Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

How to practice

Hi All is there anyway to practice driving without doing a race.  I need to try and drive with all assists off but when i do it in TT it is not the same performance car as in career mode and I dont want to race yet only practice.  Many thanks in advance.
Ian

Comments

• heideldrumheideldrum Member, Drivers Pit Crew
    Just start a single race weekend and do the long practice sessions. If you also don't want  other drivers on track during the practice, create a private online lobby with no AI drivers and do long practice sessions there. To start an online practice session you don't need other drivers in the lobby.
    MSI GT62VR 7RE - GTX 1070   Logitech G29
  • ian1964ian1964 Member New Car Smell
    HI heideldrum  thank you for your help...I also thought of career mode and before FP1 ends the restart session but not sure if that would work.  Many thanks for your input.
  • heideldrumheideldrum Member, Drivers Pit Crew
    Career mode also is works well. That's what I mostly do after getting used to the track in timetrial. 
    MSI GT62VR 7RE - GTX 1070   Logitech G29
    Cool thank you I see you use Logitech G29 how good is that to the Thrustmaster TMX force feedback.  Does yours have FF
  • peterf1peterf1 Member Unleaded
    in the race pause game you have the option to simulate the race, which is probably better than retiring all the time... though I have not done that a lot and you could lose your contract .
    This is what I get mad at, in time trial I do a 1.26 in spain and car feels great after setting the car up.  When I go back to career mode and do P1 the car is absolutly ****.  1.33 same setup everything.  All I wanna do is find a good setup that i can actually use in career mode.  I think im gonna just throw the game away because i dont understand how things can be one part of the game and the totaly **** in another.  I am driving the williams.
    Thanks in advance
  • PatrickTuckerPatrickTucker Member Unleaded
    ian1964 said:
    This is what I get mad at, in time trial I do a 1.26 in spain and car feels great after setting the car up.  When I go back to career mode and do P1 the car is absolutly ****.  1.33 same setup everything.  All I wanna do is find a good setup that i can actually use in career mode.  I think im gonna just throw the game away because i dont understand how things can be one part of the game and the totaly **** in another.  I am driving the williams.
    Thanks in advance
    Cold green track. You’re lap times are going to be way higher. By the end of the session you should start to be able to turn times close to TT, but not quite. By Q3 the track will be rubbered in similar to TT conditions. 

Example, in Singapore recently for my league practice I was working out my setup in TT. 1:34.820 on HS tires. Go to P1 for practice online and I’m running 1:43.00 down to 1:41.00 on softs at the beginning of the session and a quali simulation of 1:37.00 on HS at the end of the session. 
    realSpirit_of_76    PS4
    Hi PatrickTucker
    Thank you for all your help...I will go through all the practice sessions and try it.

Thank you
  • BrawliBrawli Member New Car Smell
    The way I practice is creating a private lobby in multiplayer and make it 45 minutes of practice so you get 50% tyre wear, 90 minute practice is 100% race tyre wear. If you want to practice quali you will need a 2nd player in your lobby
  • ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Co-Driver
    As many stated, the best way is to practice in the area you use most. For me its career mode so I use career mode to practice, the modes are quite different. Some say the career cars fully upgraded are like free practice cars but for me they don't match up at all, handling or performance wise.
    Free practice and Championship modes should be the real performance of the season and career start should also be the same, and R&D ADD to that base performance. But this is not the case.
    For career practice, do 100%. Thats 3 full practice sessions and qualifying, then either use the race as more practice for your ultimate setup if found to really race test it or sim it. If you get sacked just start over. But different teams need different setups too, so practice in your favoured team.
    Note also just to really mess with you.. Online will be different handling and performance to all offline modes too so you'll want to create a private lobby or race with a mate.
    Carystus PS4 Pro
    "The fact is I don't drive just to get from A to B. I enjoy feeling the car's reactions, becoming part of it." ~Enzo Ferrari
    ChironTheseus thank you so so much for your help that really makes sent.  At least I can do p1-p3 and if i need more then just new caareer with same team and do it all over.  Thank you very much.
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    I often do a lot of running in P1, then quit the session and restart when I'm doing the weekend for real. Useful to get an idea of AI pace also.

VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
  • gianlucac88gianlucac88 Member Unleaded
    In one of my topic I asked to Faya if it will be possible offline run with AI with the same car performance because I play in online champs.
    Nobody's answer me.
    F1 2018 Beta Tester
    -------------------------------------------------
    FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/F1FAMANUAL/  AND YOUTUBE CHANNEL https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC82hywAPp1is5sSf93g4XNQ/videos 
    JOIN US ON TWITTER https://twitter.com/FMP_ITALIA AND INSTAGRAM https://www.instagram.com/f1famanualplayersitalia/ 
    VISIT OUR SITE: http://www.fifamanualplayers.forumcommunity.net/ (FMP - TORNEI DI F1/FIFA | ALTRI GIOCHI) 
  • jrod22145jrod22145 Member New Car Smell
    Pretty sure they aren't going to implement that as I'm fairly certain they've turned their attention to the 2019 edition...if we're lucky they will stumble upon a few fixes for some of their "legacy glitches" and maybe patch them into the game and hope that doesn't cause more problems
    Hi All ok I mastered the Australia track so I done quailifying and was 0.180 on 2nd place.  Then in the race after 7 laps I was 12 seconds ahead of Kimi which I though was wrong.  So I reloded game and set AI to 73 but by first pit stop I think was 14 I was 11 seconds ahead.  After the race I finished in 1st and Kimi was 2nd 7 seconds behind but Hamilton was I think 15-20 behind.  I am driving Mercedes with Ham my team mate.  Is the timings about right or do I need to up the AI some more.  If I go too high then I am about 6 seconds slower than the Williams....

Many thanks
    Ian
    I use the quali sim to determine if my difficulty setting are correct after I complete the program if my fastest lap is quicker than the estimated best lap for my car (not the estimated pole time) by more than a tenth of a second I up the difficulty...in my experience the ai gain about .2-.3 seconds for every one change to the difficulty...as far as race pace goes if my quali difficulty is right on I usually finish about where I should...sometimes I have good races other times I don't but usually that's down to race strategy (I usually try to do something different compared to the default pit strategy) or how many mistakes I make...some tracks are better for the ai and some the player...my difficulty settings have ranged from about 100 at the start of the career to now about half way thru my first season to anywhere between 103-107 depending on the track
    Thank you, how do you know the estimated best lap, where do I find that.

Thank you
    In the garage during practice after you finish quali sim pull up the session info and go to the quali practice program results and look in the bottom left corner it will have a time range i.e. 1:30.200-1:30.500 thats the estimated best time for your car at the difficulty level you've chosen
    Of course you'll always gain about 1 second in actually qualifying due to being able to use Max fuel mode but that doesn't matter at this point as all the estimated times (your best time range and estimated pole time) are based on using only rich fuel mix 
    Ok Cool thank you I am in P2 at the moment but i guess I can do the quali run any time.  Thank you