Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

My idea to improve ERS management on MFD - Feedback needed

So as it is right now, the ERS modes order is a little bit weird and confusing.
We have: None -> low -> medium -> high -> overtake -> hotlap

But we all know that overtake mode is actually more harsh on the battery charge and gives higher top speed than hotlap mode (there are a lot of videos on YT the clearly show this behavior).

My idea is to make the overtake mode to function as it is in real racing, that is an ON/OFF switch, to be used for a slight amount of time either to attack a position or defend oneself from being overtaken.

My proposed solution:
On MFD: None -> low -> medium -> high -> hotlap 
Whilst on hotlap mode, keeping the ERS+ button pressed enables the overtake mode (so it would work as the old KERS button on F1 2013 and earlier)

Pros of this idea:
  • It makes the MFD functions clearer
  • Overtake mode would be used as it is supposed to be
  • Lower risks to drain the battery charge for no reason
Con: this could make the key binding a little bit more complex (as you have to press an additional button while driving) so my proposal is to make it as an option to the user, whom can choose to use the ERS management as it is right now (toggles) or as "real mode" (toggles + switch to OT).

Please let me know your opinion about this.

Bye

Comments

• oner7oner7 Member Unleaded
    I know it is a different issue but automaticaly closed MFD after using ERS hotkeys is inacceptable. It should be fixed....
  • D4rioD4rio Member Wheel Nut
    edited December 2018
    oner7 said:
    I know it is a different issue but automaticaly closed MFD after using ERS hotkeys is inacceptable. It should be fixed....
    They're already aware of this issue. Whether this will be eventually fixed or not, is another matter...
  • SoluxFinSoluxFin Member Unleaded
    oner7 said:
    I actually like that, because I mapped MFD + and - with look around. Meaning when I use arrow left and right while MFD is up, it changes the values and when it's closed, I can look left or right.
  • DaveDave12345DaveDave12345 Member Unleaded
    It shouldn't me low-medium-high, that's not how it works.

You'd be better doing it something like this:

None - No deployment
    Charge - Low Deployment, with priority on charging
    Race Start Mode - High deployment at the higher end of the rev range
    Race Mode - General race mode
    Overtake Mode - Short use Deployment boost (timed)
    Qualifying Mode - General qualifying mode
    Q3 (Party) Mode - For your Q3 hotlap, most deployment, least charge

The system should also stop deploying and harvest towards the end of the straights, as in real life.
  • ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Co-Driver
    I could be wrong but I imagine hotlap is last due to being faster over the course of a lap rather that overtake which may give more boost but affects cornering more. I give noticeably better laps on hotlap over overtake so I take it still as a faster mode.
    Carystus PS4 Pro
    "The fact is I don't drive just to get from A to B. I enjoy feeling the car's reactions, becoming part of it." ~Enzo Ferrari
  • jrod22145jrod22145 Member Unleaded
    It would be nice to know exactly what the deployment and regeneration rates were for each mode...also being able to switch the mgu-h from storing to battery to deploying to the engine and vice versa would be an upgrade...another would be to be able to program your cars ers to automatically switch throughout the lap automatically like I understand it to be IRL...Like have an auto mode that copies how you switched it around during the ERS program (I'm not talking about the ERS assist b.s. because it's inefficient as heck from what I understand I've only ever played manual) so you dont have to constantly be changing modes like I do now the whole race...i.e. say it's near the end of my stint and most of the people around me have pit and I'm trying to stretch a set of tires a few more laps for a more advantageous one stop you could set it to auto and really just focus on saving the tires and driving to a delta time then once you stop and rejoin with everyone else go back to adjusting it on the fly to either defend, pass, extend a gap or whatever...because I'm pretty certain the real F1 cars use GPS and computers and stuff to make most of the harvest/deploy decisions...also I like the idea of an overtake button rather than a mode per se and would support a whole separate button map as opposed to being an extension of the ERS+ button...One reason is I don't run in hotlap very often during my races and it would be harder for me to go up to hotlap and then hold for overtake and would like to go from say medium or low coming out of an apex and jump to overtake right as I hit full throttle and blast down the main straight then go right back to low near the end of the straight...two is that's how in works in a real F1 car...they've all got an overtake button that provides maximum power...and three is I'm about to get the Fanatec F1 2018 Limited Edition wheel when it ships Jan 15th so I'm going to have a ton of buttons, dials, switches, joysticks and knobs to program so the more realistic features the better for me 😊😊
  • jrod22145jrod22145 Member Unleaded
    It shouldn't me low-medium-high, that's not how it works.

You'd be better doing it something like this:

None - No deployment
    Charge - Low Deployment, with priority on charging
    Race Start Mode - High deployment at the higher end of the rev range
    Race Mode - General race mode
    Overtake Mode - Short use Deployment boost (timed)
    Qualifying Mode - General qualifying mode
    Q3 (Party) Mode - For your Q3 hotlap, most deployment, least charge

The system should also stop deploying and harvest towards the end of the straights, as in real life.
    The party modes they were talking about affected the ECU and engine mapping not the ERS deployment from what I understand...but I like your idea none the less...what are your thoughts on being able to program your 'general race mode' setting in say the ERS practice program? (see my original comment above for more details and an example)
  • FayaFaya Member admin
    I've removed a number of off topic posts. Please stay on topic and remain civil. Thanks.
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    Perfectly happy with the existing "None -> low -> medium -> high -> overtake -> hotlap"

And please bring back the ability to cycle right past 5 to 0 or  cycle left past 0 to 5 as was previously possible. Why was that even changed?? Doing a lot of 0 to 4 to 0 to 4 to 0. That would be 4 key presses each change. Being able to cycle it was only 2.

YOU'VE DOUBLED MY KEY PRESSES!!! SHAME ON YOU!!!111!!!

/sarc

VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
  • vincenzo19vincenzo19 Member Wheel Nut
    Faya said:
    I've removed a number of off topic posts. Please stay on topic and remain civil. Thanks.
    Yet not replied to any of the on topic posts... 

Good job.