Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

New to F1 Game - Cannot Assign Downshift!

Hi, I have a full racing set-up. Leo Bodnar SimSteering Forcefeedback wheel, Heusinkveld Ultimate Pedals, Acher Button box on wheel and I can assign and configure all my pedals, and buttons except the downshift on the flappy padals. Upshift is fine, but as soon as I assign downshift, I get a exclamation mark instead of the button. (! is on it's own).  I assume this means it's conflicting with something, but I have no idea what. I have not assigned downshift to anything else!  (and the paddal works fine in many other titles).  

Any ideas?  At the moment, the game is fairly unplayable, as I have upshift on the right padal and downshift on a button in the middle of the wheel which makes it a fiddle to accurately hit especially when trying to turn and brake!   

Comments

• SpadeychopsSpadeychops Member New Car Smell
    This is for F1 2018 by the way - version 1.14
  • steviejay69steviejay69 Member Petrol Head
    Remove the button box and try to configure. Or at least unbind every single button and then reintroduce your binding once you have assigned the downshift.

Also verify the downshift in LGS (assuming you are PC) if not, posting platform can be important.
    I'm not stupid, I just don't always have all the necessary information,...stupid.
    Thanks for your replay Steveie69 - much appreciated.

I have tried as you suggested removing (unplugging button box) and mapping buttons to keyboard for shifting up and down and that works, but is not feasible in the long run. ie I'm using my wheel for steering, but have to reach down to keyboard to manually change gear). However, Then re-introduced button box (even brought a new USB 3.0 hub for it) and mapped downshift button first and still get the triangle with exclamation mark before assigning any other buttons or controls (even before accelerate or brake)…. it's so weird. All other games work fine...

I haven't used LGS (I assume that's the Logitech Gaming Software), as I use DIView.exe. I can confirm, that even plugged in via the old USB hub, my new USB3.0 hub and direct into PC that ALL buttons work, including the upshift and downshift. Does anyone know if there is an error log or something I can look at that explains what the conflict is (i.e. What the triangle and exclamation mark actually means)…..

Any ideas? 
    Oh and can confirm this is running on PC - version 1.14 (Windows 10)
  • steviejay69steviejay69 Member Petrol Head
    Thanks for your replay Steveie69 - much appreciated.

I have tried as you suggested removing (unplugging button box) and mapping buttons to keyboard for shifting up and down and that works, but is not feasible in the long run. ie I'm using my wheel for steering, but have to reach down to keyboard to manually change gear). However, Then re-introduced button box (even brought a new USB 3.0 hub for it) and mapped downshift button first and still get the triangle with exclamation mark before assigning any other buttons or controls (even before accelerate or brake)…. it's so weird. All other games work fine...

I haven't used LGS (I assume that's the Logitech Gaming Software), as I use DIView.exe. I can confirm, that even plugged in via the old USB hub, my new USB3.0 hub and direct into PC that ALL buttons work, including the upshift and downshift. Does anyone know if there is an error log or something I can look at that explains what the conflict is (i.e. What the triangle and exclamation mark actually means)…..

Any ideas? 

The exclamation mark is that the button is mapped to another function.

e.g. upshift and clutch are both right paddle

AFAIK downshift isn't mapped to any other in-game function so it must be a conflict between controllers.

USB Hubs are not good I'm afraid, and sorry, the LGS is only applicable to Logitech wheels. I don't know of anyone with your wheel, so a message to Codemasters directly to see if there is support is going to be your best bet. I was maybe reading another thread an mistakenly thought you had a Logitech.

I'm not stupid, I just don't always have all the necessary information,...stupid.
    Again - thanks for taking time to reply.

Downshift is definitely not mapped to anything else - (nothing I have set it too anyway). I have tried deleting the whole controller profile and also manually 'unbound' everything one by one so I'm 99% sure it's not conflicting with anything I am setting.

I agree with your point about USB hubs, but unfortunately I'm constrained by space so it's a necessary evil at the moment. It certainly could be that which is causing the issue, BUT, all my other numerous games all work fine. AND, this particular button box has numerous hat switches, rotary's, push buttons, paddles and even paddle clutches all of which can be mapped to functions within the game - except the down-shift paddle.

Sounds like an email direct to code-masters then... or consign this game to the bin. Which is a shame, because it looks quite good fun!