Error 41 has a lot of causes, the majority are from people attempting to launch the game on DX10 hardware, having corrupted game files or <3GB of space on their windows drive.
This thread is for players suffering from this error message to find solutions, report and discuss the error 41.
Please make sure your System Requirements meet the minimum spec too.
OS: Windows 7 or Windows 8
Processor: AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor @ 2.4Ghz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD HD5450 or Nvidia GT430 or Intel HD4000 with 1GB of VRAM (DirectX 11 graphics card required)
Hard Drive: 35 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible soundcard
Solutions Previously Reported
- Have a least 3GB of free space on your C: Drive or Windows location Drive
- Trying to launch the game with computers that don't meet the minimum system requirements e.g. not having have a DirectX 11 capable GPU.
- Verifying the Integrity of the game cache by:
Right Click on DiRT Rally in Steam's Library > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache
- Being given Administrator rights for users Windows account or starting game as Admin:
Right Click on Dirt Rally's shortcut and select "Run as administrator"
- Installing the latest graphics driver for your graphics card
- Using "Display Driver Uninstaller DDU" to remove old graphic driver bits that get left over in Windows
- Removing a corrupt game save:
Right click on DiRT Rally in Steam Library > Properties > Updates > Untick the Steam cloud check box at the bottom then exit Steam.
Locate your Steam folder and select userdata > your steamID folder > 310560 > remote > backup any files in this folder then remove them so its empty then launch game
- Uninstalling the game, deleting the Dirt Rally folder in Steam/steamapps/common and reinstalliing the game
- Unplugging controllers e.g. Steering wheel
- Not using a Ramdisk for temp files
- Unactivate real time AntiVirus protection / Peerblock
- Reinstalling Steam
- Closing Logitech Profiler / Gaming Software
- Disconnect Microsoft SideWinder mice
- Exiting the AMD Gaming Evolved application.
- Uninstalling the Oculus SDK
- Running out of RAM can cause error 41. e.g. using 8GB RAM and a disabled swap file. If launching the game with many programs open in the background, like Chrome with 20 tabs then DiRT Rally reports error 41.
Please post in this thread to let us know if these solutions have worked for you.