Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Grid starts sucks

I keep making perfect starts on this game but always go from 5th or 6th to like 11th anyway. I have 1423 RD points and power is way up. What is going on?
I lose just about every duel on grid starts even though I win every qualifying duel by at least 3 seconds. But as you all know it's impossible once you get 5 AI between you and the opponent (they swerve, test brake you, or at a standstill right behind a corner and you crash or lose the race)
Is there a trick I'm missing to getting off the grid? 

Comments

• StKnowhereStKnowhere Member New Car Smell
    That's normal, you don't win on starts.  Although I just ran a grid start race where I had no throttle the first 5 seconds...

Try to aggressively dive bomb and get the inside line on the first or second turn and you will either clear most the pack or get spun out or knocked off track.   Don't give up, keep racing, your oppononent may have problems down track.

Don't be afraid to punt the bots out of the way, they're likely to collide with you anyway of you try to get to the front.  Plus it's fun ;-)

It is a game, not a simulation.
  • ZykloZyklo Member New Car Smell
    This start problem occured in last update together with AI that are driving like first time in something faster than a truck. It is absolutely incompetent coding when your AI can’t make a turn, slides off and chrash.
    My favorite is when they hit you knock you into a corner cut for a double whammy...
  • ZykloZyklo Member New Car Smell
    I can’t wrap my head around AI’s behaviour. When they are infront, they brake lot sooner and park the car on apex. When they are behind, they get incredible toe and brake 200m later than the turn is, smashing in to you. In many cases this result in cutting the power due to Collision or even going off track with Cutting the track penalty.
    Adding the AI inability to stay on track in corners, not crushing into each other on straights and us falling to the back of the grid after the nobody knows why delayed starts, the game turned to an anger management drill.

Seriously Codemasters, fix the **** AI and starts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • elimmelelimmel Member New Car Smell
    Just lost 300points today from mainly grid starts and f’g AI. 
    Didn’t help I’m getting 80% grid starts or sprints. 
    When I thought finally a qualifying race, it’s Monaco or Baku .... 
    sometimes really feel like throwing my mobile agst the wall...
  • Mira241Mira241 Member New Car Smell
    Hey, is there somebody who is faster on the starting grid? Should be :-) but it never happen to me and I have already >6000 trophy points...
  • Ice2kIce2k Member New Car Smell
    I can confirm, i’m ALWAYS getting swamped on grid starts, it’s beyond frustrating. I don’t understand who all the other players i play against are, how are most of them getting such perfect starts!?

P.S. Why the F are the front wheels smoking on grid starts? :))))
    On grid starts, we must be playing agst AIs. 
    If everyone faces grid start lag, cannot be we see our opponents taking off smoothly. 
  • slaytonslayton Member New Car Smell
    Even though your opponent next to you on the grid seems like a legit player, I'm beginning to suspect it's an AI. I have never seen another car in 6th place on the grid lose a place, while I always fall back to 11th, to be then cut off at the first corner where I am relegated to 12th. Even if I manage to pick up a few places, it's not long before the road is blocked due to a pile up and the screen goes black.
  • TH61TH61 Member New Car Smell
    Most of the time now when I see its a grid start, I quit out of it as soon as I can.  If it's a track that I like or need to practice, I may carry on, but mainly I just quit. 
    I just hope the AIs do their thing. Keep a safe distance and avoid the pileups. 
    Happens pretty often. 
    Never give up, good chance the AI's will crash into your opponent and you can gain sector points.

If I get frustrated,  I enjoy punting the AI's off the track :-)
    Almost every single freaking race is a grid start... aarrggh!
  • TH61TH61 Member New Car Smell
    I know that there is an update coming in 'a few weeks' but its so bad now that I'm just going to do the single races and wait and see if they actually have listened to what we are all saying.  Dont need that amount of frustration
  • MannSGMannSG Member New Car Smell
    When I get a grid start I start mumbling to myself “not again”, and I work really hard to stay behind a bot hoping no one swipes me but it’s really a futile attempt, most of the time.

I wonder why my opponents get ahead on circuits like COTAS sector 1 when I am always sidelined by sideways Ferrari torpedoes. None of the bots seem to have basic driving licenses.
    What devices are you guys playing on? I’m playing on iPad and basically 95% of my opponents get MUCH better starts than me, all the freakin’ time. Maybe it’s just the iPad version that has this problem?
    What's you PI and League?

Things got better for me to be able to keep up and pull away from a few cars on grid oaround League 3 and a PI above 1,000.

I'm using an iPad Pro.

But, you do not win grid races on start anyway, surviving the first couple of turns is more important.
  • Mira241Mira241 Member New Car Smell
    I have 8000 cup points and 1263 PI... All my used R&D cards are the Epic ones on level 2...
    And I still have one of the slowest car on the start grid... Hey Codemasters, it's not funny anymore... 
    My PI and R&D cards are about the same (48 pts) and I start mid pack on grid starts.  Usually pass very few cars befor the first turn so don't think it is just you.
    But, you do not win grid races on start anyway, surviving the first couple of turns is more important.
    It’s no fun when by turn 1 I am 2 seconds down on my opponent and with 3-4 crazy AI cars between us. The race is out of my hands at that point, I just need to rely on the other guy messing up.