Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

SPAM - The endless annoyance

124»

Comments

• fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator
    I'm back now, and sorry for inactive for ages due to real-life job.

That's unbelievable when I see a lot of spams in this forums. :( It also happened to the other forums where I was a moderator, and keep fighting against spammers. I hope Codies will do something to stop it asap. We will never give up until the spammers are defeated.
    We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

• ChristinaMcChristinaMc Member, Codemasters Community Manager
    fIsince08 said:
    I'm back now, and sorry for inactive for ages due to real-life job.

That's unbelievable when I see a lot of spams in this forums. :( It also happened to the other forums where I was a moderator, and keep fighting against spammers. I hope Codies will do something to stop it asap. We will never give up until the spammers are defeated.
    We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
    We're working on it, and we know it's an issue. The clean-up this side begins - thanks to everyone who's been helping out.
  • Videogamer13Videogamer13 Member New Car Smell
    Can any admins or community founder just ban their IP?
  • DidzisDidzis Member Team Principal
    I dont't think that would help much, I doubt they use a static IP anyway
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | MSI HD7870 OC | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT + Logitech Formula Force EX

DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | DiRT 4 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport
  • ChristinaMcChristinaMc Member, Codemasters Community Manager
    Yes, the banning can be done based on IP - but we don't have the option to remove all banned user by IP content as an action... So that's all manual. You should see it drastically reducing! And as Didzis said, the IPs keep changing... 
  • Videogamer13Videogamer13 Member New Car Smell
    edited January 5
    Thank god! Finally we have just defeated the spambots. No more spam! :smiley:
    The forum community is now peaceful.
    The spam is back :( Also, you missed GRID Technical Assistance, there's still 4 pages of spam from December
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | MSI HD7870 OC | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT + Logitech Formula Force EX

DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | DiRT 4 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport
  • fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator
    Didzis said:
    The spam is back :( Also, you missed GRID Technical Assistance, there's still 4 pages of spam from December
    Gone. Most of the spam in the GRID TA section had actually been banned, just not deleted.

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

• huckleberrypiehuckleberrypie Member New Car Smell
    Well you could use an IP blacklist e.g. Stop Forum Spam amongst others. That can cut down on spam registrations significantly from what I can attest.
    edited January 12
    Add a captcha or something, it's way too easy to register a new account here. You don't even need an e-mail confirmation before you can post a comment, I mean c'mon
    Well you could use an IP blacklist e.g. Stop Forum Spam amongst others. That can cut down on spam registrations significantly from what I can attest.
    IP blacklist won't do anything against a dynamic IP
    Post edited by Didzis on

• UP100UP100 Member Pit Crew
    Yeah captcha and email confirmation would be great ways to try to fight against spam.
  • huckleberrypiehuckleberrypie Member New Car Smell
    Didzis said:
    Add a captcha or something, it's way too easy to register a new account here. You don't even need an e-mail confirmation before you can post a comment, I mean c'mon
    IP blacklist won't do anything against a dynamic IP
    Explain this then:

I have an IP blacklist installed on my forum and it cut down on spam registrations significantly, to the point that I rarely even get junk registrations at all. Also to consider are suggestions outlined here at MediaWiki: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Combating_spam#IP_address_blacklists

124»