Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

WRC 2018 Thread

Comments

• DiRTKiNG808DiRTKiNG808 Member Race Steward
    What if they ran 3 WRC cars at speed through the stage before the start. Call them road sweepers or something. Then start the Offical timed stage.
  • DytutDytut Member Champion
    I think a more elegant solution would be to let each team have the option of putting one car at the front of the running order. Let the running order of those cars be determined by the manufacturers points if multiple cars go in front. 

So for Sweden, We could've had the regular road order for all drivers, but each team could've put a driver at the front.

So most likely M-Sport would've put Suninen in the front to sweep for Ogier, but I don't think any other team would've pushed another car in there. If Toyota would've wanted they could've pushed Lappi up there as nr 2 on the starting order to sweep a bit more for Tänak and Latvala (but also for Ogier).
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

• RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    In fairness, they probably would have put Evans in front (out if contention) to sweep for Ogier. And he did run before, so that wouldn't have been any different.
  • carpacarpa Member Race Engineer
    Dytut said:
    I think a more elegant solution would be to let each team have the option of putting one car at the front of the running order. Let the running order of those cars be determined by the manufacturers points if multiple cars go in front. 

So for Sweden, We could've had the regular road order for all drivers, but each team could've put a driver at the front.

So most likely M-Sport would've put Suninen in the front to sweep for Ogier, but I don't think any other team would've pushed another car in there. If Toyota would've wanted they could've pushed Lappi up there as nr 2 on the starting order to sweep a bit more for Tänak and Latvala (but also for Ogier).
    Meh. That would go all in favor of team orders, hierarchies and penalising young drivers who don't have much experience for no reason. And what would happen woth Citroën who usually run just two cars?
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    carpa said:
    Dytut said:

Meh. That would go all in favor of team orders, hierarchies and penalising young drivers who don't have much experience for no reason. And what would happen woth Citroën who usually run just two cars?
    Plus rallies can be so unpredictable. In this case, Citroen would have used Breen to sweep for Meeke, but Breen was much quicker than him. 
    carpa said:
    Dytut said:

Plus rallies can be so unpredictable. In this case, Citroen would have used Breen to sweep for Meeke, but Breen was much quicker than him. 
    Fair point. I'm torn between road position ideas. On one hand, the current system is decently fair, since it makes it more of a challenge for the championship leader(s), but at the same time it would be good to have some form of sweeper before the championship leader to level the playing field just a little bit. In Sweden it really was horrible for Ogier, but for Tänak it started to get a bit better already as second car. 

But Sweden this year was an extreme case aswell, on other rallies Ogier usually has been able to keep in in contact with the lead after day one so if it's just edge cases like Sweden then I don't think it's time to overreact.

• gheeDgheeD Member Race Steward
    Dytut said:
    carpa said:
    Dytut said:

Fair point. I'm torn between road position ideas. On one hand, the current system is decently fair, since it makes it more of a challenge for the championship leader(s), but at the same time it would be good to have some form of sweeper before the championship leader to level the playing field just a little bit. In Sweden it really was horrible for Ogier, but for Tänak it started to get a bit better already as second car. 

But Sweden this year was an extreme case aswell, on other rallies Ogier usually has been able to keep in in contact with the lead after day one so if it's just edge cases like Sweden then I don't think it's time to overreact.
    Not only is/was sweden an extreme case of road sweeping (ploughing hehe) but it was an extreme winter for sweden nowadays. There is currently a large cold area over northern hemisphere/europe, causing very cold temperatures and obviously lot of snow to stick around. I remember hearing some of the commentators like becsy who have been going to sweden every year in the 2000s and never has there ever been such amount of snow and high banks.

On the flipside, even in sweden it could have been deemed the best position on the road to be first, when the event was in danger of cancelling stages due to insufficient snow conditions. The whole debacle to change the rules is really a knee-jerk reaction to a extreme case, whereas normally in sweden its much more in line with other locations' road sweeping conditions both in good and bad.
  • juu1iusjuu1ius Member Race Steward
    edited February 28
    It's not as much of fresh snow that made the difference, but the local and historic cars that are using different tires, that makes new ruts and impossible to drive  for WRC cars. Take a look at the time losses between 1st pass and 2nd pass. No other rally has SUCH disadvantage. Road position should stay, but either get rid of historics and locals or let them use same tire for everyone.
    juu1ius said:
    It's not as much of fresh snow that made the difference, but the local and historic cars that are using different tires, that makes new ruts and impossible to drive  for WRC cars. Take a look at the time losses between 1st pass and 2nd pass. No other rally has SUCH disadvantage. Road position should stay, but either get rid of historics and locals or let them use same tire for everyone.
    Or, as Ogier said, he should have been able to chose the same tyres the historics used, which is an old style wrc tyre. It would be bad for the event to lose historics
    I wonder if they'll actually be able to get the Safari rally back for 2020. With Japan lined up for 2019 it would be a quite full season if the Safari was to be in there aswell. Has China dropped out completely after the failure last time they tried?

Dytut said:
    I wonder if they'll actually be able to get the Safari rally back for 2020. With Japan lined up for 2019 it would be a quite full season if the Safari was to be in there aswell. Has China dropped out completely after the failure last time they tried?
    Looks like it, hasn’t been mentioned since. There’s also been talk of Chile and Croatia, plus another snow event. 
  • juu1iusjuu1ius Member Race Steward
    afaik, Chinas government wasn't really interested in  WRC project, only local region was packing it. Seems like there's a lot of interests in WRC events: Canada, Chile, Estonia,  Kenya all supported by their government and Japan pushed by Toyotas interest. Kenya is going big with their promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPTaMSAsVvQ The new Rally Safari will be tamed down to smooth gravel roads.
    Croatia was candidate for this season, are they still going to campaign for next year(s)?
    edited February 28
    Yeah that's right, we have a bunch more candidates. Of all I've seen so far Japan seems closest to actually entering, with Canada and Safari getting close.

Sounded like Croatia was voted down last year, due to it being just another european rally. Estonia might pick up the slack of Rally Poland, but it suffers a bit from being Rally Finlands little brother much like Poland did.  If Turkey is a big let down this year they might get a shot, but Poland might also be ready to go for it again.
    Chile sounded a bit interesting, since from what I understood the roads would set it apart from Argentina and Mexico on the South American scene.
    Post edited by Dytut on

Oh man! Safari and Japan would be great additions to the calendar. I'm sure they could fit two more rally's.
  • gfRallygfRally Member Champion
    I heard North Korea was looking for 2021, you heard it here first!

twitch: gfrally    twitter: gflinch

edited February 28
    If the Rally Canada goes though that is one step closer to having a World Rally in the United States! I am certain a USA round would have HUGE support.
  • SamRWDSamRWD Member Race Engineer
    Dytut said:
    Poland might also be ready to go for it again.

It won't. Believe or not, but our rally managers have their hands tied because of old **** from Polish National Motorsport Association. There was an option to run a joint event with Czech people, but our old buttheads said they can do it on their own, and here we are. We have to wait another 10- 15 years before all people from Soviet times retire here in Poland before things move forward.
  • Madhun1967Madhun1967 Member Pit Crew
    WONDER WHATS UP THEIR ASS????????????  there have been plenty of rallies in the Eastern bloc, and for them not to realize that its exposure and good for tourism and the economy is just utter nonsense.
  • versediversedi Member Champion
    WONDER WHATS UP THEIR ASS????????????  there have been plenty of rallies in the Eastern bloc, and for them not to realize that its exposure and good for tourism and the economy is just utter nonsense.
    Not enough money that they can legally steal.

• Madhun1967Madhun1967 Member Pit Crew
    lol yeah i bet ! shame really that a few have control still over these kind of things