Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

WRC 2018 Thread

Comments

• DytutDytut Member Champion
    Yeah Evans seem to be doing a Paddon. Getting that win and looking good, then fading into the background :-/ I hope he can recover and start pushing some stage wins soon. I suspect that it's mentally harder for him to not keep up this year though. Last year he could always fall back on the dmacks not being up to for it when he was slower, now he's on the same tyres but the times aren't coming.

But going to be interesting to see how far the Tänak attack will come this year. He's always been fast but not fully consistent, but he really does seem to be on a new level now and the Toyota is starting to deliver.

Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

Well that was a dull and predictable start to Portugal.... 

• carpacarpa Member Race Engineer
    Dytut said:
    Well that was a dull and predictable start to Portugal.... 
    ... then they started SS2  :D
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    Kris Meeke is a lucky, lucky boy. That could easily have been very serious.

https://twitter.com/paddocknews/status/997877106607616001?s=21

Great Rally though, tough conditions. Lots of casualties, with lots of big names getting caught out. Great drive from Neuville and Evans. It’s defin made the championship race more exciting!
  • juu1iusjuu1ius Member Race Steward
    I was on training for Friday and Saturday, w/o any internet connection. Imagine my suprise at lunch that Tänak was out on SS2 and the carnage that fallowed in evening. Super glad for Evans and Sunninen, podium should be real confidence boost.
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    edited May 21

Great Rally though, tough conditions. Lots of casualties, with lots of big names getting caught out. Great drive from Neuville and Evans. It’s defin made the championship race more exciting!
    I saw the pictures of the wrecked car before I saw the video. I was actually surprised by the video of the crash as, based on the state of the car, I thought it was going to be a much faster crash. 

As you say though, very lucky escape for Meeke. Unlucky weekend for Ogier, I was hoping that Neuville would be able to narrow the point gap down to keep the Championship close, but he has now shot ahead. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

Looking forward to the Ogier fightback for the next two rallies. He does not like being second ;-) And when he really goes full on attack he can be spectacular.

• tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    Dytut said:
    Looking forward to the Ogier fightback for the next two rallies. He does not like being second ;-) And when he really goes full on attack he can be spectacular.
    I agree with this 110%. They were pretty rare, but those moments when Ogier was with VW and had to fight his way back up the order produced some of the most spectacular clips from those seasons. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• carpacarpa Member Race Engineer
    tbtstt said:

I saw the pictures of the wrecked car before I saw the video. I was actually surprised by the video of the crash as, based on the state of the car, I thought it was going to be a much faster crash. 

As you say though, very lucky escape for Meeke. Unlucky weekend for Ogier, I was hoping that Neuville would be able to narrow the point gap down to keep the Championship close, but he has now shot ahead. 
    That was very serious and, as you said, it wasn't even an off at very high speed. But it still destroyed the front part of the roll cage. The FIA need to look into this because it's a very important weakness, and possibly put stronger tests of the resistance of these parts for 2019, because that looks scary
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • ScyyScyy Member Co-Driver
    edited May 22
    I'm still expecting number 6 from Ogier this year. He would still be pretty much even in points if he didn't get completely screwed in Sweden with the way they ran the event. I expect he's going to narrow the gap round by round with the way he's been on gravel this year. It's definitely been up another notch compared to last year.

Really glad Evans and Suninen got good results this event. Ever since Finland and Poland last year I've expected Suninen to go places as he's gotten more experience. Hopefully he'll stay on it for the rest of the European gravel events coming up.
    Post edited by Scyy on
    The Hypno Toad on Leaderboards
  • DiRTKiNG808DiRTKiNG808 Member Race Steward
    Rally Portugal was awesome! So hard on the cars and drivers. I am really happy for Fords strong results. 2 cars in the top 3! Well done to Teemu Suninen and Elfyn Evans! Seb Ogier will come back swinging I am sure of that. I like seeing the other Ford drivers pulling their weight and adding to the manufactures fight. Its going to go down to the wire with Ford vs Hyundai. Great season so far.
    Nice to see Dani Sordo upping his pace this season, will be a tall order for Paddon to keep his seat for 2019. Don't think Paddon will move to another manufacturer lightly either, he has such strong ties to Hyundai at home. 

• boganibogani Member Champion
    Dytut said:
    Nice to see Dani Sordo upping his pace this season, will be a tall order for Paddon to keep his seat for 2019. Don't think Paddon will move to another manufacturer lightly either, he has such strong ties to Hyundai at home. 

Mikkelsen isn't exactly doing anybody happy at the moment either.
    bogani said:
    Dytut said:

Mikkelsen isn't exactly doing anybody happy at the moment either.
    True that. I was expecting more from him to be honest. Fine that he might need a few more rallies to get really comfortable in the car, but looking at how Ott performs at Toyota and how Loeb could just jump straight in the fight with the Citroën he really needs to perform better if he really wants to go for that championship.

Ya, what in the world is wrong for Meeke. Its painful to watch him crash now because I know it just moves him closer to being out of the team. Ott is doing an amazing job at Toyota. I did not expect him to be the best out of his team right out of the gate.
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    Yeah, Meeke just seem to have to drive too much on the edge at take too many risks to contend for the top times.

Latvala is another one that is really going down hill. He can do well on certain rallies but he just isn't fast enough on a regular basis to fight for the championship.
  • warpengagewarpengage Member Race Engineer
    Meeke almost got himself, and his co-driver, killed. When I saw the pictures of the car, I couldn't believe they just walked out of that.
    That just shows how strong those cars really are. Props to the manufactures for making them so strong.
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    Wow! Meeke and Citroen have parted ways! Apparently due to safety concerns! Sounds like Citroen are worried about Meeke injuring himself
  • warpengagewarpengage Member Race Engineer
    Wow! Meeke and Citroen have parted ways! Apparently due to safety concerns! Sounds like Citroen are worried about Meeke injuring himself
    Unfortunate for Meeke, but I can understand Citroen's decision.