Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

WRC 2018 Thread

Comments

• dwkGraveydwkGravey Member Race Engineer
    Jii7 said:
    Dytut said:
    There we go, the expected announcements of Meeke to Toyota and Lappi to Citroën.
    As a finn I'm having hard time to understand Lappi's move to Citroen. He is moving from the strongest team to the weakest team at the moment. Also same team as Ogier = always the number 2 driver. Latvala and Evans are the proof of that.
    Me too, if I was playing Devil's Advocate, I'd say that he's going to a team where Ogier will be number one but has inferred that he will step down; it gives him a chance to really build a team around him to take over when Seb retires and become a number one. Neuville and Tanak you'd expect to be around a bit longer.
    I think it was on the Absolute Rally podcast, they said it could also be the opportunity to work beside and learn from Ogier. That experience has worked out pretty well for Tanak. If this is Ogier's last contract, then in a couple of years Lappi could be leading an Ogier-built team with a few seasons learning from the champ.
  • DytutDytut Member Champion
    dwkGravey said:
    Jii7 said:
    Dytut said:
    There we go, the expected announcements of Meeke to Toyota and Lappi to Citroën.
    As a finn I'm having hard time to understand Lappi's move to Citroen. He is moving from the strongest team to the weakest team at the moment. Also same team as Ogier = always the number 2 driver. Latvala and Evans are the proof of that.
    Me too, if I was playing Devil's Advocate, I'd say that he's going to a team where Ogier will be number one but has inferred that he will step down; it gives him a chance to really build a team around him to take over when Seb retires and become a number one. Neuville and Tanak you'd expect to be around a bit longer.
    I think it was on the Absolute Rally podcast, they said it could also be the opportunity to work beside and learn from Ogier. That experience has worked out pretty well for Tanak. If this is Ogier's last contract, then in a couple of years Lappi could be leading an Ogier-built team with a few seasons learning from the champ.
    I think it's a combo of both. Being the clear no 2 driver is probably easier for him than to be the no 3 at Toyota. I also get the feeling that he hasn't quite liked the Yaris, as if it hasn't suited his driving style. Combine that with the chance to work close with Ogier and learn from him. 

Lappi wants to win, and he hasn't really moved forward that much this year. So switch things up and work with the champ is probably a good move in his mind.
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

• RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    Still seems to be a lot of debate whether Kris did crash the Yaris or not, but to be honest it does t really matter too much. I’ve also heard rumours that Ogier rolled the fiesta on his first test with m-sport which was kept quiet. It’s testing and it happens sometimes, just unfortunate if it happens early with a new team!

I think the Toyota will suit Kris’ driving style quite well and I’m looking forward to seeing what he does in it
  • Jii7Jii7 Member New Car Smell
    Dytut said:
    Yeah... If I was Malcolm Wilson I'd consider grabbing Kalle for 2019.
    Kalle has an contract for Skoda until 2019. Pretty sure he is going to Toyota for 2020 along with japanese WRC2 driver Takamoto Katsuta
    Still seems to be a lot of debate whether Kris did crash the Yaris or not, but to be honest it does t really matter too much. I’ve also heard rumours that Ogier rolled the fiesta on his first test with m-sport which was kept quiet. It’s testing and it happens sometimes, just unfortunate if it happens early with a new team!

I think the Toyota will suit Kris’ driving style quite well and I’m looking forward to seeing what he does in it
    Yeah I think so too. It seems to favour an aggressive driving style. I'd actually like to see how Ostberg would do in a Yaris.Jii7 said:
    Dytut said:
    Kalle has an contract for Skoda until 2019. Pretty sure he is going to Toyota for 2020 along with japanese WRC2 driver Takamoto Katsuta
    Oh, didn't know he was signed for 2019 :-) Yeah, the 2020 Toyota seat sound quite plausible then.

• RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    Anyone here going to Spain next week? I'm hoping to get there just in time for Shakedown.
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    Jii7 said:
    Dytut said:
    I understand why Toyota wants a Japanese driver there, but Katsuta? It feels like he had the drive of his life in Sweden this year. What has he done since?
    bogani said:
    Jii7 said:
    Dytut said:
    I understand why Toyota wants a Japanese driver there, but Katsuta? It feels like he had the drive of his life in Sweden this year. What has he done since?

And, whilst he had the drive of his life and I was cheering for him the whole way, it's fair to say that his tyres (TMR only ones on Pirelli?) helped somewhat.
  • Jii7Jii7 Member New Car Smell
    edited October 21
    bogani said:
    Japanese rally drivers Takamoto Katsuta and Hiroki Arai and also co-driver Sayaka Adachi are all part of TGR Challenge Program. They have all been participated in the Finnish rally championship season for couple of years now in with TMR team. They have also participated in couple of rallys in the WRC calander. Challenge program is aimed to train japanese rally drivers to compete in the WRC and Katsuta seems to the most potential driver. If he gets the seat in the Toyota WRC he will probably get Sayaka as his co-driver. Then it's a japanese driver and co-driver in a japanese rallycar.

Jii7 said:
    bogani said:
    Japanese rally drivers Takamoto Katsuta and Hiroki Arai and also co-driver Sayaka Adachi are all part of TGR Challenge Program. They have all been participated in the Finnish rally championship season for couple of years now in with TMR team. They have also participated in couple of rallys in the WRC calander. Challenge program is aimed to train japanese rally drivers to compete in the WRC and Katsuta seems to the most potential driver. If he gets the seat in the Toyota WRC he will probably get Sayaka as his co-driver. Then it's a japanese driver and co-driver in a japanese rallycar.

I'm fully aware of that. I'm just questioning whether there is talent enough to sit in a Yaris WRC in 2019.
    bogani said:
    Jii7 said:
    bogani said:

I'm fully aware of that. I'm just questioning whether there is talent enough to sit in a Yaris WRC in 2019.
    For 2019, not a chance. For 2020, not so sure. He was fast and consistent in Sweden, but he hasn't really shown that much pace after that. Definitely not enough to unseat any of the three drivers Toyota has now.
    But TGR really wants a japanese driver in the top league, so they might go for a fourth car on a part time program.

Just because I want to be silly during silly season.

Peugeot leaves WRX for 2019. Loeb wants something do to but gets tired of PSA. Malcolm sneaks in and offers him a drive at M-Sport for 2019  B) :p ;)

• juu1iusjuu1ius Member Race Steward
    Dytut said:

Peugeot leaves WRX for 2019. Loeb wants something do to but gets tired of PSA. Malcolm sneaks in and offers him a drive at M-Sport for 2019  B) :p ;)
    As much as I would like that, he's under PSA contract for another year. Citroen would never let their legend to join another team while they have something to say about it.
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    Dytut said:

Haha, I put that on Facebook as my extra silly silly season suggestion! 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• mats27mats27 Member New Car Smell
    Will be interesting to see which Solberg comes out on top this weekend in the R5s :D

Game Designer at Codemasters
    Twitter 
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    mats27 said:
    Will be interesting to see which Solberg comes out on top this weekend in the R5s :D

I would say the sensible money is on Henning: he has more seat time (and recent experience) in the car... 

...that said, Petter is no slouch and if that Polo isn't on the pace I would be surprised. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

Just arrived in Barcelona, now to drive south...
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    I’ll be interested to see how Block gets on. He said himself he knows he won’t be anywhere near the top, which is very true. But I hope he can put in a semi decent performance to silence a few of his critics!

Also, this championship battle is going to be great. I predict Tänak to win, Ogier 2nd, and Neuville 4th maybe
    I think Ogier will win this one.          
    bogani said:
    I think Ogier will win this one.          
    Nah, the Tänak attack will continue. Tänak first, winning by about 30 seconds after blitzing fridays gravel. Then I actually wager that Loeb will snatch second, while Ogier and Neuville will battle it out for 3rd after both having some small isuues. 

This would leave it wide open for a three way battle in Australia aswell :-D