Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

[OFF-TOPIC] Rally themed: Comics / Movies / Anime / Fiction / Music / Documents etc.

Hi! Rally is of course thing we love here, but what do you get if you combine it with your other interests?
This thread is meant for collecting a treasure vault of Rally themed material.

I will start with couple of my favorites:

http://landofobscusion.blogspot.fi/2012/02/goddamn-rallying-in-kenya-for-fun-sport.html?m=1

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/11/ss-comic-book-rally-fans/

Please feel free to share your findings and favorites here!

Comments

• dwkGraveydwkGravey Member Race Engineer
    edited November 2015
    I wanted to like the Goddamn anime, but man it had a lot of problems. Really nice cars though! I'll have to track down that Special Stage live action movie, thanks for sharing that.

I can definitely recommend the recent-ish rally documentary Easier Said Than Done.

And obviously this must be included: "Stay Wut Her Johnny (I Am A Rally Driver)" by Richie Kavanagh

• gfRallygfRally Member Champion
    dwkGravey said:

I can definitely recommend the recent-ish rally documentary Easier Said Than Done.

Yup, great flick, cough cough signature cough... ;).  Group B short too, if it gets released to video.

twitch: gfrally    twitter: gflinch

• Mike555Mike555 Member New Car Smell
    I love the Initial D series, altough it's rather about street racing than rallying. Still there's a lot of driving stuff and quite a few nice cars featured.
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    TuliRally said:
    I have spent years trying to import the SS manga: still not managed to source them! 
    Mike555 said:
    I love the Initial D series, altough it's rather about street racing than rallying. Still there's a lot of driving stuff and quite a few nice cars featured.
    There are quite a lot of references to rally in the Initial D series. I have all the manga up to Volume 27, the cost of importing the books got silly though, so I stopped collecting them!

There have been several rally car features in the Japanese Best Motoring and Hot Version TV shows. I can't remember the specific episodes (I'll have to search through my DVD's to check) but they are pretty good. Not all of those are subtitled though, so you just have to concentrate on the cars and guess what is being said!

All the McKlein rally (and non-rally) books are excellent. Not the cheapest, but the Group 2, Group 4 and Group B books are all utterly brilliant and well worth having on the shelf. I cannot wait for McKlein to release books covering the Group A and World Rally Car eras. McKlein also released a few books in Japan as well, one of which focused on the SWRT team in the late 90's/early 00's. I've seen it online in a few auctions, but it's been too pricey. I will keep looking though!

Easier Said Than Done gets my vote, I'd also recommend both the "Evolution of Rally" films by Helmut Deimel. Some of the historic footage is brilliant and it's all really well edited together. If you are an off road racing fan I would also suggest you check out "Dust to Glory" which is all about the Baja 1000.

Sure a lot of you have seen it, but the "Engineering the World Rally" series that aired on Discovery was absolutely superb. For those of you who haven't seen it, it was a behind the scenes look at the SWRT rally team during the 2006 WRC season. It was a miserable season for the team, but it's still a great look at the running of a WRC team and what goes into the cars. You can still buy the series on DVD (click here), or the more computer literate of you can probably find it online.

Last thing that pops into my mind is the Citroen WRC documentary "19 allee des Marronniers". It's not quite a detailed as "Engineering the World Rally", but there is some great footage in there. I don't think it ever got a DVD release, but you can watch it online here

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• 789ifyz789ifyz Member Co-Driver
    I don't really have anything to add here, but I do agree that Easier Said than Done is pretty good.

I started watching it once, but I think I had some problems with lack of time and later forgot about it... will get back to that soon, though (hopefully).

@tbtstt did you get those manga because you heard it had some relation to Rally or do you read Manga and/or watch Anime generally. If it's the latter, this forum actually has an anime and manga thread that may or may not interest you, or you may already know of it. link: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/109/anime-manga-thread-vol-1/p1 

Youtube: 789ifyz         Steam: Ultament Gamr

Specs:
    Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
    GFX Card: MSi Twin Frozr nVidia Geforce GTX 970 4GB
    CPU: Quad Core Intel i5 7500 @3.4GHZ
    RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2133MHZ
    Motherboard: MSi B250I Gaming Pro AC
    PSU: Corsair CX550M
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    789ifyz said:
    @tbtstt did you get those manga because you heard it had some relation to Rally or do you read Manga and/or watch Anime generally. If it's the latter, this forum actually has an anime and manga thread that may or may not interest you, or you may already know of it. link: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/109/anime-manga-thread-vol-1/p1 

I read manga and I like cars @789ifyz ;, so Initial D was a pretty obvious choice for me! As a big fan of Japanese cars and drifting I used to import a lot of Best Motoring and Hot Version DVD's. I picked up that Initial D was heavily influenced by Keiichi Tsuchiya, so I started reading. It was only once I got into it that I noticed the rally references.

I have seen the anime & manga thread; I'm rather behind with new anime and manga though, so I haven't posted in it! I got into anime when I pretty young (BBC2 showed Akira late one night!)  and I used to have a lot more time to research what was out there, but I have lost touch with the newer series.

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• TanHammerTanHammer Member Unleaded
    edited November 2015
    tbtstt said:
    Sure a lot of you have seen it, but the "Engineering the World Rally" series that aired on Discovery was absolutely superb. For those of you who haven't seen it, it was a behind the scenes look at the SWRT rally team during the 2006 WRC season. It was a miserable season for the team, but it's still a great look at the running of a WRC team and what goes into the cars. You can still buy the series on DVD (click here), or the more computer literate of you can probably find it online.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/video-collection/248324-engineering-world-rally.html Thanks I've never seen that myself so for anyone else who hasen't there's all six episodes

http://www.torrenthound.com/hash/b34eb826edfaf38db7e68a6f5c21143689153ef1/torrent-info/-Discovery-Engineering-the-World-Rally and there's a link to an active torrent which should be decent quality
    What's peoples take on this beast?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=111&v=J2Os8DGvLmE
    Can't argue it's a serious piece of kit!
  • TuliRallyTuliRally Member Wheel Nut
    edited November 2015
    @OzoreXS Well that Group B movie was a new one. That trailer, was it directed by Michael Bay?  :D :p It was so BIG haha (especially that soundtrack in it)
    ...  :o                                                                                                                        
  • chukonuchukonu Member Wheel Nut
    That is sounding pretty cool.

That 'gasping-for-air' sound, where is that even coming from?
    edited November 2015
    chukonu said:

I'm guessing its the excess boost being bled off or the 'blow-off' sound in some weird configuration, I only heard it on deceleration. Sounds and looks very cool, wish the new regs were for the 2016 season :(
  • DiqueDique Member Unleaded
    TanHammer said:
    chukonu said:

I'm guessing its the excess boost being bled off or the 'blow-off' sound in some weird configuration, I only heard it on deceleration. Sounds and looks very cool, wish the new regs were for the 2016 season :(
    I might be wrong, but don't they use an electric anti-lag, because of less stress on the turbo?
    Would at least explain why there are so few exhaust flames.
    Wow that's news, I knew they were developing electric forced induction but never thought they might adapt it as a solution to ALS, could very well be what's going on in the video, I'd love to learn a bit more if you or anyone else has any reading material?
    So not specific to the ALS but did find some good reading on the current spec (2011 on) WRC engines for anyone interested.
    http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1wvd5/RaceEngineTechnology/resources/59.htm
  • versediversedi Member Champion
    edited November 2015
    @TanHammer the restrictions for 2017 season are changing a little bit.

The 2017 regulations see enhancements to the engine, and the visual impact created by an all-new aerodynamic package will dramatically enrich the spectacle of these cars and provide far greater diversity. The 1.6 litre turbo engine is retained but the power will be increased up to the level of the WTCC race cars. The diameter of the turbo restrictor will be increased from 33mm to 36mm while the turbo pressure remains at a maximum 2.5b absolute. The minimum weight of the car has also been reduced by 25 kilograms.

Greater freedom will also be afforded with the aerodynamics, setting this World Rally Car aside from many of its recent predecessors. A free zone defined around the bodyshell of the production car could see a front bumper overhang by an additional 60mm, potentially also with additional aero devices ahead of the front wheels, while the rear overhang can be increased by an extra 30mm. Bigger door sills will also be permitted. The fixed rear wing can be dramatically increased in size and while the rear diffuser will have maximum permitted dimensions, the shape will be free and may protrude up to 50mm from the rear bumper. The WRC car will be issued from a production car from which the overall homologated length must be greater than or equal to 3.9 metres, potentially adding further opportunities for manufacturer

Yea exciting times, hopefully the changes are for the better, although at second glance some of the 2017 aero looks a little 'too' much for my liking. I guess it's function over form to exploit to the maximum what's allowed in the new regs.
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    This years Galway, watch right through!  Give it 100%, enjoy the stage & NEVER give up lol