Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Can't join 5 lap ranked - Error Code NM14

PawelSbPawelSb Member New Car Smell
Hello,
I am having an issue with game played on PC/Steam, version 1.14.
I can not seem to join 5 laps ranked for 3 days already, which is when I've bought the game (it works fine in 25%). When searching for a session, one is located pretty fast, then i can not join the session with information 'session no longer exists'. Subsequent attempts will show the error on race length screen, which states "Error Code NM14"
I have fairly quick internet connection that does not show any issues in other online games (speedtest from this moment, when 5 laps ranked isn't working is ~760/630 Mbps): 

I can not find any information regarding this error code. Could someone from Codemasters team chime in and help me understand what may be happening? Seeing as 25% length races work fine I am uncertain if this is issue on my ISP side and if it is, any information I can relay to them is very welcome. I am fairly technical so I can provide more details which would help troubleshooting if instructed.
As the only reason for which I've bought f1 2018 is to play ranked online, so current situation is heavily affecting my ability to enjoy the product. 

Your assistance is very appreciated,
Kind regards :)

Comments

• PawelSbPawelSb Member New Car Smell
    bumping this post in hopes someone will notice and answer. there is no way to understand nm14 error code by myself.
  • FayaFaya Member admin

Hi @PawelSb,

Thanks for posting. Are you still getting this error when trying to connect to a 5 lap multiplayer race?

If you are, could you let me know a few things so I can investigate?

• Can you confirm if you’re trying to connect to Ranked or Unranked lobbies?
    • Is it a random lobby or that of a friend?
    • How are you joining the game?

• PawelSbPawelSb Member New Car Smell
    Hello @Faya
    Thank you for taking your time to try and help me :)

I am able to join 5 lap rankeds on intermittent basis, but it is highly inconsistent. I'm wondering if it's actually issue on my end or just underlaying networking code issue. Whenever the error appears the code remains the same (NM14).

To answer your questions:
    - issue is happening when connecting to Ranked 5 laps lobbies only (i didn't try unranked, and 25% seem to work ok - didn't have this error there once)
    - It's a random lobby selected by matchmaking (or however it's called in this particular game... built-in session finder? :))
    - Open Steam, Run F1 2018, Pick Multiplayer -> Ranked -> 5 laps -> Goes into searching for session -> joining session -> error "session no longer exists" -> following searches show "Error NM14" on race length selection screen.

It kinda looks as if after finding a buggy session it keeps trying to connect to the same one over and over again. Is there a way to force a new session (ie. clearing cache etc?)

Kind regards :)
  • HooHoo Member, Codemasters admin
    Hi @PawelSb, the error is caused when you fail to make a direct connection to the host machine. Sometimes, this is caused by network issues, but we think your suspicion about a bad network game may be correct in this case as reports of this error type are very low in frequency and so we wouldn't expect it to occur for multiple search attempts in a row. We aren't sure why this is happening though, so will need to investigate further.

If this dead session is still present next time you then you could try playing a couple of 25% sessions which may shift your stats enough to match to a different 5-lap session. Alternatively, you could set your home region setting to a different region on the multiplayer menu which may filter out the bad 5-lap session that you keep matching to (although you will likely have higher latency in the new lobby from the other region).