Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Comments

• euphoreoneuphoreon Member New Car Smell
    kheiro said:
    Ouch! Looks like an early PS3 remastered title. We are years into the next-gen consoles people. Use the tools provided.
    Kylotonn  (V-Rally 4) is slowly taking crown of rally racing from Codemasters.
    V-Rally 4 is a full-out rally simulator.
    You're nuts if you think that. This will be a half-baked game with a lot of modes not fleshed out at all. Their KT engine is horrible. There is NO way this a simulator, v-rally is an arcade racer.
  • couger1981couger1981 Member Race Engineer
    You can clearly see from the trailer its a arcade game not a sim.
    Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 2018
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• KingOfCoinsKingOfCoins Member Champion
    How exactly? I’m just curious, because I didn’t get that impression from the trailer. I’m stull unsure on the topic of arcade/sim
    If you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough
    -Mario Andretti
  • DarhourDarhour Member Pit Crew
    edited June 9
    First of all, it was quite sorrowful seeing Paul leaving the studio, however, best of luck in your next life. Secondly, that V-Rally looks like a pile of undesirable items! What kind of handling is that? Those cars look like they are floating on water. And also what kind of trailer is that? I bet they failed at imitating the V-Rally 2's intro. The KT's or Milestones's engines are pretty faulty. The cars handle in a strangely arcadey manner.
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    edited June 9
    Interesting comments from Andrew Coley during the World Rallycross Qualifying 2 livestream. He mentioned Dirt 4 and looking forward to seeing more (or words to that effect).

Maybe idle chat, or perhaps a hint at what's to come? 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• DarhourDarhour Member Pit Crew
    edited June 9
    euphoreon said:
    kheiro said:
    Ouch! Looks like an early PS3 remastered title. We are years into the next-gen consoles people. Use the tools provided.
    You're nuts if you think that. This will be a half-baked game with a lot of modes not fleshed out at all. Their KT engine is horrible. There is NO way this a simulator, v-rally is an arcade racer.
    Clearly, he is either paid by Kylotonn to run some stupid marketing assets or stupid enough to be a troll and dodging the fact most of their games are half-baked. Not a single one can compete with CMR2.0 I suppose or sincere with the world of rally, whereas, it is just mad business with a bunch of brainless followers who are lightyears behind rallying.
  • kheirokheiro Member New Car Smell
    bogani said:
    kheiro said:I 
    I'm sorry good sir, do you receive salary from Kylotonn?
    All of you in the comments are nothing but whiners who always find something to complain about in a game.

DiRTKiNG808 said:
    kheiro said:
    I highly doubt that. There really is no excuse for how bad that was. Hopefully the gameplay is 10/10 because it needs to be when it looks like that. I’m not saying it will be a bad game it’s just kind of lame that the visuals take such a hit.
    I think this game is just going to be a generic rallying game but the developers have tried to get attention by sticking a well known and nostalgic brand on it.
    Will wait for gameplay as this looks a bit off.
  • JZStudiosJZStudios Member Team Principal
    tbtstt said:
    Interesting comments from Andrew Coley during the World Rallycross Qualifying 2 livestream. He mentioned Dirt 4 and looking forward to seeing more (or words to that effect).

Maybe idle chat, or perhaps a hint at what's to come? 
    Clearly he just wants another slice of the Pizza and burgers.
    And maybe some of the Queztalcoatl urgaffel was talking about
  • RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    Urgh, they did so well with WRC7, how have they followed the well-worn path to product dilution rather than continued improving what they were praised for last time...?
  • Accro2008Accro2008 Member Wheel Nut
    edited June 13
    Something very different that i found very interesting.

A "review" of the tutorials from dirt rally by a fighting game player who has small experience in racing games.

He makes a lot of very good points on how well done the video tutorials are and how "challenges where you go and do it yourself" may not be the way to go, he also make a lot of parallel with fighting games.

It's a bit long but the interesting parts start around 22min and 30min50.

I think this could be very valuable feedback for codemasters.

*Sorry for the boring post*
  • Smithers1968Smithers1968 Member New Car Smell
    edited June 13
    Urgh, they did so well with WRC7, how have they followed the well-worn path to product dilution rather than continued improving what they were praised for last time...?
    Like Milestone did with SLRE? A great sim let down by dated graphics, poor sound and a whole lot of problems on the PC version (I'm on PS4) I really hoped they'd build on that - or even just fix all the niggles with the original but instead we get the multi disciplined arcade racer Gravel.

I do actually like Gravel. With all assists off it actually feels quite good and certainly fun (nice to enjoy RWD again!) but I'd rather have a proper sim.
  • LudwigVonMisesLudwigVonMises Member Pit Crew
    edited June 13
    Like Milestone did with SLRE? A great sim let down by dated graphics, poor sound and a whole lot of problems on the PC version (I'm on PS4) I really hoped they'd build on that - or even just fix all the niggles with the original but instead we get the multi disciplined arcade racer Gravel.

I do actually like Gravel. With all assists off it actually feels quite good and certainly fun (nice to enjoy RWD again!) but I'd rather have a proper sim.
    WRC 7 is fun and all but it has terrible FFB on the G29 and the physics have some major flaws. And the choppy Quad HD 30fps on the PS4 Pro is really annoying. The game is enjoyable enough and I'm afraid doing V-Rally 4 now will be like one step forward, two steps back for Kylotonn.

Definitely agree on SLRE. Still my favorite rally game. Have a league going on with friends and having a blast. The physics and content are more important to me than the graphics, but the sounds do suck and they are annoying. On PS4 Pro here. Never tried it on PC but evidently it is a total clusterf**k for PC players. Wierd simple things they never fixed: all cars have six gears if you use clutch + H shifter... Classes that have mixed drivetrains show the wrong differentials in setup (the BMW 2002 TI for example shows setup options for the front diff but it's RWD! The car also has a setting for the rear wing but...it doesn't actually have one!)... Some car models are wrong... Nightmare lack of support for multiple peripherals on PC... Lack of ability to turn on windshield wipers to clear dirt... Stupid easy to fix mistakes that were never addressed.

I also wholeheartedly agree on Gravel. You can feel the SLRE physics under there, improved, with better FFB. The FFB is actually very good on the G29. The physics are a bit toned down for accessibility but it's very intuitive and fun. The RWD cars are an absolute blast. DiRT-rally level fun there. And it's now running in Quad HD at 60fps on the PS4 Pro. I would definitely love to see a new rally game from Milestone now that they seem to be finally able to put out a title worthy of AAA status. And the Iceland and Arizona DLC tracks are outstanding.

Bored to death of DiRT Rally now after twelve league championships. We dusted off DiRT 4 for a nine-event league, repeating some rallies and using Your Stage parameters to simulate other rallies. For example using Australia, long stages with minimum complexity we have made the Safari rally. I had forgotten what a huge improvement in physics that D4 brought to the table. It's a shame that so many cars just don't work "right". We have reduced that by sticking to car classes that are fun and intuitive to drive (not one rally with RWD  :() but it has been fun and challenging tackling D4 "like new" and limiting ourselves to "correctly behaving" car classes for some competitive fun. The club system is truly outstanding.

Your Stage is not bad at all after you step away for ten months like I did. But the repetition does start pretty quickly.

I hope Codies is working on something that expands on these half-way improvements. If they can nail the DiRT 4 physics all-around, on all car classes, put at least 10x more tiles per rally into Your Stage, have eight or ten locations, and maybe a couple long hand-made stages, we would be looking at a truly stellar rally title.
  • gfRallygfRally Member Champion
    edited June 13
    With Paul not here anymore, not sure what direction they will go.  I believe Paul pushed for stuff that never was able to be done within alotted times and budgets.  

However at times a pair of fresh eyes can sometimes lead to different innovations and ideas.  Different personalities sometimes click with others and can get things that others can’t, thats just life and people.  Paul is a legend designer of rally games.  But a change of the guard isn’t always bad.  

Lets hope that a new designer makes good on the franchise.  

twitch: gfrally    twitter: gflinch

• RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    gfRally said:
    With Paul not here anymore, not sure what direction they will go.  I believe Paul pushed for stuff that never was able to be done within alotted times and budgets.  

However at times a pair of fresh eyes can sometimes lead to different innovations and ideas.  Different personalities sometimes click with others and can get things that others can’t, thats just life and people.  Paul is a legend designer of rally games.  But a change of the guard isn’t always bad.  

Lets hope that a new designer makes good on the franchise.  
    Well let’s not forget Paul willof had a big influence on the game so far. Dirt 4 has been out a year, so that’s probably quite a lot of development time on the next game already taken place with Paul at the helm
    And I'm also pretty sure there are other Codies who share Pauls vision.
    -Mario Andretti
  • MiatakiasGRMiatakiasGR Member Pit Crew
    Codies did not even go to E3 2018 to represent anything? :o
    Codies did not even go to E3 2018 to represent anything? :o
    Lee Mather is there with F1 2018. 
  • dani211212dani211212 Member Pit Crew
    edited June 14
    actually it does look better than i thought it will be
    Vrally 4 clips  (Skoda R5 is in, and in car selection there is also  Lancer WRC04 and Lancia Delta with martini livery)

edited June 14
    Who was the idiot who decided to keep the old horrible co-driver?

EDIT: the environments look pretty good though
    -Mario Andretti
    actually it does look better than i thought it will be
    Vrally 4 clips  (Skoda R5 is in, and in car selection there is also  Lancer WRC04 and Lancia Delta with martini livery)

Oh. My. God. The WRC co-driver is back. Endless face-palm.