Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Comments

• couger1981couger1981 Member Race Engineer
    Very interesting! Possibly a private joke, but Lee responds with 'its the best kind of news'. There's always hope, but I would have thought they would have secured this earlier in development. But still, I don't know much about game development and licensing, so I could be wrong!
    I remember from some old @KickUp interview that often the team models and develops cars for the game with hope that the approval will come through later. Because it takes a long time to 3D model the car and then tweak its handling they have to start before they get the manufacturer/livery approval.

Maybe in the past the DiRT team modelled and developed cars, which they couldn't put into the final game because of licencing issues. 

That tweet may be a joke between work buds or a deliberate hint? :D
    The DiRT 3 team had a number of cars already on the list to be put in but couldn't get permission to use them.
    Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 2017
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• SkiddyMcCrashSkiddyMcCrash Member Team Principal
    To me, implies DiRT 4 announcement next week.

Now gimme a cookie
    :D
    No cookie?
    :-S

AMD FX-8350@4.5Ghz/EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2/16gb RAM/OS - Win 10/Turtle Beach X11/360pad                                 View - Front Bumper Cam/No Assists

• MastaVonBlastaMastaVonBlasta Member, Drivers Team Principal
    Britpoint said:
    The name actually sounds really cool there. I wonder what kind of game would be appropriate to slap that label on. Drag racing on the salt flats maybe? 
    Truck Driver: GRiT?

Twitter: MastaVonBlasta ¬ Bobby K fan ¬ Next one will be the one.
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    Didn't TOCA 3 have rally in it, even if it was only a little? It definitely had off road circuits, which was great fun. It's still one of my all time favorite games

Michael

Real life rally co-driver and Full time agricultural student

-------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox One League - Michaels League - Feel free to join!

Didn't TOCA 3 have rally in it, even if it was only a little? It definitely had off road circuits, which was great fun. It's still one of my all time favorite games
    It had some but not much, mostly Dirt mixed with Tarmac.
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    Very interesting! Possibly a private joke, but Lee responds with 'its the best kind of news'. There's always hope, but I would have thought they would have secured this earlier in development. But still, I don't know much about game development and licensing, so I could be wrong!
    I remember from some old @KickUp interview that often the team models and develops cars for the game with hope that the approval will come through later. Because it takes a long time to 3D model the car and then tweak its handling they have to start before they get the manufacturer/livery approval.

Maybe in the past the DiRT team modelled and developed cars, which they couldn't put into the final game because of licencing issues. 

That tweet may be a joke between work buds or a deliberate hint? :D
    The DiRT 3 team had a number of cars already on the list to be put in but couldn't get permission to use them.
    Yeah. I remember the Skoda Fabia being one of the cars that disappeared after it was mentioned in some of the very early DiRT 3 previews.

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

That's a shame, I always wanted some more S2000's in D3. Hopefully they can get the DS3 license this time, along with VW and Hyundai.

Michael

Also, this has just been put onto the GRID youtube page, so it looks like we will be seeing another GRID before DiRT!

Michael

Also, this has just been put onto the GRID youtube page, so it looks like we will be seeing another GRID before DiRT!

The above is now not gossip, but a fact :)

So @Loore 's tweet with final countdown was a 7 day mark.

Well at least there's some news on the way :) I'm hoping the next GRID game will be a re-write of GRID 2 handling and will go back a bit too its roots in TOCA.

GRID news in a way means that DiRT news won't appear anytime soon as I suspect Codies won't want each other to steal PR thunder :(

I loved the first GRID, but the second one lacked the things which made the first great. I do hope the handling has been improved.

But yes, I we may have to wait a little while until we see a DiRT announcement now, as they wouldn't release them a the same time, and they would be stealing each other's limelight in the press

Michael

• dotmartindotmartin Member Wheel Nut

That second car sounds like a rally car, and I can hear hooves in the background. GRiT is comming! o_0
    We had to stop because there came some stone through Timo's seat. Up in the --- of Timo!
    edited April 2014
    The signs are that the next GRID game will be to my liking (unfortunately Numero Duo wasn't) so in a way this is good news.

However, GRID game announcement not only makes DiRT game news less likely to appear in the near future; it also makes the summer release window rather tightly packed for Codemasters.

Let's assume that on 22nd April Codies announce 'GRID 2.5' or 'GRID 3' or 'GRID TOCA' will release 2-3 months from now. That would take it to roughly when GRID 2 was released in 2013, which was end of May/beginning of June or even later into the summer.

That leaves a gap between beginning of June to end of September (next F1 game) for a DiRT game to slot it. Historically Codies never released 3 big titles in the same year (let alone 4 month period) and it kind of makes sense, because that would saturate the market for them in a way...

So my worry is that next DiRT game will not slot into the summer release period and that's a bummer because I'm hungry for a next one :(

Looks like 2015...

Codemasters normally tend to leave a longer period between announcement and release than that. My guess for GRID 3 would be November time, but then again, I've been consistently wrong so far in my guesses! ;)

Michael

Codemasters normally tend to leave a longer period between announcement and release than that. My guess for GRID 3 would be November time, but then again, I've been consistently wrong so far in my guesses! ;)

I think November would have been too close to next F1 game.

F1 2013 release date was announced at the end of July last year - leaving almost 2.5 months between date announcement and release date.

I think Codemasters aimed at 1 year development cycle to:
    - overhaul the handling model (GRID 2 handling was intentional, if the intention is different so will be the handling)
    - make a couple more tracks
    - optimise graphics engine further to make room for memory to include cockpit views
    - focus on racing (less drift, less over the top narrative, less strange challenges)

My guess it will be a current gen game released in May or June.

But I can't shake off the feeling that new GRID pushes the DiRT game further away...

Maybe then, I don't follow F1 really, I thought it was released earlier than that. I was looking forward to a new DiRT game first, as its my favorite series, but the original GRID was the reason why I purchased my Xbox in the first place!

Michael

Looks like we may be waiting longer for the next Rally title to be announced after Grid 3 being announced.
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• gfRallygfRally Member Champion
    edited April 2014
    Azoresst said:
    I think this thread needs a pick me up.  It was mentioned that there where 36 donuts there, a VW Polo was breaking news, etc... well currently Mikko Hirvonen (drives a VW) has 36 points in the WRC.  Hmmmm... 

twitter: gflinch

gfRally said:
    Azoresst said:
    I think this thread needs a pick me up.  It was mentioned that there where 36 donuts there, a VW Polo was breaking news, etc... well currently Mikko Hirvonen (drives a VW) has 36 points in the WRC.  Hmmmm... 
    Already been posted ;)
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• TheFlyingTugaTheFlyingTuga Member Wheel Nut
    gfRally said:
    Azoresst said:
    Not to be the bummer... but Mikko Hirvonen it's a Ford driver! How can VW wants the old man at it's service! Their there to win, not to show their colors
    Steam: bino_santos
    What could be the meaning of 36 doughnuts?  :-S

36 days until announcement?
    3/6 - 3rd of June as the announcement date to work to?
    36 hours until some sort of a deadline? nah.

Or maybe there are currently 36 devs on the DiRT team and that's how many doughnuts were needed...