Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Comments

• JepserttiJepsertti Member Race Engineer
    edited January 11
    bogani said:
    Jepsertti said:
    bogani said:
    JorritVD said:
    Dont know if something from CM will come today, I at least hope so.
    So he is doing high 42's a lap while Kristoffersson is lapping at mid 48's at Trois-Rivieres IRL.

I know curcuits aren't 100% accurate but it really bugs me that lap times are so far apart from real life.
    6 seconds per lap is indeed a ridiculous difference on such short tracks. Think about the time difference in final heats; the time in game would be over half a minute quicker.

Half. A. Minute.

I'm sure some of that time is down to circuit variations, but not THAT much. 

So is it down to excessive acceleration or ridiculous corner speed abilities? 

In comparison PC2 is a lot closer lap time wise. 

In my opinion it's because of too short braking distances, car being too responsive to steering inputs which makes the car change direction unrealistically quickly, and way too much lateral grip. You can just throw the car sideways into the corners, slam the throttle and get away with it quicker than if you drove cleanly trying to avoid sliding. Based on what I've seen in real onboards they "roll" the car into the corner with left-foot braking and try to grip through the corner with gentle throttle input because the wheelspin they get from going full throttle decreases lateral grip so much that they go further from apex and lose acceleration on corner exit.

In my opinion iRacing did a good job with rallycross physics. Here's one of my videos from bit over a year ago. The lap was driven in very optimal road conditions (almost 2 hours into the practice session with hundreds of laps by the drivers). A "green" track (a clean track without any laps in) is ~3-4 seconds a lap slower.

EDIT: Just a clarification: these thoughts are based on my experiences with RX in DiRT Rally and DiRT 4. I don't expect rallycross to be radically different in DR2.0 so that's why I decided to write down my thoughts on the lap time issue :mrgreen:
    Post edited by Jepsertti on
    PC: Intel Core i7-2600 3.8GHz ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 O8G Gaming 8GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD | 2TB HDD Windows 10 Pro
    Wheel: Logitech G27 with custom rally rim | DSD steering wheel adapter | DSD longer shifter paddles | Modded brake
    Others: DSD Sequential shifter Rally seat Phone stand behind the wheel (for dashboard) Samsung 42" Full HD LED 3D TV

Steam username: JJBruce

• RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    LutzM said:
    It's 6 weeks from today until it will be released for those who preordered...perfect moment for giving us something today :)

Maybe just some more cars, or some stage names or planned locations for DLC or just one simple YES or NO as an answer to the question, if liveries will be editable on PC as they were in D4 @ChristinaMc ;

Next week we'll hint at what's coming in DLC! And liveries will be as they were in DiRT 4 - i.e. not officially supported.

Not having a go at you personally, but 40 days to go and this is very similar promo strategy as used in DiRT 4 so far, where very little info was released until last minute.

If next week you'll be 'hinting' at the first DLC (which I'm glad to hear will be public knowledge before launch - nice one), will we know more about the base game by then?

Not necessarily the carlist, which I realise you need a lot of signatures on, or highly polished 'trailer' vids, but any word on when we may be able to get answers to some of the questions raised in this thread: https://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/142317/50-days-anyone-else-on-the-fence-and-have-questions/p1 especially regarding the amount of stages & kilometres in game? I imagine it's a similar number to DR1, but confirmation would be nice as this must be known.

so who knows whats wrong? Is it physics or simply too much power on straights?
    Lol, from one clip of a handwritten leaderboard with no game footage? No.
    Put the Stratos back in H2 please!!!
  • Rallystu2Rallystu2 Member Pit Crew
    edited January 11
    Couldn't agree with you more. I feel that without breaking the "hype train" we really should be getting much more info on the bread and butter of the game.
    The stage miles being my biggest gripe. We should be being told about this stuff as people who invest a lot into cm development and games in general. 
    Will it stop me buying the game if the miles are similar to dirt rally? No.
    Will it be a disappointment, yes. But I'd rather know ahead of time and have codemasters explain why rather than just being left to find out on release day etc.
    Force feedback improvements too I'd like to know about early as I've bought a wheel and rig SPECIFICALLY for the new dirt game and am upgrading my wheel for the new dirt game too which will put my total investment into this single title at over £600.

I fully support cm and have a lot of hope for this title but I just want to know some of the crucial info that is being requested by the community that impacts us greatly. Not car lists or any of that but the real basic day to day functionality and playability of the game.
  • Oscar97Oscar97 Member Pit Crew
    edited January 11
    That's what Codemasters do. Remember how long it took for them to clarify that Onrush wasn't a traditional racing game? Remember how they didn't confirm anything about Grid 2's physics until a few weeks before launch?
  • Rallystu2Rallystu2 Member Pit Crew
    Oscar97 said:
    That's what Codemasters do. Remember how long it took for them to clarify that Onrush wasn't a traditional racing game? Remember how they didn't confirm anything about Grid 2's physics until a few weeks before launch?
    I'm not developer bashing here. I know there are corporate responsibilities and no marketing team is going to be brutally honest about things that AREN'T included in the game pre release, I just want codies to give a little transparency to the people who this game is supposedly for. I'm still buying it whatever happens. I just want my questions answered with the honesty and respect that we deserve and give in return.
  • Madhun1967Madhun1967 Member Pit Crew
    i preordered ,too.Lot of truths here in these ramblings about no straightforwardness before release.If all is" improved" ,then logic would dictate that stages are longer,better  tarmac physics ,more cars etc................
    I think more vids would keep us happy, and speculating ,even if details arent released until a week before release .
  • Janneman60Janneman60 Member Wheel Nut
    bogani said:
    Jepsertti said:
    bogani said:h
    JorritVD said:
    So he is doing high 42's a lap while Kristoffersson is lapping at mid 48's at Trois-Rivieres IRL.

I know curcuits aren't 100% accurate but it really bugs me that lap times are so far apart from real life.
    6 seconds per lap is indeed a ridiculous difference on such short tracks. Think about the time difference in final heats; the time in game would be over half a minute quicker.

Half. A. Minute.

Exactly what I am afraid for. To much dirt4 physics so to much arcade and not the so wanted successor of dirt rally. Hope first reviews prove me wrong...
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    bogani said:
    Jepsertti said:
    bogani said:h
    JorritVD said:

Half. A. Minute.

Exactly what I am afraid for. To much dirt4 physics so to much arcade and not the so wanted successor of dirt rally. Hope first reviews prove me wrong...
    Rally and RX does seem to be two different things though so if RX might be a bit too snappy grip wise that doesn't mean Rally will be the same. That is my experience in our test. Rally felt very good while I had some issues with RX. 
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    Jepsertti said:
    bogani said:
    Jepsertti said:
    bogani said:
    JorritVD said:

Half. A. Minute.

In my opinion it's because of too short braking distances, car being too responsive to steering inputs which makes the car change direction unrealistically quickly, and way too much lateral grip. You can just throw the car sideways into the corners, slam the throttle and get away with it quicker than if you drove cleanly trying to avoid sliding. Based on what I've seen in real onboards they "roll" the car into the corner with left-foot braking and try to grip through the corner with gentle throttle input because the wheelspin they get from going full throttle decreases lateral grip so much that they go further from apex and lose acceleration on corner exit.

In my opinion iRacing did a good job with rallycross physics. Here's one of my videos from bit over a year ago. The lap was driven in very optimal road conditions (almost 2 hours into the practice session with hundreds of laps by the drivers). A "green" track (a clean track without any laps in) is ~3-4 seconds a lap slower.

EDIT: Just a clarification: these thoughts are based on my experiences with RX in DiRT Rally and DiRT 4. I don't expect rallycross to be radically different in DR2.0 so that's why I decided to write down my thoughts on the lap time issue :mrgreen:
    The first videos I saw from iRacing RX I thought the gravel grip seemed ridiculously low, but they might have tweaked things? 

Yeah you are probably right. In DR/D4 you pretty much just chuck the car in and just mash the throttle full on to get through the corners. You don't need to worry that much about weight transfer and wheel spin. You don't gain anything to be neat and tidy in that sense. You can be overly aggressive. 

My thoughts on the RX in our prototype is that it feels quite similar to Dirt 4. Lap times are about the same. Grip on tarmac is a bit to snappy and allows for very fast transitions. A big plus is that you clearly feel the difference from gravel to tarmac. Gravel feels much looser this time. In previous titles it was merely a texture change pretty much. 

Another conspiracy thought is that the RX organisation might have a say in this as it is an official product. Maybe they want it a bit more straight forward and approachable? 

• JorritVDJorritVD Member Co-Driver
    Bennett posted some images on Instagram. So we have a little bit better look.

"If you look left, you not see anything on the right"
    IG: JorritVD9 | T/FB: JorritVD
    Consultant | Graphics Designer | 2017 McLaren GT Art livery winner | CHASE Autosports sim racer
  • sqdstrsqdstr Member Petrol Head
    DS3 R5? Interesting, or maybe for the sound of the 208 R5? DS3 & 208 sound the same.
  • dani211212dani211212 Member Pit Crew
    edited January 12

sqdstr said:
    DS3 R5? Interesting, or maybe for the sound of the 208 R5? DS3 & 208 sound the same.
    Its C3 R5
    Edit: my bad, not seen second picture

Post edited by dani211212 on
  • RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    sqdstr said:
    Very good point, guessing that's the case.
    Put the Stratos back in H2 please!!!
  • JepserttiJepsertti Member Race Engineer
    sqdstr said:
    I'm 99% sure that they are recording DS3 R5 for exactly that reason :smile:
    PC: Intel Core i7-2600 3.8GHz ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 O8G Gaming 8GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD | 2TB HDD Windows 10 Pro
    Wheel: Logitech G27 with custom rally rim | DSD steering wheel adapter | DSD longer shifter paddles | Modded brake
    Others: DSD Sequential shifter Rally seat Phone stand behind the wheel (for dashboard) Samsung 42" Full HD LED 3D TV

Steam username: JJBruce

• RallycameramanRallycameraman Member Champion
    Where did these pictures come from?

im guessing it was Codies as I’m sure someone on here said they had sourced a DS3 to record in January. 
    Check out my YouTube channel - youtube.com/user/lukeharvey2006

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rallycameraman/
  • sqdstrsqdstr Member Petrol Head
    There was confirmation about the sound of the 208 R5 being recorded in januari. No mention of a DS3 R5 though.

https://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/369998/#Comment_369998
  • warpengagewarpengage Member Team Principal
    sqdstr said:
    There was confirmation about the sound of the 208 R5 being recorded in januari. No mention of a DS3 R5 though.

https://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/369998/#Comment_369998
    I think the fact that cmsoundfx liked my comment, on the previous page, about the 208 and the DS3 sounding the same, seems to point out that the DS3 is there for recording 208 sounds.
  • Rygar86Rygar86 Member Race Steward
    edited January 12
    LutzM said:
    It's 6 weeks from today until it will be released for those who preordered...perfect moment for giving us something today :)

Maybe just some more cars, or some stage names or planned locations for DLC or just one simple YES or NO as an answer to the question, if liveries will be editable on PC as they were in D4 @ChristinaMc ;

Next week we'll hint at what's coming in DLC! And liveries will be as they were in DiRT 4 - i.e. not officially supported.

So does this mean the issue with Dirt 4 liveries and camera mods been resolved? Last time I checked the files in Dirt 4 were encrypted and a pain to change and then you couldnt change anything without first being offline or something and so you could not save progress. Which was a dissapointmemt as Dirt Rally had none of these difficulties.

Would be great to know if Dirt 2.0 will allow camera mods without any issues like Dirt Rally did.
    Post edited by Rygar86 on