Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Comments

• Oscar97Oscar97 Member Wheel Nut
    What if they got the WRC license but did exactly what they did with the F1 games, and added older WRCars as well as modern ones, R2 and R5?
  • RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    edited May 19
    My mole in the service park just confirmed that the WRC 7 rigs are in the Toyota area.
    Well, it looks like the simulators were, indeed, just plain regular simulators. Games being played are a coincidence. We must keep on waiting.
    Correct. Now we must wait until Fafe, where the big sign at the jump at the end of the stage will say "DiRT: WRC - Fall 2018".
    You know something? After seeing the C3 WRC in The Crew, maybe Codies can license 2017 WRCs for their game without the WRC sponsors and only team sponsors.

If it's anything like F1 or DTM, games can licence a single car from a manufacture without issue. Hence Assetto Corsa has just Ferrari's F1 and Project Cars had just a Mercedes DTM.

And DiRT Rally only had one WRC car.

No idea if it's the same, but those were implications from the devs of those games.
    You're forgetting the i20 and the Fiesta. They were close to final-spec, like the Polo. There's also the Focus WRC and the C4 WRC which are also considered still 'recent'. You can't license a series but, ultimately, the rights to the cars belong to the manufacturers, not the WRC Promoter.

I remember plenty of posts saying "why is the Fiesta the test car, not the original version" and I remember a Hyundai Rally Car (also test shape) with no reference to an i20.

Plenty of ways around it, but DR had all sorts of licence workarounds going on. 

I agree with basing a non-WRC game on R5s, as they were a highlight of D4, but without Skoda it's hard to argue something isn't missing.
  • warpengagewarpengage Member Race Engineer

I remember plenty of posts saying "why is the Fiesta the test car, not the original version" and I remember a Hyundai Rally Car (also test shape) with no reference to an i20.

Plenty of ways around it, but DR had all sorts of licence workarounds going on. 

I agree with basing a non-WRC game on R5s, as they were a highlight of D4, but without Skoda it's hard to argue something isn't missing.
    One of the things that always annoys me about Codemasters rally games is their licensing struggles. I think they may need to hire better people to handle licensing. It was hard on DiRT Rally, I think slightly harder on DiRT 4. That's why part of me just wants them to go as hard as they can, grab the WRC license, so they won't have to deal with all this trouble.
  • carpacarpa Member Petrol Head
    Here is my terrible pic. Watching on my daughter's tablet and I barely got the shot off with my phone. It's DiRT Rally Finland.

Well, other than the game brand, they also seem to be using Fanatech wheels and pedals and a platform I genuinely don't know, instead of Thrustmaster and Playseat who officially support the eSport series... so I doubt this is an official stand created by WRC personal. This was probably organised by a private sim racing company
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    At this point, I hope the codies attempt to get as many R5's as possilbe for a theoretical new game. I find it to be a much more diverse and interseting class than the WRC in my opinion. WRC seems to be really restrictive.
    I'm not sure if I would say that R5's are more interesting than the latest WRC class, but they are definitely on par for me. 

For a lot of years I barely registered what was happening in WRC2, but I pay as much attention to that as I do the "main" WRC class now. I'm sure not every rally fan will agree, but I think the R5 cars look great in action and it's brilliant that they have become the standard choice for so many National Championships (thus meaning that a lot of National drivers possess cars that are eligible for WRC). 

Given how bonkers the 2017-2018 cars are, I would be very keen to see them make them into a CM rally game. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• Jack4688Jack4688 Member Unleaded
    I find them quite boring, R5s don’t seem to have much excitement about them compared to various classes of 4WD rally cars from the past 20-25 years - although that does include various forms of astronomically expensive top-level cars such as Group A and early years of World Rally Car. They don’t seem to cut it with me, especially considering how expensive they are, if the weakness of the top class of the British Rally Championship is anything to go by.

I would definitely be disappointed by a game where a 1.6 (yes the WRCs also have that size engine, but they do have more than 120bhp more than an R5) shopping cars are supposed to be the pinnacle. They could always go down the Gran Turismo route and use real base models to make fantasy rally cars.

Or I’ll just drive the Audi Sport quattro and all the Group A, F2 & 1997-mid2000s WRC stuff...
  • VirtuaIceManVirtuaIceMan Member Race Steward
    From https://twitter.com/wrcthegame: "Time to have a look at what is happening at the real-life rally! #RallydePortugal Prognostic anyone?"

According to Google "prognostic" = "an advance indication of a future event; an omen"

Were they just seeking people's thoughts on what might happen in the event? Or some other news coming soon?
    From https://twitter.com/wrcthegame: "Time to have a look at what is happening at the real-life rally! #RallydePortugal Prognostic anyone?"

According to Google "prognostic" = "an advance indication of a future event; an omen"

Were they just seeking people's thoughts on what might happen in the event? Or some other news coming soon?
    Considering the date of the tweet, the former.

I, personally, think Thierry Neuville. Not sure...
  • stephensmattleestephensmattlee Member Co-Driver
    edited May 23
    Question for everyone ....

Should Codemasters do an extensive  ‘handling’ beta for the next DiRT/WRC?/Rally game?
    Basically where they do a whole beta for the future game focused purely on the handling of all the cars getting extensive feedback from fans of the series.

Question for everyone ....

Should Codemasters do an extensive  ‘handling’ beta for the next DiRT/WRC?/Rally game?
    Basically where they do a whole beta for the future game focused purely on the handling of all the cars getting extensive feedback from fans of the series.

They should do Early Access again. I'd join.
  • Madhun1967Madhun1967 Member Pit Crew
    im in for EA also .Would be lovely, just like last time
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    Not sure if it's a possibility to be honest. I remember Paul saying they will not go down the EA road again after DR at some point.

"I had the biggest moose problem in my whole life I think"

"Was it on the side of the road?"

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

i know it probably wont happen , but really its such a no brainer from a consumer standpoint.Release the sim in its infancy, slowly build it with customer feedback and everyone is happy as "we ' all created it .Tack on DLc on top of the "base" game and keep add ons coming to guarantee longevity.
  • JZStudiosJZStudios Member Team Principal
     i know it probably wont happen , but really its such a no brainer from a consumer standpoint.Release the sim in its infancy, slowly build it with customer feedback and everyone is happy as "we ' all created it .Tack on DLc on top of the "base" game and keep add ons coming to guarantee longevity.
    Meh, then you run into the pricing schemes of things like Raceroom and iRacing.
    RR is awesome and its great to pick up a new car at will off an on and for pennies many times .Keeps it fresh .Plus they keep releasing new stuff all the time .
  • DiRTKiNG808DiRTKiNG808 Member Race Steward
    I don’t like paying for a game as time goes on. I prefer to pay for the game all at once up front and then DLC should be free unless it’s a huge expansion.
  • stephensmattleestephensmattlee Member Co-Driver
    I do think a closed beta or even open access again would be a good move for Codemasters. Does give the fans the opportunity to contribute to the final product, makes sense as they would be the ones buying the game too :)
  • Jack4688Jack4688 Member Unleaded
    I don’t like paying for a game as time goes on. I prefer to pay for the game all at once up front and then DLC should be free unless it’s a huge expansion.
    I’d prefer paying the dev to add more content as time goes on, providing it is a game of the quality of DR. It’s worth it you like the look of what they’re offering and if not, you’re not obliged to buy it. I don’t see why it should be for free because they are afterall operating to make money and pay salaries etc. ‘For free’ would most likely mean hideously expensive purchase price anyway
    the formula nowadays is the way RR and Iracing is doing it.Thats if you want the same game to last with support. Now if its a **** game ,forget it .
    If its a good base sim ,then why not just build on that and realase content yearly or smaller pay  updates to it more frequently.
    i think thats a great way to cater to anyone,especially if  youre picky about this car ,that car not to your liking ?
    Buy only what you want and like .Juts my opinion on it , and i love how RR is still alive and kicking after all these years .
    Base game was free .