system with a 450W PSU, especially with an inefficient 4th Gen i5, 2 SSDs and a 1060.

    If i knew then what i know now.!

    this is more for people to try, Maybe they are using underpowerd or faulty psu also.


    I don't think 450W (real) is an underpowered PSU to your system. Anyways, I'm not sure now about my PSU, but I think it's a Corsair CX450, what I'm pretty sure it's enough for my system, BUT is something to check since it solved your problem (I'm concerned that those tiny lag spikes may interfer in a a competitive play. Also, tell me if the stuttering come back for you).

    Anyway, I don't think an underpowered or faulty PSU would interfer only on F1 games... I play games with much heavier graphics than F1 2018 and I haven't any lag. Well, I'm not big expert at it, but I guess it would give me problems in other games.

    More details are welcome my friend!

    Thanks in advance.

    There are 3 games i play.
    f1 2018
    assetto Corsa
    assetto corsa comp

    with both ac i have/had sometimes tiny lag spikes
    but it didn’t botherd me that much because it was playable.
    now that i replaced the psu those tiny lag spikes are gone.
    with f1 2018 i had much larger lag spikes, maybe the engine is more heavier then those other games.

    The psu replacement helped for me.
    i hope it will help other people to.
  • RhapsoddyRhapsoddy Member New Car Smell
    artworx said:
    Rhapsoddy said:
    artworx said:
    artworx said:
    back again.

    As i have typed before i tryed everything from (gen3) (399.24 drivers) (memory xmp profile).
    all did not seem to help.!

    after i replaced my psu (corsair vs450) with another 
    all my problems are gone (3 days testing even before the new 1.13 patch).

    i noticed with the faulty psu that my powercap Vrel was doing also PWR with high demand.
    i tryed "furmark" in full screen with recording 1920x1080 60mbps to stress my gpu.
    thats why i noticed the PWR on GPU-Z.
    another psu and all problems gone.

    there are some lag tiny spikes but it isn't related to psu problems, its more network problems between other people online. 
    i hope that some of you can test it also with another psu.



    If you knew about building systems about peak power draw, etc. there is no way you should have built your system with a 450W PSU, especially with an inefficient 4th Gen i5, 2 SSDs and a 1060.

    If i knew then what i know now.!

    this is more for people to try, Maybe they are using underpowerd or faulty psu also.


    I don't think 450W (real) is an underpowered PSU to your system. Anyways, I'm not sure now about my PSU, but I think it's a Corsair CX450, what I'm pretty sure it's enough for my system, BUT is something to check since it solved your problem (I'm concerned that those tiny lag spikes may interfer in a a competitive play. Also, tell me if the stuttering come back for you).

    Anyway, I don't think an underpowered or faulty PSU would interfer only on F1 games... I play games with much heavier graphics than F1 2018 and I haven't any lag. Well, I'm not big expert at it, but I guess it would give me problems in other games.

    More details are welcome my friend!

    Thanks in advance.

    There are 3 games i play.
    f1 2018
    assetto Corsa
    assetto corsa comp

    with both ac i have/had sometimes tiny lag spikes
    but it didn’t botherd me that much because it was playable.
    now that i replaced the psu those tiny lag spikes are gone.
    with f1 2018 i had much larger lag spikes, maybe the engine is more heavier then those other games.

    The psu replacement helped for me.
    i hope it will help other people to.

    I don't think it's my problem, but if I can, I will try replacing it for testing purposes. Thanks my friend!
  • SoloWingXSoloWingX Member New Car Smell
    I have a 520W Seasonic (?). Actually the first game that identified my previous failing PSU was F1 2017, but in that case the PC randomly shut off during gameplay.
  • Zeusus12Zeusus12 Member New Car Smell
    This is really a joke... Month after and they can't figure this out...  Why would you put game on sale if IT IS NOT WORKING?!?!?
    Well, playing Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 and if they fix this till like ever it's going to be great... Just someone call me when they do that (if they do that).
    Probably gonna sell my HEADLINE EDITION (What a waste of money) if fix is not up any time soon. 


  • Ash12345667890Ash12345667890 Member New Car Smell
    @Hoo Message sent. Tell me if you need anything else from me.
  • RodentyellRodentyell Member New Car Smell
    Tried loads of things, if you go over to Racedepartment and other forums you see the same results since patch 1.13, it's not our end all was sweet before the patch, maybe you should look into the patch you sent out..Still present in patch 1.14 game now unplayable..
  • supersnelsupersnel Member New Car Smell
    Since 1.13, the game is unplayable for me again. All was fine until that update. I will post some footage here from the AOR-race that I participated in. 2 weeks of preparation and several hours of hard work and NOTHING. Framestalls everywhere, unplayable and undrivable conditions. I don't know what you changed, but it's not funny anymore!

    I am not hitting the power limit on my card, no hardware issues. Reducing settings and etc. didn't help.
    Footage from me and the people racing against me is coming.
  • artworxartworx Member New Car Smell
    hello im back again.
    after a couple of days of testing my system still runs the game very good.
    i drove a league race in china without any major lag spikes.


    so my problem was the power suply not heavy enough.
  • HooHoo Member, Codemasters admin
    @Ash12345667890 - we're trying to get a rig put together of that spec to run some tests. A few things to try in the meantime are:
    • Please could you send through your hardware settings file (see here for info) so we can check what settings you are running?
    • It looks like you are running two monitors. Try running with just the one monitor connected to see if this makes a difference. I'd suggest connecting just your 60Hz monitor initially, deleting the game's hardware settings file and then launching the game (it will create a new hardware settings file using your current Windows settings if it doesn't detect the file when launching).
    • Try turning off the various overclocks and running the game using native speeds.
    Let us know if any of these have an effect on the issue that you are seeing.
  • HooHoo Member, Codemasters admin
    @supersnel - I'm sorry that the issue has returned. I believe you were running the game using a frame cap from Insights (or similar software). Have you tried disabling that frame rate cap and using the in-game one as there is a chance that these are conflicting?
  • xdannilxdannil Member New Car Smell
    I haven't seen it mentioned, but for me the worst stuttering/lag is in career mode. At Baku and P1 I get severe lags like three or four times a lap (0.5s), whitch makes it almost imossible to complete a lap without hitting a wall.

    However, in Time Trial and a single Grand Prix I only get the "microstuttering" that is a little annoying but not crucial.

    Can it be something about my career file that had been the same since release date? Should I reset it?

    (My GPU is a GTX 1060 6MB.)
  • HooHoo Member, Codemasters admin
    @xdannil - there shouldn't be anything in the save file which would affect performance, so I wouldn't recommend deleting your career save. You could try and start a new career profile and see if that also suffers from the same issues? 

    Time Trial is generally easier on performance as there is only one proper car on track. However, Grand Prix and Career mode should be close. It'd be good to know if others are seeing similar patterns with career mode being noticeably worse than Grand Prix mode.
  • abmatt2002abmatt2002 Member New Car Smell
    edited November 8
    I have had enough.  Since patch 1.13 the game is almost unplayable in career and online.  Just done a career mode race in azerbijan and the stalls were so bad, the car stuttered around the whole track.

    Mine ssues mainly occur on bends, bumpy track sections and if near other cars.

    I've tried everything talked about here but nothing works.

    My specs are:
    AMD Fx 6300 3.50 Ghz 6-core
    Geforce 160 GTX 6 gb
    16 gb ram
    Game installed on its own SSD
    Win 7 home premium

    DxDiag sent in.
  • xdannilxdannil Member New Car Smell
    Ok, career mode suddenly works much better, and game seem to be playable again (the career save is the very same).

    All I did was to install new Nvidia drivers (416.81) and turned off Rapid mode on my Samsung SSD drive. (I don't know which fixed it).
  • HooHoo Member, Codemasters admin
    Hi @xdannil - that's great news. I'd be really interested to know if Rapid Mode was a factor in causing your issue. Do you have any desire to turn it back on again and see if the stuttering comes back? 
  • abmatt2002abmatt2002 Member New Car Smell
    Since my last post I’ve run the sound through my gfx card instead of the motherboard and the game has improved dramatically. Still have some micro stutter and the odd stall(0.2s), but it is loads better. 
  • xdannilxdannil Member New Car Smell
    Hoo said:
    Hi @xdannil - that's great news. I'd be really interested to know if Rapid Mode was a factor in causing your issue. Do you have any desire to turn it back on again and see if the stuttering comes back? 
    Ok, I tested to reenable Rapid Mode, and ran two laps. I had one lag for about 0.3 s, but now I'm in P2 for the same career. It seems to be somewhere in between of the best and the worst. Even before I didn't do very many laps, though, so I will try it out some more and see if I come to a pattern when I have the time. I'll tell you when I have something more about it.
  • steviejay69steviejay69 Member Petrol Head
    Since my last post I’ve run the sound through my gfx card instead of the motherboard and the game has improved dramatically. Still have some micro stutter and the odd stall(0.2s), but it is loads better. 
    Dang, that's scientific. Fixed...sort of....perhaps.

  • xdannilxdannil Member New Car Smell
    @Hoo
    Now I have tried 10 laps with Rapid Mode on, and 10 laps with Rapid Mode off. For both I did 10 ordinary laps (no practice program) in P2 at Baku in my career.

    Rapid Mode on: 4 severe lags (on the straights lyckily) and some microstuttering that I didn't count.
    Rapid Mode off: 1 severe lag and a lot less microstuttering. Important though, I'm not sure that the characteristics of the lag was exactly the same. It was more like a drop in framerate than all of the previous which were more of a total freeze, so my guess is that it was actually caused by something else.

    For me it seems quite clear at the moment. I will play with Rapid Mode off from now on.

    My rig: i7-3820 3.6GHz, 8 Gb RAM, 64 bit Win10, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500Gb with firmware EMT03B6Q, Logitech Driving Force GT.
  • steviejay69steviejay69 Member Petrol Head
    xdannil said:
    @Hoo
    Now I have tried 10 laps with Rapid Mode on, and 10 laps with Rapid Mode off. For both I did 10 ordinary laps (no practice program) in P2 at Baku in my career.

    Rapid Mode on: 4 severe lags (on the straights lyckily) and some microstuttering that I didn't count.
    Rapid Mode off: 1 severe lag and a lot less microstuttering. Important though, I'm not sure that the characteristics of the lag was exactly the same. It was more like a drop in framerate than all of the previous which were more of a total freeze, so my guess is that it was actually caused by something else.

    For me it seems quite clear at the moment. I will play with Rapid Mode off from now on.

    My rig: i7-3820 3.6GHz, 8 Gb RAM, 64 bit Win10, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500Gb with firmware EMT03B6Q, Logitech Driving Force GT.
    I also have the 850 EVO Magician tells me I have the latest firmware on EMT02B6Q and that is the one listed on the support page.

    Rapid mode is OFF and I get 530/508 Seq. R/W and Random IOPS of 44K/43K R/W that is on a laptop on battery with Spectre patches enabled.

Sign In or Register to comment.