Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Dirt Rally 2.0 - will it retcon changes in Dirt4?

Personally I am a bit confused on what will be in Dirt Rally 2.0.
Will all the changes from Dirt 4 be retconned, so Dirt Rally will basically be a direkt successor of Dirt Rally, like Dirt 4 never happened? 
Will all handling changes from Dirt Rally to Dirt 4 be removed, and changes for Dirt Rally 2.0 be put directly on the handling of Dirt Rally?

No more "Your track" with random generated tracks, only the handful of handcrafted tracks which you will go through over and over again?

Comments

• SkiddyMcCrashSkiddyMcCrash Member Champion
    DiRT Rally 2 is a direct succesor to DiRT Rally, not DiRT 4.

AMD [email protected]/EVGA GTX 1060 FTW/16gb RAM/OS - Win 10/Turtle Beach X11/360pad                                 View - Front Bumper Cam/No Assists

• RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    edited November 28

Yes, but that doesn't mean they're working off the Dirt Rally branch as a base rather than the D4 one. I would assume the latter TBH as you'd expect it to have any engine refinements that were made.

@nbates66 good post, just about sums it up

Put the Stratos back in H2 please!!!
  • DidzisDidzis Member Team Principal
    But that doesn't mean they would throw away everything that they had worked on for DiRT4. Not everything about D4 was bad, there were some advances compared to DR
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | Gigabyte GTX650Ti Boost | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT + Logitech Formula Force EX

DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | DiRT 4 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport | F1 2015
  • DreamyGhostZDreamyGhostZ Member New Car Smell
    Didzis said:
    But that doesn't mean they would throw away everything that they had worked on for DiRT4. Not everything about D4 was bad, there were some advances compared to DR
    Fixes they've added for tarmac and jumps will be carried on from D4. The handling model and overall physics are the same as DR, but slightly refined to get closer to real life. Graphics engine is the same from D4 (improved tho), but with darker tones to give that "more serious" look.

Things they did right on both games will be mixed on DR2.0.
  • DidzisDidzis Member Team Principal
    I might be in the minority, but I really enjoyed the stage generator in Dirt 4 and i'm honestly a bit disappointed they decided to abandon it in Dirt Rally 2.0. 
    I think more people would've like it (or at least overlooked it), if it wasn't for the strange handling of most cars. I wouldn't mind the samey looking stages that much if the driving was more fun, but driving RWD's felt more like chore than the pleasure they were in DR And the repeating tiles just added insult to injury. It's the combination of those things that brought the generator down 
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | Gigabyte GTX650Ti Boost | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT + Logitech Formula Force EX

DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | DiRT 4 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport | F1 2015
  • DreamyGhostZDreamyGhostZ Member New Car Smell
    edited November 29
    Didzis said:
    I might be in the minority, but I really enjoyed the stage generator in Dirt 4 and i'm honestly a bit disappointed they decided to abandon it in Dirt Rally 2.0. 
    I think more people would've like it (or at least overlooked it), if it wasn't for the strange handling of most cars. I wouldn't mind the samey looking stages that much if the driving was more fun, but driving RWD's felt more like chore than the pleasure they were in DR And the repeating tiles just added insult to injury. It's the combination of those things that brought the generator down 
    Indeed, the generator was an amazing concept. It could feed a large community of fanmade courses, based on difficulty and quality rating, but as both of you've said, it needs way more developing to reach this level.

I do hope it returns in the future. Would be nice to call further games "Little Big DiRT" lol
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    I might be in the minority, but I really enjoyed the stage generator in Dirt 4 and i'm honestly a bit disappointed they decided to abandon it in Dirt Rally 2.0. We all know the flaws in it so I don't need to discuss that , however I do find it to be surprisingly addictive to just simulate new stages and then create a Rally based on the stages that looked interesting. 
    I agree with you: it was flawed but, in my opinion, had incredible potential. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    edited November 29
    I'm the same, I think the tech to get it to work was super, but the limited number of tiles and the lack of variety of them was stifling and tedious. If they could find a way around that (many different angles and cambers of each tile) then great, but there just wasn't enough. Same problem as DR1 had though really (and DR2 will run into), not enough unique kms per location. Until a way can be found to include model more than 120-140km per title (building upon older ones maybe ;) ) this will continue to become an issue.

I'm with you on the handling too - it felt like a few steps forward and a few steps back (4wd was improved slightly, RWD was woeful) - lack of challenge in stages and the lack of challenging AI (and it varying from class to class) probably exacerbated this issue in D4.
    Put the Stratos back in H2 please!!!
  • MalyngoMalyngo Member Wheel Nut

I'm with you on the handling too - it felt like a few steps forward and a few steps back (4wd was improved slightly, RWD was woeful)
    That's probably why I liked the handling in D4 better: I only tend to drive 4WD and FWD, and only drive RWD if I have to to get through some content to get to more 4WD and FWD content, and I really have to struggle through it.
    RWD just isn't for me.
  • Janneman60Janneman60 Member Wheel Nut
    If it is like dirt4 it is towards arcade. So let's hope it is like dirt rally with improvements.
  • AIPacinoAIPacino Member Wheel Nut
    edited December 1
    4WD 2000s were almost impossible to drive tho, out of a sudden the car would just snap. Same problem on Evo VI, with the bonus of massive understeer. That car should've driven closer to the Impreza 2001 but instead it drove totally different and felt like a whale.