Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Why Codemasters shouldn't even release F1 2019

marosimarkmarosimark Member Wheel Nut
A recent post was about how good it would be to release the game "in March like we all know it should". I think most of us don't want it.
You don't want to get a half-ready, untested, 'lacking in content' and 'full of bugs' game. Also, don't forget they can't give us a game in March or sooner, as the car models need a lot of time to make, and be approved. Just imagine how much work goes into a game like F1 2018, 1 year is barely enough for Codemasters to make. Think about other games like Project Cars 1 & 2, Assetto Corsa, or AC Competizione, or anything similar. None of them were made under 1 year because it's impossible to make a fully new game from the basics in this short amount of time. I would say that a year of delay would do wonders for this series. Codemasters should give us a DLC around July with new car models and driver transfers, maybe some basic new features, and keep working on a brand-new game and release it around April/May of 2020.
The post I mentioned: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/141940/this-game-feels-more-dated-than-ever-before#latest

Let's discuss it in the comment section :)
Post edited by marosimark on

Comments

• scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    They're contracted to release a game every year, so they don't really have much choice.
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
  • CaptainAustCaptainAust Member Petrol Head
    They're contracted to release a game every year, so they don't really have much choice.
    I think this is part of, if not all of the problem. Codemasters know they have a contract to release a game ever year until *Insert contract end date here* so they do as little coding as they have too, knowing very well they still have a job next year. 
  • Icecream76Icecream76 Member Unleaded
    thats not entirely true.
    They have the contract to release a title for the year they have the licence for. If they don't release a title 2019 (as an example) they won't be penalized by the FOM/FIA. of course that will be lost money for codies since they paid for the licence that year (and whatever other years they have the licence for).
  • kobra167kobra167 Member New Car Smell
    I hear what you are saying. But game evolution is much faster with a yearly release. Instead of being on the 8th iteration we'd be on the 4th. F1 2018 is much better than f1 2014. With or without bugs. Best thing we can do as fans is promote the game, which will increase sales, which will increase their budget, which will increase their ability to do more faster, and with less issues. 
  • tarrantinotarrantino Member Co-Driver
    Plus how would they fund 2019 and the development of 2020 if they didn’t have a title to sell in 2019? A DLC wouldn’t cover their costs. 
    They have built a business model on an annual product being sold. They’re not cash rich or can lean on other products to get them through. 
  • Barrikada71Barrikada71 Member Unleaded
    It should be called "F1 2019 Beta Bugmasters", the only game where failures are not fixed and accumulate with each patch. What you need to do is not buy a Bugmasters F1 game again.
  • TurtlemooseTurtlemoose Member Pit Crew
    Plus how would they fund 2019 and the development of 2020 if they didn’t have a title to sell in 2019? A DLC wouldn’t cover their costs. 
    They have built a business model on an annual product being sold. They’re not cash rich or can lean on other products to get them through. 
    How much more money do they need to make?!
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    Same ISH different year.

I think it will be one of these purchases I make every few years. Its harder to justify buying back to back years as the game from year to year is always just some nice 'new' (or returning) features built upon the same crumbling engine.

I'd be one of those people they'd make more money from in the long run if their idea's of how a game series or franchise should be delivered in 2018, wasn't so myopic. They do their staff a massive disservice.
    VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
    They’re in huge debt! Made a loss of around £9m in 2016/17 and owed £124m to its biggest investor. 

So if they’re making a loss how do they support a whole year without gaming income? 
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    They’re in huge debt! Made a loss of around £9m in 2016/17 and owed £124m to its biggest investor. 

So if they’re making a loss how do they support a whole year without gaming income? 
    They also have to pay for the license to do these games as well and that costs quite a few million so I've heard.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• SebVet5SebVet5 Member New Car Smell
    So much complaining... if you people know how to make this game without any bug than do it.. al mouths are wide open. I read all topics about F1 2017 all those people who complained that the game got to many bug and saying that they won't buy f1 2018 they just buy f1 2018...these are people who do not have their own opinion and are involved with everyone. Go on defend yourself😏
  • UP100UP100 Member Race Engineer
    If you arent aware, Codies did not get any profit for half a decade until 2015 when DIRT Rally, Micromachines and F1 2015 were released.
  • marosimarkmarosimark Member Wheel Nut
    Thanks for the comments, my idea is obviously full of problems, extremely hard to carry out, so I don't expect anything similar from Codemasters, as their hands are tied. Personally, I really like F1 2018, best game so far from them imo. I hope they can keep it up.
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    Thanks for the comments, my idea is obviously full of problems, extremely hard to carry out, so I don't expect anything similar from Codemasters, as their hands are tied. Personally, I really like F1 2018, best game so far from them imo. I hope they can keep it up.
    yeah for me 2017 and 2018 are among the best games they've done but then I'm not counting multiplayer as I don't play it. At least they're definitely comparable to the games they started the series with anyway  in F1 2010 I feel.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• Ste060686Ste060686 Member Unleaded
    Is it really such a bad game? I'm not an expert of games: I like to play when my girlfriend finally goes to bed to sleep and I have free access to the TV :) But honestly, I find the game very enjoyable. Maybe from a gamer point of view, the experience is different...I guess
  • MrCosta96MrCosta96 Member Wheel Nut
    The game can be enjoyable but you will find a problem here and there that are reoccurrant from previous versions and all these add up, making some people a bit frustrated
  • marosimarkmarosimark Member Wheel Nut
    @Ste060686 I enjoy playing the career mode like never before, so for me, the game is more than fine. But I haven't played with multiplayer much, so I don't have an opinion on a section of the game which affects a huge part of the players. But still, I wanted to start this argument to see other players' opinion.
  • Ste060686Ste060686 Member Unleaded
    @Ste060686 I enjoy playing the career mode like never before, so for me, the game is more than fine. But I haven't played with multiplayer much, so I don't have an opinion on a section of the game which affects a huge part of the players. But still, I wanted to start this argument to see other players' opinion.
    Totally agree. Same as you actually 
    On a side note yes I’m enjoying the game. I ditched 16&17 before the first season ended but now I’m in America and looking forward to the last three races. 
  • DeltaNiwaXDeltaNiwaX Member Wheel Nut
    I think personally it's time we stop bothering with giving them help, because they don't listen to the stuff that is ideal to keeping the likes of eSports up and running fluidly. I mean how many times have you used the @ function for Faya upon matters that are concerning to the integrity of online racing and it's been ignored, however when something else get's @ towards her that's more towards something miniscule and not urgently attentive, she responds to that point? 

I mean time and time again, we find new things to have a gripe about, but the point is that if they want our help to make these games better for future generations of people/consoles. They need to hear everyone out, not just ones that seem simple enough to fix, or something that will keep 10% of the buyers happy. Yes offline and career mode are high buyers aspects to people buying the game, but if you do that, then you may as well NOT incorporate online at all, you may as well go back to the PsX/Ps2 aspect making F1 games completely offline only and then you'd see how many people would buy the game. 

Some of you will disagree with me, many of you do. Others always love to find a way to shut my theories and thoughts down, but really at the end of the day, I'm someone who wants to be able to bring a mass community together to race and have fun while also being competitive in league racing. I'm sure those from PRL, AOR and all those big name leagues would agree with me on this, being a league owner myself. And right now all we're doing is finding more and more glitches, bugs and lag spikes that are making the racing very very hard to broadcast, race in and more importantly steward. 

I don't ask for a lot when it comes down to it, maybe the stuff I ask for might be a little in the 'too hard' basket. The spectator crashing thing, if it was easy enough to remove, it must be just as easy to put it back in. All I ask, is that codies stop playing 'sides' when it comes to what they should be fixing, and look at EVERYONE'S perspective, because if they start doing that. Then we'll have less complaints on the forum, more positivity and they'll be able to bring out new games that people will buy and keep them going.
    Trans-Nation Formula 1 World Championship head chairman and operator. 
    Multiple Trans-Nation Challenge World Champion (2017/2018 and 2018) 
    http://trans-nation-f1.boards.net/
    Join today!