Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Brazilicious Grand Prix

MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
Ericsson for the win!                  
MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating

Comments

• LukedfrtLukedfrt Member Petrol Head
    Please make it a wet race, i can't remember the last one we had!
    BCFC - KEEP RIGHT ON!!! 
    The best ever - Alonso #14
  • HughesyHughesy Member Champion
    How did Hamilton and Vettel get away without penalties. I'm glad they didn't because none of what they did caused harm although Hamilton nearly did, id much rather the race not get ruined.

What Vettel did was pure petulance, but I get his frustration, especially with changeable conditions. I hate the random weigh checked although I get why it's done.

With Hamilton he first got in the way of Kimi who was on a hot lap, but Kimi didn't back off because DRS didn't close. The Williams wasn't on a hot lap so I don't know why he did what he did when normally drivers back off. But what Hamilton did was the worst thing he could have done, it's the type of reaction a amateur would make.

I so hope we get a crazy race tomorrow, I want a random mid tier team to win.
  • JiggyJiggy Member Petrol Head
    edited November 11
    Well, no mid tier W, but what we do have:

FIGHT FIGHT FIHGT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

• fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator
    We haven't had a proper fight for ages, glad it's back!

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

• GoldenColtGoldenColt Member Champion
    What a great race, and the post race action almost topped the actual race which was great in itself.
  • UP100UP100 Member Race Engineer
    edited November 12
    Honestly I felt like the race was quite boring in the end. It was really easy to guess that Max was going to win the race (if he had no issues) after like 10 laps. Bottas was saving his engine. Ricciardo did a great recovery, but was stuck behind Bottas. Vettel was slow for some reason compared to Raikkonen who also did next to nothing. Hamilton complained about his mediums after like 4 laps.
    The best fight of the day definitely should go for the two Renaults.
    A race isn't more exciting because another driver is winning. Many people called the 2017 Australian GP exciting, because Vettel won instead of Hamilton, but even those positions were changed in pit stops, not by actual racing...
    I'm not saying F1 should be exciting, I'm just stating my opinion that I don't really see anything that made the race more exciting than many others. Maybe it's just because someone else was winning instead of Vettel or Hamilton?
  • MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    I found it exciting because we had the top 6 cars relatively equal on pace! It's so good when those top teams are so closely matched, and it gave us mixed tyre strategies (which didn't work for Bottas and Vettel), some great overtaking by Verstappen and Ricciardo, and generally a close race, which is great!

Obviously the big talking point is Verstappen and Ocon... Completely Ocon's fault in my view. I know you are allowed to un-lap yourself, but going round the outside of T1 and not backing out against the leader into T2 was mad really. It needs to be a clean overtake with a clear pace advantage. Ocon should've got out of it and tried again more cleanly a lap later. Verstappen didn't do anything wrong there. 99% of the time in that situation, the back marker would yield the place. How was Verstappen to know Ocon was going to send one down the inside?

However, I think the way Verstappen reacted by finding Ocon and shoving him about was out of order. Verstappen made himself look weak by doing that. He should've avoided him, or at least just have a word with him instead. Verstappen would've been the better man by doing that. But as soon as you start pushing people around, you lose respect. Verstappen is such an exciting, amazing driver, but I just can't support him when he has such an awful demeanour about him. He loses his cool way too often.

I know we like to see personalities come out in the drivers, but there's never an excuse for physically pushing someone about. I'm surprised at the amount of people on the Formula 1 subreddit who were saying Ocon was lucky that he wasn't punched. I find that mad that they can condone that sort of action.

TL;DR - Ocon fully at fault and Verstappen was totally within his right to be angry, but that's no excuse for pushing and shoving Ocon afterwards.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating
    edited November 12
    I feel like Ocon's penalty was too big considering there wasn't that much wrong with the move. I mean Ocon was the quicker driver, (5 tenths quicker if I read the data correctly) but he chose a **** place to try and overtake. I feel f1's harshest penalty (when not counting DSQ) for that is kind of unfair when looking at every other causing the collision penalty... and also considering Ocon was told to look at his rear mirrors when a similar incident happened in Baku between him and Raikkonen. Apparently Whiting said that it didn't matter to the stewards that Max was the leading car when the incident happened... Honestly I doubt that.
    It was funny though how the Finnish commentator started yelling how Ocon only got 10 seconds stop & go when that's the harshest penalty you can give. The experts just quietly sitting there and wondering should they tell him.
  • AMS97KRRAMS97KRR Member Race Engineer
    UP100 said:
    I feel like Ocon's penalty was too big considering there wasn't that much wrong with the move. I mean Ocon was the quicker driver, (5 tenths quicker if I read the data correctly) but he chose a **** place to try and overtake. I feel f1's harshest penalty (when not counting DSQ) for that is kind of unfair when looking at every other causing the collision penalty... and also considering Ocon was told to look at his rear mirrors when a similar incident happened in Baku between him and Raikkonen. Apparently Whiting said that it didn't matter to the stewards that Max was the leading car when the incident happened... Honestly I doubt that.
    It was funny though how the Finnish commentator started yelling how Ocon only got 10 seconds stop & go when that's the harshest penalty you can give. The experts just quietly sitting there and wondering should they tell him.
    It was stupid to try it on the lead car there, when you're a back marker you can overtake leaders, but you should do so in a risk free manner. 
    | 2016 CM Forum Predictor Game Champion! |
    | Manchester United |  Sebastian Vettel #5 | Kimi Raikkonen #7 |

Finally a long clip about this as the directors just kept showing only the incident. Honestly if Max didn't see that coming, he should really look at his mirrors.
  • MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    I don't think anyone is saying Max didn't see it coming. He probably just wasn't expecting Ocon to continue to stay alongside and fight for T2. 99% of the time, the back marker will yield the corner and let the leader by.