Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Comments

• RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    SamRWD said:
    Accro2008 said:
    The previous video is an old version it has improved a lot since then, there is also a pace note generator for assetto corsa that works pretty well already (but could use some improvements) : 

From what i tested (demo pack) I would say it's very good, full version should be available in the future, more informations and download are available here :
    http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/procedurally-generated-rally-league-stage-demo-pack-1.19270/
    If only AC had decent non tarmac surface modeling. Also for rallying rain etc play a role. Not to mention day/ night cycle. Non of these is supported by AC as far as I know. If AC started supporting those, then above tech is all I need. I don't care about graphics nowdays TBH.
    Hang on until Wednesday!
  • gfRallygfRally Member Champion
    With all the speculation of who is publishing what, its got me thinking, many of these rally titles look the same.  Handling is subjective to the player, everyone has different experiences in cars, and controllers.  Interface/Gameplay is also very much personal preference.  However Sound and Graphics are something that we all experience very similarly.

I'm not going to mention Sound, because DiRT is king.  There is always room for improvement and welcomed, but at this point, Codies have the best.

Graphics and Tech is a different story.  There are some parts of every title that are good, everyone does a decent job now with environments, outside of SLRE the car models are all really good, and textures are all pretty well done equally.  

So this leaves tech and effects.  One thing that always comes to the top of my mind watching ANY game is particle effects, very few have accomplished anything really convincing in 3D.  I would really like to see someone push the envelope in looks (and performance).  Since we are talking about rally games, dirt, gravel, and smoke all come to mind.  I would really like to see rooster tails of dirt when there is a loose hairpin.  I would like to see smoke and dust that is not just 'twirling' sprites or various transparencies.  Gravel should travel at difference distances depending on speed.   As of right now, this is somewhat there, but I'm not sure anyone has thought outside the box, so to say and pushed in a different direction.  If you look at any title over the past 15-20 years they have all used the same technique, its only increased density as hardware has allowed.  Obviously I am talking out my bum hole about any type of programming.  
    I just think there are features than can set apart from the crowd.  

twitch: gfrally    twitter: gflinch

• VirtuaIceManVirtuaIceMan Member Race Steward
    JZStudios said:
    *Edit, GTPlanet cites that Codies, Forza, WRC7, and... Race of champions? have all announced an eSports thing, so maybe AC is joining in, and finally adding leaderboards.
    Race of Champions did an eROC event this year using Asseto Corsa
  • SamRWDSamRWD Member Petrol Head
    bogani said:

Yeah, but as someone else said, without junctions or landmarks the stages basically just becomes winding endless roads that just seem artificial.

It's still impressive though for a one man job.
    True, but that's something we have to accept for now. Until we get to import real world road GPS data into some kind of editor and quickly generate real world stages. X-plane flight simulator does it very well- it uses Open Street database to generate real world road net. Same with building placement. 

• boganibogani Member Champion
    edited February 18
    Btw, am I alone in thinking D4 uses different scaling? When I switch from D4 to DR everything seems much more narrow in D4. The Swedish roads for example seens much more realistic in width through dash cam in Dirt Rally. I just perceive it as it's easier to see the road ahead in DR.

I double checked with Codies that 0.6 FOV is the exact same value in both titles btw.
    Post edited by bogani on

"I had the biggest moose problem in my whole life I think"

"Was it on the side of the road?"

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• KevMKevM Member Champion
    I dunno.  To me, Sweden in DR are probably the best rounded stages in the game.  They suit the V2 handling to a T.  They are technical & get you into a real rhythm.  If the stage clicks for the driver, you can properly commit.  & the change in surface really mixed things up.

i played D4 Sweden maybe twice in total....  The handling & the stages just didn’t gel like before
  • PorkhammerPorkhammer Member Champion
    KevM said:
    I dunno.  To me, Sweden in DR are probably the best rounded stages in the game.  They suit the V2 handling to a T.  They are technical & get you into a real rhythm.  If the stage clicks for the driver, you can properly commit.  & the change in surface really mixed things up.

i played D4 Sweden maybe twice in total....  The handling & the stages just didn’t gel like before
    Yeah Dirt 4's Sweden was pretty poor for some reason.
    "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza" -michaelangelo
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    edited February 19
    KevM said:

The narural flow of the road has gone missing to some extent with Your Stage sadly. It's so many strange off cambers and bumps that make driving more of a hassle than a joy. Wales is equally frustrating.

I prefer Michigan since it's pretty flat with lots of crests instead of bumps.
    Post edited by bogani on

"I had the biggest moose problem in my whole life I think"

"Was it on the side of the road?"

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• versediversedi Member Champion
    edited February 19
    KevM said:

Not "some" reason, it's actually quite obvious.

Too many crests/bumps/terrain changes. It's a rollercoaster. 

bogani said:
    Porkhammer said:
    KevM said:

The narural flow of the road has gone missing to some extent with Your Stage sadly. It's so many strange off cambers and bumps that make driving more of a hassle than a joy. Wales is equally frustrating.

I prefer Michigan since it's pretty flat with lots of crests instead of bumps.

This.
    It destroyed the joy of Wales for me. 
    versedi said:
    KevM said:

Not "some" reason, it's actually quite obvious.

Too many crests/bumps/terrain changes. It's a rollercoaster. 

I meant more along the lines of "they did it so well in Dirt Rally, so how did they manage to ruin it in Dirt 4?" :D
  • MrDeapMrDeap Member Wheel Nut
    You mean how the car curve so well in the air?
    Sabertooth X79|Core i7 3930K 4.3GHz|Zalman CNPS12X|Kingston HyperX 8X4GB CL9|Gigabytes 980Ti G1 6GB|14TB storage|X-Fi Titanium HD|SuperNOVA 1300 G2|Corsair 800D
    MrDeap said:
    You mean how the car curve so well in the air?
    I'm talking about Sweden, not the physics.
  • dwkGraveydwkGravey Member Race Engineer
    Dirt 4’s Sweden is the first time I’ve enjoyed Sweden in a rally game. I’ve been driving it in the R4 Subaru and the 2001 Subaru, and been having a lot of fun with the stages when the speed is up and the tires are really grabbing the surface. 
    edited February 19
    dwkGravey said:
    Dirt 4’s Sweden is the first time I’ve enjoyed Sweden in a rally game. I’ve been driving it in the R4 Subaru and the 2001 Subaru, and been having a lot of fun with the stages when the speed is up and the tires are really grabbing the surface. 
    I can't tell you not to enjoy it, of course - each to their own! I'm just saying that it's nothing like Sweden at all. Dirt Rally's version was much, much closer to reality. Probably because they used real stages as reference but yeah! :D

I personally really like Wales in Dirt 4 though, while some others do not. Different strokes for different folks. I don't know how accurate it is compared to the real thing. I just know I like the roads.
  • nbates66nbates66 Member New Car Smell

I personally really like Wales in Dirt 4 though, while some others do not. 
    Maybe has something to do with how well people are adapting to the cars behavior transitioning between the extreme downhill and uphill corners(it feels like the maximum decline and incline angles are much greater in Dirt 4).
  • BadD0gBadD0g Member Team Principal
    nbates66 said:

Maybe has something to do with how well people are adapting to the cars behavior transitioning between the extreme downhill and uphill corners(it feels like the maximum decline and incline angles are much greater in Dirt 4).
    That's one of the reasons I don't like Wales in Dirt 4 - the inclines seem so ridiculously steep that it really takes me out of it. I've never been to Wales so I can't say if it's realistic or not, but it seems really overexaggerated.
    |  CPU: i7-4790K  |  RAM: 16GB  |  GPU: MSI 970  |  OS: Win7  |  [D0gfish] on Steam
    Dirty Forumers League - "Missile vs Bullet" 3rd place 
  • RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    BadD0g said:
    nbates66 said:

That's one of the reasons I don't like Wales in Dirt 4 - the inclines seem so ridiculously steep that it really takes me out of it. I've never been to Wales so I can't say if it's realistic or not, but it seems really overexaggerated.

There certainly are sections like that in the forests, especially the ones portrayed in game (Hafren/Myherin area), but it's less of a constant than in game. Myherin is famously hilly.
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    edited February 20
    BadD0g said:
    nbates66 said:

I have only been to Wales a handful of times, but during those visits the country seemed to mainly consist of hills and rain.
    Post edited by tbtstt on

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• Madhun1967Madhun1967 Member Pit Crew
    wish we had the altitude setting to fix that :)

• dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    i hope to god nothing in the next game is based on wales in dirt 4. wales in dirt rally was amazing. in dirt 4 bland.

played some dirt 4 yesterday and was actually having fun in the lancia and australia.its not a bad game its just not as good as dirt rally.