Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

The Smart Cheater - A New Breed?

Hi all,

I write this post because I think we have a new species among us. The guy that really "forced" me to write this is CAPTAINRAVE, which you will find in the week challenge leaderboards. Already in there you can see how he became smarter. In the Hot Hatch competition, which was the 1st I saw he doing, he was not very smart and did something that can easaly be considered cheating, but on all others, just check it out... Most he is just among the top, not the fastest, others he is top of the "fair" drivers, only a few tenths faster but clearly far from the ones you can see without doubt that they are cheaters.

I already had the pleasure to get this guy online 2 times. In the 1st, he was the guy with more points on the room, so he would be pole position. I started to notest that he would disappear into the distance in the start, but then in the end he would be just ahead and most times he wouldnt even do the fastest lap! So, in other words, he would gain about 4-5s on every one in the start, even in situations where the guys behind wouldnt crash to each others (probably doing his fastest race lap then), and then you would gain on him, but you would never win. His performance would be based on how strong the competition in the room was, basically. So, he would be super-human on the 1st lap and just average in the next.

In the 2nd time, if any doubt was there, it got removed. On this occasion it was reverse, I was starting from close to the pole and he had to start in the end. Basically, what he would do, would be to overtake almost everyone at the start and then he would stick in the rear of whoever was 1st and would overtake him in the start/finish straight on the end of the race, like clockwork. I only stayed for a 3 or 4 races and on a couple of them I was the guy that break away. One of those races was in Algarve. It was that class where you can choose between X-Bow and Atom V8. I took the loaner X-Bow and he took the loaner Atom V8. In the start something happened to him, because he lost a lot of seconds... But that as not an issue, by the end of the lap he was already in my exhaust. Then he stayed behind me until the s/f straight of the last lap, I mean, I could see him breaking to not overtake me in that same straight in previous laps, was hilarious. When we got to the exit of the last corner, he just overtook me and put almost 2s on me before the finish line and won.

When I first saw him I thought he had some kind of speed hack, but after racing directly to him that doesnt seem to be the case. What he seems to have is a hack that gives him increadible grip and a way to reach the top speed of the car a lot faster, but without going over it. What it felt like was that I had tires with 10% and he had tires with 100% while was slipstreaming.

In case you are wondering, I am not a slow driver... I am Top 1% on all challenges and with exception to the Fun Mode (which I had fun restarting 15 times in order to be able to do an attempt in a track I didnt know previously) I didnt actually invested much time. I used loaner cars or own cars without setups.

We dont see the final leaderboard standings, but it would be interesting to see if CM would only remove him from the Hot Hatch board or if will remove him from all of them.

Anyway, at this moment, it seems that on the currend challenges, we have cheaters on:

Touring - 1, 2, 4 and 7.

Endurance - 1, 2 and 26.

Open Wheel - 1 to 6.

Tuner - 1 to 4 and 21.

Street - 1 to 3.

Party - 1 to 5.

Oh well, the thing is: if I am right, we can have cheaters in the middle of us, that we cant spot because they dont stand out. All we needed was cheaters that are not greed and think... :S

Cya all!

Rogério

Comments

• TheKazzyMacTheKazzyMac Member Wheel Nut
    Sounds like he's directly modified or using a trainer to modify car stats.

Nonetheless, there's a thread about cheaters stickied; should read it and follow its instructions and this guy should get banned.
    i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz || Corsair h80 cooling || 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz || 2GB GDDR5 PNY nVidia GTX660 XLR8 edition || 240GB Kingston Hyper-X 3K || Logitech G27 & Xbox One Controller || 27" Asus VS278Q 1ms response gaming monitor
  • gaskigaski Member Wheel Nut
    Good work on reporting them but you really shouldn't name and shame here.  CM want's proof of the cheaters in action and the best way to capture this is to record them.

I'm well aware of this cheat you mentioned and caught someone using it the other day.  Incredible grip and amazing acceleration.  See vid below:

superchimp
  • Shinny1337Shinny1337 Member New Car Smell
    edited July 2014
    Surely this isn't the same type of cheating that happened in GRID where people were changing the data sent back to the MP side of things making their game happen at a faster rate? Would be interested to see how their cars reacted to a 'nudge'.
    I'm glad I decided not to play online on PC, then.

Why does this game not have VAC or some other method of anti-cheat?
    i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz || Corsair h80 cooling || 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz || 2GB GDDR5 PNY nVidia GTX660 XLR8 edition || 240GB Kingston Hyper-X 3K || Logitech G27 & Xbox One Controller || 27" Asus VS278Q 1ms response gaming monitor
  • sucr4msucr4m Member New Car Smell

gaski said:
    Good work on reporting them but you really shouldn't name and shame here.

Your video clearly shows his name, isnt that the same? ;P
    I love the part where he went extra slow at the end to not attract any attention..
    sucr4m said:

gaski said:
    Good work on reporting them but you really shouldn't name and shame here.

Your video clearly shows his name, isnt that the same? ;P
    I love the part where he went extra slow at the end to not attract any attention..
    It doesn't matter. You can hear and see him deliberately coasting. If he drove like that on consoles he wouldn't last very long.
  • PhotonikPhotonik Member Wheel Nut
    edited July 2014
    @gaski
    CM actually has the proof on their server.
    By chance I stumpbled upon a cheater when chosing a ghost car for a challenge. He was, as the OP said, not the best, just amongst them. When seeing the ghost, I knew why.
    He had a speed hack (or whatever), so he accelerated insanely fast on the straights, but was too dumb to drive properly through any corner. That levelled at a good but not superhuman time.

Regarding the Leaderboard:
    Don't know, if it is just displayed wrong, but if numbers are right, cheaters were removed. Except for the Toruing (1%) I was in the Top 3% in every challenge. Racenet shows Top 2% in the challenge-history though.
  • VGSpeedProVGSpeedPro Member New Car Smell

Hi!

@gaski
    Yeah, for sure is the same thing you show here... Thats a great idea... I should gave Action! ready to go for these things! ;) What fun can someone take from playing like that? Really dont understand...

I dont resist saying this, but I saw you also had the pleasure of seeing Monstro99, at least on 1st game. That guy is also to avoid... Not because he cheats, I dont think so, but because he enjoys crashing people, when they are faster then him... Once I was starting just behind him, so he slow started, when I was along side, crashed me (got yellow steering from that stunt) and then went away... :S Its a car racing game and so its bound to have this situations, sometimes I remember fondly the ghost racing! ;P

• MrDeapMrDeap Member Pit Crew

I don't see the point to play dirty to get first when the leader have better lap time. It's like asking to lose every upcoming races. If you take out the faster player you don't learn which corner you're slower & It's easier to learn than the ghost from the online leaderboard, because of the drafting effect. Also the faster person does not have to be automatically clean.

Sabertooth X79|Core i7 3930K 4.3GHz|Zalman CNPS12X|Kingston HyperX 8X4GB CL9|Gigabytes 980Ti G1 6GB|14TB storage|X-Fi Titanium HD|SuperNOVA 1300 G2|Corsair 800D
  • V8R3L3NTL3SS1V8R3L3NTL3SS1 Member Unleaded
    I say what's up to the PC players. Exactly why I don't game on a stupid PC. Way too easy to cheat.
  • V8R3L3NTL3SS1V8R3L3NTL3SS1 Member Unleaded
    When I watch the video it doesn't look any different than when I'm playing the game on my ps3. don't know if I'm saying something different or looking at something wrong. by the way is the first track in the video Okutama because since I've went online I've never seen this track one time in well over 250 races.but boy I'm sure seen Brands Hatch Gp about 50 times and spa reverse about 50 times I guess they don't make spa the regular way huh.
  • TUSMBOXTUSMBOX Member New Car Smell
    Yes, that was Okutama. I've seen that track less often online than I've seen my data get corrupted. (0-2)

• KrazyKutterKrazyKutter Member New Car Smell
    edited July 2014
    I saw something similar yesterday.  A guy from the USA (sounded exactly like jeff bridges) used some kind of a speed/grip hack. On the Circuit Of America he was all over the track on the twisty parts, but he was super fast out of turns and on the straights. Any time I got closer on the technical parts, he pulled away like a rocket. Superfast starts here too.
    Then he was dumb enough to use it on the Indianapolis oval. He was first, everyone was on the rev limit, the second and third car was closing on him in the slipstream, then a slight touch of "magic", and he started to pull away... **** :DDDD

The lobby was arguing with him, back and forth, actually, we didn't want to kick him, but when someone mentioned recording the race, he disappeared instantly and blocked everyone.
  • gorgor Member Unleaded
    edited July 2014
    As i know Codemasters` spectate mode was allways buggy, every game i played.
    Buggy sound, buggy visualisation.
    Sometimes ppl wich racing with you say "hey, buddy, you have not front right wheel on the car" but its not true, so this buggy visualisation happens even not spec. mode now.
    So your supergrip can be just bug.
    BUT!
    1st grid had patch for online wich made all cars same, so ebay modified xml cars cant be faster than usuall. I realy hope they will turn off  leveling online this time too. Its only skill should show who is better, not the engine or tuning wich seems can be modified this time too.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ CM Give Text Chat ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ CM Give Online Without FlashCheatBack ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ CM Give Back Grid 1 ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 
  • PhotonikPhotonik Member Wheel Nut
    @gor
    what you say was more, that visual damage didn't concur with mechanical damage. That indeed was a problem, Grid 1 had.
    But here you could clearly see that it wasn't 'real'. He drove with keyboard, obviously. Didn't get a single corner right, and then such a time? Never! And then that slowing down right before the finish line. The game wouldn't do that for any reason (even if buggy) and a player would only do that, if he cheated and tried to 'cover' that. Fastest Lap gives you sponsor money, so why slow down and risk anyone else getting that?

Regarding upgrades...
    There's the possibility to disable upgrades and tuning. On top, I have the feeling, these cheaters won't enter races, where rewind is disabled. At least I've never seen one so far.
  • RWBSUPERCHARGERRWBSUPERCHARGER Member Unleaded
    I encountered a definite hacker the other day on the Red Bull track, I was 1st and my team 2nd/3rd then on the last lap this guy with a flag I didn't recognise comes from 7th place on the last 2 corners and blatantly switches his hack on and passes all of us at hyper speed.

He then starts playing stupid music at the end, didn't catch his name as we were a little upset about it and the language started flying, he was vote kicked immediately, there are definite hacks out there people.
  • KaerarKaerar Member Unleaded
    I say what's up to the PC players. Exactly why I don't game on a stupid PC. Way too easy to cheat.

LOL that's hilarious. Just as prevalent if not moreso on consoles due to the higher playerbase. Just because you think a platform is proprietary doesn't actually mean it's not accessible to hackers.

Pity it's hard to get them caught :(

• mikevoltz1mikevoltz1 Member Wheel Nut

Watching the Vid, I love how that guy drove though the car that passed him without making any attempt to brake. Other than that its hard for me to tell whats cheated. I noticed on my own that Locking the Diff on Owned, Modified cars will make the car Way faster on the straights and Rubbish in the Corners. Besides you don't know what level that car is at, it could be fully upgraded. I don't doubt that if there is a way to cheat, people will find it just to see their name on the top of the board. 

Kaerar said:

LOL that's hilarious. Just as prevalent if not moreso on consoles due to the higher playerbase. Just because you think a platform is proprietary doesn't actually mean it's not accessible to hackers.

Pity it's hard to get them caught :(

Out of all the games I've played on xbox, the only cheaters I've come across in terms of physical gameplay were on GTA5. Pretty sad though. That isn't counting leaderboard hackers because that happened on pretty much every game.

Hacking on consoles is a far more expensive pastime. Most PC games you hack on, you get banned? Just make a new account. No new fees. Hack on a console? Face £400 having to buy a new xbox and Gold account. Doesn't stop people though but eh... you're never gonna stop the idiots who think it's fun to cheat..

• KaerarKaerar Member Unleaded

KazzyMac if you think that then fine, just let me point out your estimates are wildly off the mark. Consoles can be hacked for a lot less than the cost of the machine, cost of keys for games on PC do come into it too so it's not totally free there either. For the hackers who are savvy (there's more than enough of those) they'll get around the account restrictions (MS don't release info on how many unpaid accounts are used on their service for obvious reasons) and they'll still hack the leaderboards and mess up multiplayer.

The reason you'll "see" them less is due to the higher player saturation of Console compared to PC in games like GRID and other racing titles which are generally stronger in sales on console than PC. The bigger the game the more chance they'll be in it to hack and troll people.