Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

SPAM - The endless annoyance

Hi,

So, you all know we have a spam problem on the forum.

To give you an update on this, we've tried various things to resolve this and so far have failed miserably at doing so. :frowning: 

We're currently talking with the forum developers to see if there are any solutions that we haven't tried yet before taking more drastic measures, but we are working on finding a solution for this problem.

Also, for those that don't know about this, on each post there is a "Flag" function in the bottom left, that lets users mark a post as spam (or report it). Feel free to use this function, it helps us deal with the spam posts a little quicker, as at the moment, removing the spam is a manual process, one post at a time.

Thanks,
Dnote
Twitter - @Dnote_CM

Comments

• mike96mike96 Member Team Principal
    Go back to vBulletin! :p

tooshortlalalalala
    PSN ID: maptidh  Steam ID: mikeerfol
    2015 Predictor team champion for Willyams
    Go Honda!
  • ChromaticChromatic Member, Drivers Pit Crew
    edited September 2015
    It wouldn't be so bad tbh if I could read South Korean

How many different racing lines will you take 

Originally Withyman on the old forum's 

My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TBCFormulae 

Manor may be gone but the history they made lives on

• YiscYisc Member New Car Smell

I would suggest to change account approval to be done manual.

Of course that would be a lot of work to do as well, but it saves you from deleting all that spam and knowing new messages will be posted soon anyway.

Other option is to add captcha to the form used to create accounts.

At least that will stop bots to create accounts and start spamming the forum.

• DnoteDnote Member Wheel Nut
    Because we use our own account system there are elements we have direct control over and those we don't. It looks like the long term solution is to improve the integration between the forums and our account system, enabling us greater control on who can access it, but we're still looking for a good short term solution.
    Dnote
    Twitter - @Dnote_CM
  • DnoteDnote Member Wheel Nut
    We've taken a more aggressive step towards removing the spam from the forum, it may an archaic way of dealing with the problem but will hopefully be effective.
    Dnote
    Twitter - @Dnote_CM
  • couger1981couger1981 Member Race Engineer
    Dnote said:
    We've taken a more aggressive step towards removing the spam from the forum, it may an archaic way of dealing with the problem but will hopefully be effective.
    Doesn't look like it's working.
    Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 2017
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• SynGamerSynGamer Member Co-Driver
    Any fix in sight? Seems the spam hits the fan late EST and early morning EST...
    Please read the [FORUM RULES] and [SEARCH] before you post.
    Website | Twitter | Tumblr
    edited October 2015
    I would highly appreciate it, when this spam flood would be looked into again. My mouse gets worn out of all that reporting.
    Yisc said:
    I would highly appreciate it, when this spam flood would be looked into again. My mouse gets worn out of all that reporting.

Sadly no answer and again a lot of spam on the forum.

It's undoable to keep reporting them one by one, so I gave up.

• fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator
    Myself, @MBKF1 and @SkiddyMcCrash are doing our best to delete them when we can, but remember we have jobs/school/uni/lives/sleep to go to and can't be on here 24-7.

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

• SkiddyMcCrashSkiddyMcCrash Member Champion
    Yisc said:
    You want to try deleting them 1 by 1, because they are making 1 post and then switching to another account, making another post, then switching to another

AMD FX-8350@4.5Ghz/EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2/16gb RAM/OS - Win 10/Turtle Beach X11/360pad                                 View - Front Bumper Cam/No Assists

• sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    Yisc said:
    Yisc said:

Sadly no answer and again a lot of spam on the forum.

Yeah I've kind of given up flagging them all the time there's just been so many that I'd never get anything else done if I spend my time flagging them.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• versediversedi Member Champion
    edited October 2015
    Captcha on post (temporary solution to prevent new spam from flooding), then after it calms down (bots will eventually stop hitting it) cleanup all spammy accounts and set a captcha + simple equation in register page. Remove the post (New Subject) captcha. Problem solved - profit.
  • kefenkefen Member New Car Smell
    Wouldn't it help if you have to confirm your email adress before you can start posting?
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    Could you introduce 'Captcha' for new members registering, with an account verification email?
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion

I think w3hat they need is to introduce a post limit for new members something like you have to post 5 times before you can set up a new topic. TBH I think it's the only way the  spambots will be stopped.

KevM said:
    Could you introduce 'Captcha' for new members registering, with an account verification email?
    I think they're already using it. or at least tried that and it's stil flooding the forums I think the only option is to go aggressive against them now as it's getting ridiculous

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

edited October 2015
    Dear forum webmasters, Dear @Dnote ; please try No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHAs from Google without letters - the one that you check images that are showing i.e. chips.
    It's really effective against bots, so if we're attacked by physical persons hired to do so we'll fail anyway no matter what precautions you're taking.

Here's some unofficial plugin for VF http://vanillaforums.org/addon/nocaptcharecaptcha-plugin but I'd recommend to write your own (this is pretty easy task).

sjsharp2010 said: 

Yeah I've kind of given up flagging them all the time there's just been so many that I'd never get anything else done if I spend my time flagging them.
    It would be nice if someone from Codemasters or related to CM could post here that they are working on the issue and when we can expect a solution. I don't mind helping them out flagging all these messages, but only for a short period of time and while waiting for a permanent solution.
  • MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    As @sjsharp2010 said, I think that having a system where new members must post at least 10 times before being able to create their own threads could greatly reduce the spam. I've suggested this to the admins so I really hope it's considered!

In the meantime, keep reporting any spam and myself and the other moderators will remove it when we can.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating
    edited November 2015
    Did you thought about making a regex with all chinese/korean whatever else BS this is - which would prohibit making new threads? You don't have chinese section so it would work I think...