Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Error 41 Discussion & Solutions

jennyannemjennyannem Member, Codemasters Community Manager
Error 41 has a lot of causes, the majority are from people attempting to launch the game on DX10 hardware, having corrupted game files or <3GB of space on their windows drive.

This thread is for players suffering from this error message to find solutions, report and discuss the error 41.

Please make sure your System Requirements meet the minimum spec too.
Processor: AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor @ 2.4Ghz 
Memory: 4 GB RAM 
Graphics: AMD HD5450 or Nvidia GT430 or Intel HD4000 with 1GB of VRAM (DirectX 11 graphics card required) 
Hard Drive: 35 GB available space 
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible soundcard

Solutions Previously Reported

• Have a least 3GB of free space on your C: Drive or Windows location Drive

• Trying to launch the game with computers that don't meet the minimum system requirements e.g. not having have a DirectX 11 capable GPU.

• Verifying the Integrity of the game cache by:

Right Click on DiRT Rally in Steam's Library > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache

• Being given Administrator rights for users Windows account or starting game as Admin:

Right Click on Dirt Rally's shortcut and select "Run as administrator"

• Installing the latest graphics driver for your graphics card

• Using "Display Driver Uninstaller DDU" to remove old graphic driver bits that get left over in Windows

• Removing a corrupt game save:

Right click on DiRT Rally in Steam Library > Properties > Updates > Untick the Steam cloud check box at the bottom then exit Steam.

Locate your Steam folder and select userdata > your steamID folder > 310560 > remote > backup any files in this folder then remove them so its empty then launch game

• Uninstalling the game, deleting the Dirt Rally folder in Steam/steamapps/common and reinstalliing the game

• Unplugging controllers e.g. Steering wheel

• Not using a Ramdisk for temp files

• Unactivate real time AntiVirus protection / Peerblock

• Reinstalling Steam

• Closing Logitech Profiler / Gaming Software

• Disconnect Microsoft SideWinder mice

• Exiting the AMD Gaming Evolved application.

• Uninstalling the Oculus SDK

• Running out of RAM can cause error 41. e.g. using 8GB RAM and a disabled swap file. If launching the game with many programs open in the background, like Chrome with 20 tabs then DiRT Rally reports error 41.

Please post in this thread to let us know if these solutions have worked for you.

Thanks
Post edited by jennyannem on

Comments

• DeputyDiRTDeputyDiRT Member, Codemasters Unleaded
    Unplugging controllers can also stop this from occurring as Thes Bernadin mentions here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/1/490124466462960094/#c490125737478269978
  • MosseMosse Member New Car Smell
    Ok, I have tried everything on this list and my game still crashes at the splash screen. What do you guys need now?
  • svilendimsvilendim Member New Car Smell
    Hi guys. I have a strange situation here. Error 41 at start, and I found an even stranger solution...
    running Dual Projectors BENQ
    hardware is:
    -i74790k
    -Z97gaming5
    -Asus R9290X
    -Thrustmaster TS500

So when I disconnect one of the projectors, run the game and it loads normally, the I plug it in again and it stretches them both perfectly. And I play both 1024x768 and it works. But problem is I have to unplug and plug it everytime I start the game.

Another problem is it does not remember my controller settings. And game crashes when I setup audio and video.
    Mosse said:
    Ok, I have tried everything on this list and my game still crashes at the splash screen. What do you guys need now?
    Do you have any crash dumps in your DiRT Rally folder in Steam > Steamapps > common > named similar to: 

drt_1087863_crash_2015_10_13T22_24_20C0.mdmp

Please send them in an email to dirtgame@codemasters.com along with your dxdiag report

Dxdiag report can be created by typing “dxdiag” into your start menu, then running “dxdiag.exe”.

After the green progress bar has completed in the bottom left, please press “save all information” to save the required .txt file and attach it to the email.

Thanks

svilendim said:
    Hi guys. I have a strange situation here. Error 41 at start, and I found an even stranger solution...
    running Dual Projectors BENQ
    hardware is:
    -i74790k
    -Z97gaming5
    -Asus R9290X
    -Thrustmaster TS500

So when I disconnect one of the projectors, run the game and it loads normally, the I plug it in again and it stretches them both perfectly. And I play both 1024x768 and it works. But problem is I have to unplug and plug it everytime I start the game.
    If you are using Eyefinity 2x1 this issue  is logged with the devs. 
    svilendim said:
    Another problem is it does not remember my controller settings. And game crashes when I setup audio and video.
    Try not redefining the pause button as this can cause controls not being saved. Can you explain how you are setting up audio and video and get a crash please.
  • walt11walt11 Member New Car Smell
    I have also tried everything and game still doesn't start. I don't even get error 41 or splashing Dirt logo. So is there something wrong whit my system?

i5 2400
    GTX 660
    Asrock Z68
    dx12
    windows 10
  • mesamesa Member Pit Crew
    Attachments with the required files sent. Please fix this very old Steam Error 41 bug

- mesa -

https://www.facebook.com/MesasArtworks
    More liveries / mods of mine at
    http://mesa.extra.hu/index.php/en/downloads/dirtrally

Logitech G27 w OMP 350 mm

• DayGlowDayGlow Member New Car Smell
    Been fighting this error since around the Germany Update. I'm well above the specs and I can play intermittently, 2 or 3 reboots makes it work until I close the game and open it again. 

Its the only game that throws this error to me. I've submitted 10+ error logs. This needs to be fixed.
    seriously ****? 1.0 and this error still plagues the game. Are you going to suggest I reinstall the game for the upteen time, or erase my progress, because, you know that really helps your game.

How many more logs do you want me to send you? 
  • DreddlochDreddloch Member New Car Smell
    Pity this wasn't fixed for the official release given that it was introduced during the dev process and now there's a bunch of so called fixes that are not actually fixing anything, they're just work-arounds that may or may not work for you. And here's another one that works for me, start the game and go straight into the graphics settings and run a benchmark, you can exit the benchmark at anytime and voila, game works as it should (well for me it does but still another work-around). So Codemasters, please fix this properly so we can forget these work-arounds.

• edgenzedgenz Member Co-Driver
    i'm still getting this also - agree with above that it's highly disappointing that such a critical error is still in the game. Trying my hardest to push through it - i absolutely love this game... but this kind of error will quickly become a massive barrier to continued enjoyment...

Dirt Rally Liveries: <60s - 80s> <Group A - F2 Kit - R4> <2000 - 2010>
  • GentaxGentax Member New Car Smell
    Never had the error 41 but suddenly it occurred. I found that it was caused by having subscribed to too many car setups in the Steam Workshop.
    There seems to be a cap on the max number of subscribed car setups. After some testing I found that the max cap for me is 106 subscribed setups. Adding a 107th and the error 41 is there again, removing the 107th and the error disappears. I tested this with several setups to rule out the possibility of a corrupt car setup. Give it a go and hope this helps some ppl getting rid of the frustrating error 41.

• SheptekSheptek Member New Car Smell
    Thanks Gentax, this worked for me! Just got to reinstall all my liveries again now.
  • d1ead1ea Member New Car Smell
    edited December 2015
    Got this error for the first time today. Have tried everything and nothings. Got Amd 290x, Intel i7 4470k, 8 GB ram and win 10
    Post edited by d1ea on
  • DragnetDragnet Member New Car Smell
    edited December 2015

Have gotten this every now and then but from version 1.0(2) is everytime...workaround is to remove drt.exe and have Steam restore it.

Win 10, i7-5960x, 16 GB RAM, plenty of disk space and 2 x HD 7970.

Really annoying since I really love the new rally mode!

(Project CARS works like a charm.)

• atze13atze13 Member New Car Smell
    Could never even start the game once... Having had error 41, I reinstalled everything but now afer the logo screen it stays black... when I press space or enter it goes back to windows 7 closing a dialog box saying the executable doesnt work anymore.. and has to be closed.

What a pain in the $$$ - bought it just yesterday and could not start it yet. Codemasters, please provide help!!!!
    They really need to fix this.only game ever to have this error for me. Validating files every time isn't an option. Neither is deleting all your progress every day.

Come on.
    Yeah, same to me. Never ever had that problem with any game...
    If I could only start that damn thing.. just for a cruise. No chance to get it running at all...

After doing the validating thing and canceling at 3% - then update - and restart ... same error as before , but now followed but good ol ERROR 41 .. $%!T!!!

This cant be true... come on...
    now validating and letting it successfully finish - try to start: splash - black! press enter, back in steam... no error 41 - but not start either,,,
    this is really bad!
  • SkiddyMcCrashSkiddyMcCrash Member Team Principal
    atze13 said:
    After doing the validating thing and canceling at 3%
    Why cancelling at 3%? 

AMD FX-8350@4.5Ghz/EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2/16gb RAM/OS - Win 10/Turtle Beach X11/360pad                                 View - Front Bumper Cam/No Assists