Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Comments

• tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    edited May 16
    I’m curious to know if players of DiRT Rally that use just a controller prefferred the handling model of DiRT Rally or DiRT 4?
    DiRT Rally                                                                                                                    

I actually disagree, though I wonder if that's due to our preference in cars @SkiddyMcCrash ?

I mostly play with the modern 4WD and rallycross Supercars, all of which I thought were better in DiRT 4. Of those the rallycross cars felt the biggest improvement to me, as the cars no longer seemed to "snap" like they did in DiRT Rally.

I didn't think the RWD felt as good in D4. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• LudwigVonMisesLudwigVonMises Member Pit Crew
    carpa said:

This is because the E-Sports championship round is run at the same time. I don't think this is related to anything else.

EDIT: By the way, poor Quentin Gilbert. His crash is on most Portugal rally adverts I see. The man's fail is immortalized.
    I think the intrigue is coming from the two question marks in the Tweet.
  • Janneman60Janneman60 Member Unleaded
    Here’s a thought, if Codemasters really are working on WRC 2018 and are now the official licence holders, ...do you think they’ll go for the more ‘sim-cade’ handling style of recent F1 games? or do you think they’ll go for the more ‘simulation’ focussed handling of DiRT Rally given its reception when compared to DiRT 4?

Personally I really think that if they do have the official licence then they will want to do similarly to what they’ve done with the F1 games any try to maximise the sales and appeal of the games to newcomers, meaning they’ll probably go for a more ‘sim-cade’ and approachable handling style. 
    I also think that if they were to return to the more ‘simulation’ focussed approach then they could use the ‘DiRT Rally’ name as a spin off series for the more hardcore players, ie DiRT Rally 2, 3 etc
    You can have like in D4 two different physics, just leave arcade physics like they were in DiRT4 and tweak Sim physics a bit (R5's and R2's are good in my opinion)

Please NO. Dirt 4 is far away from being any kind of simulator. Dirt rally is way better.
  • VirtuaIceManVirtuaIceMan Member Petrol Head
    edited May 17
    Hmm, hello Meeke's WRC C3 in The Crew 2 (at 16:35): 
    The Crew 2 also has the Red Bull RB13 from 2017 in it too! In a series that amusingly is called Alpha Grand Prix lol
  • JZStudiosJZStudios Member Champion
    edited May 17
    Accro2008 said:
    DiRTy gossip thread right now :

Tell me if i forgot anything.  :#
    As a fan of his, I appreciate the inclusion of Craic, but am disappointed at the lack of Jeff Bridges and Kebab.
    *edit, Craic and the Kebab have been adressed, but I still miss ol' Porky.

The Crew 2 also has the Red Bull RB13 from 2017 in it too! In a series that amusingly is called Alpha Grand Prix lol
    All I can say about The Crew 2 is... I wouldn't look that forward to it.
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    JZStudios said:
    Accro2008 said:
    DiRTy gossip thread right now :

Tell me if i forgot anything.  :#
    As a fan of his, I appreciate the inclusion of Craic, but am disappointed at the lack of Jeff Bridges and Kebab.
    *edit, Craic and the Kebab have been adressed, but I still miss ol' Porky.

All I can say about The Crew 2 is... I wouldn't look that forward to it.
    I picked up the first one as the free game of the month on Xbox live, and after playing it for half an hour I realised why it was free and never played it again
  • urgaffelurgaffel Member Team Principal
    edited May 17
    Accro2008 said:smile:
    CMMcBabe said:
    Where is the kebab pizza?

It was there all along !
    How could i forgot it.  :#

That is a work of art

*:・゚✧VFX Guy✧゚・: *

• RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    just have the abolity to turn on aids would be best way to satisfy everyone , just like in all sims  nowadays

I’m curious to know if players of DiRT Rally that use just a controller prefferred the handling model of DiRT Rally or DiRT 4?

Good question; for 4WD stuff, probably D4 slightly, especially since the DR patch that improves the feeling on gravel but not when in the air. RWD felt infinitely better in DR to me though and this was my favourite of the lot.

D4 had issues with RWD physics IMO, but that isn't the game's main downfall. If CM had the WRC licence I wouldn't be too concerned about the physics being simplified.
    What's wrong with The Crew 2? The first one felt like a lightweight Test Drive Unlimited with a poor storyline shoehorned over it, but this one is all racing, and looks phenomenal lighting-wise.
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    This does throw another spanner into the works with the wrc license. We know codemasters couldn’t get any wrc licenses cars, now the crew has a brand new c3 wrc...
  • warpengagewarpengage Member Race Engineer
    edited May 17
    This does throw another spanner into the works with the wrc license. We know codemasters couldn’t get any wrc licenses cars, now the crew has a brand new c3 wrc...
    It just shows that they can do a DiRT Rally 2 and have them, I guess. Maybe because of Ubi's budget? Or The Crew is not considered a competitor, so they allow new cars.
  • KingOfCoinsKingOfCoins Member Champion
    I thought it was more of a competition thing. Crew 2 is clearly not a rally focused game so there wasn't much of an issue.
    If you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough
    -Mario Andretti
  • warpengagewarpengage Member Race Engineer
    Maybe the WRC Promoter's stance has changed. Maybe V-Rally 4 will have WRC cars, the next DiRT will have them too. You know, kind of like Porsche got freed from EA and then started appearing everywhere? Wishful thinking perhaps...
  • FedemaisonnaveFedemaisonnave Member, Drivers Race Steward
    Codemasters got the Polo WRC, while it was on the WRC
  • stephensmattleestephensmattlee Member Co-Driver
    urgaffel said:
    CMMcBabe said:

It was there all along !

That is a work of art

Seeing as @ChristinaMc posted this to her twitter page can we take that as soft-core proof that there’s truth in it somewhere? ;)
  • AreyoubenAreyouben Member Race Steward
    Kebab is the truth!                     
    Codemasters got the Polo WRC, while it was on the WRC
    I think they were advised to not make DiRT 4 too close to WRC, hence the dropping of current cars and tracks. Maybe in doing so it helped their chances of getting the license in future, who knows.
  • carpacarpa Member Race Engineer
    urgaffel said:
    CMMcBabe said:

It was there all along !

That is a work of art

Seeing as @ChristinaMc posted this to her twitter page can we take that as soft-core proof that there’s truth in it somewhere? ;)
    Nope. But I'd still gossip on it, just for the sake of it

"I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • stephensmattleestephensmattlee Member Co-Driver
    edited May 17
    Not sure how accurate the sales figures are on vgchartz.com, but it looks like WRC 7 sold just 0.03 million copies according to their stats, whereas DiRT Rally sold 0.51m and DiRT 4 sold 0.45m all on the same platform.   
    Like I say I’m not sure how accurate those figures are but does make sense that the suits in charge might have considered giving another developer a go at seeing what they could do :)