Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

WRC 2019 Thread

Comments

• versediversedi Member Champion
    I think Kajto would be similar to Evans, consistent but not super quick. To be honest, I think WRC is a step too far for Kubica at the moment, I really think he should have a crack at the full ERC; more tarmac events, at a level he's won at before. Use that series to build consistency (as it did for Neuville and Mikkelsen). Would be great to see a two car, Lotos-backed ERC effort.
    It would be kinda of step backwards...the gap between ERC and WRC is too big.
  • RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    Ostberg has such a poor reputation that I feel is massively undeserved, for the last couple of years he's managed a 'best of the rest' and done a great job with getting the best result possible for the car he HD, very much like Hirvonen did before. He's also only a year or two older than Tanak or Evans, th e same as Paddon and nearly a decade younger than Meeke. Citroen would do a decent job to keep both, unless Neuville was available and Matton reckons he can turn his clock back two years.
    Put the Stratos back in H2 please!!!
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    I like Mads, he might not always be the fastest but he's fairly consistent and seems a really nice guy
  • enamelenamel Member Race Steward
    Lets not forget that Kubica was the WRC2 champion in 2013 in an RRC, which is very close to WRC spec. He has also shown great outright speed and I definitely think he deserves to be in the WRC. However I think him wanting to run his own team due to his sponsorship deal is hurting him.
  • FloatingGrassFloatingGrass Member Pit Crew
    I'd love something like this:

VW: Ogier, Latvala (WOO) and Mikkelsen (YEAH)
    Citroen: Meeke and Neuville, perhaps Lefebvre
    M-Sport: Evans and Ostberg/Bertelli
    Hyundai: Sordo and Paddon, Abbring in the second team

Honestly, I think Meeke is a great, albeit sloppy driver. I can't bear see him go.

Hayden Paddon is absolutely incredible. If only he had a faster car... Give him a few years and he'll be scaring Ogier and Latvala.

Tänak is not good IMO. I had hopes for him but I feel he failed to deliver. I really like Elfyn though. I think he has potential.

Not much to say on Sordo, apart from his bad luck, or Abbring. Ostberg... meh. Nothing too extraordinary for me.

It's a shame Neuville dropped so low. He was really promising. What could have happened?

VW should stay the same. I genuinely think Latvala might win the championship next year, as long as he delivers like in 2014 all year long. Go JML!

Expect none and 10/10 times you won't be disappointed.
  • AreyoubenAreyouben Member Race Engineer
    Maybe it's the i20 not having as much mechanical grip as the Polo and DS3 have causing him to push even harder and making mistakes as a result? Don't really know how the i20 performs as far as grip goes.
  • RSRallyRSRally Member New Car Smell
    I wonder how quick the new I20 will be. It would be good for the 2016 season to see other manufacturers winning stages a little more often. 
    What will hapen with the 'old' I20's, are they available for pritvateers? 
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    tbtstt said:
    I heard over the weekend that while Petter will be doing WRX in 2016 it will be with VW. 
    That's an interesting bit of gossip. I had wondered if there was a possible Toyota hook up in the works (as that would also tie in with Petter's Dakar comments a few months ago).

If Solberg does go down the VW route for rallycross I wonder if he will be driving as part of the Marklund or Kristoffersson teams, or if he will run as a privateer team again?
    I heard it'd be more of a factory VW effort.
    That is interesting. Marklund Motorsport have links to the VW WRC team and Kristoffersson Motorsport are sponsored by a dealership, but neither of them are proper works teams.

A VW full works effort would be pretty interesting to see but, personally, I hope that Petter sticks with the DS3. A couple of years ago the European Rallycross Championship was flooded with DS3's, but there were only a couple being used by the front runners this year. Would be a shame to see the DS3 completely disappear off the grid in 2016.

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

I heard rumours that the main reason for VW's speed above the other teams is their suspension technology. Don't know how much truth to that, but supposedly its leaps and bounds ahead of the other teams
  • RallycameramanRallycameraman Member Champion
    I heard rumours that the main reason for VW's speed above the other teams is their suspension technology. Don't know how much truth to that, but supposedly its leaps and bounds ahead of the other teams
    Yep that's right. It was very visible how each car handled the big bump on the inside of the right hander I was at on shakedown.
    Check out my YouTube channel - youtube.com/user/lukeharvey2006

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rallycameraman/
    Slightly off topic, but the Andretti Autosport team (who run the VW Beetles in the American Global Rallycross Championship) have been accused of fitting some sort of trick traction control system to the cars. Impressive engineering (but incredibly poor sportsmanship!) if that is the case. 

As for the WRC Polos, they do look incredibly planted, even when they are travelling sideways at speed. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• gfRallygfRally Member Champion
    This is more of an opinion and wish than based on facts.  It would be cool to see Audi in WRC again, not sure how that would work out with VW owning them.  Some of the older 'members' stepping up to compete too would be nice.  Again if only $$$ was never an issue.

twitch: gfrally    twitter: gflinch

Audi in the WRC will not happen with both VW and Skoda of the Volkswagen Group allready into rallying and Audi competing in WEC and DTM  ;) 
    I haven't seen anything of Tanak's retirement from GB, so I just watched his onboard on WRC+ of stage 16, and he was incredibly unlucky. It just looks like he touched a bank, which 99 times out of 100 wouldn't have done anything. There were videos of Ogier and Mikkelson hitting banks in the Polo twice as hard as Tanak did.
  • NightswipeNightswipe Member Unleaded
    Do you know any site that have each rally with a 1 hour long recap posted anywhere?
  • PorkhammerPorkhammer Member Champion
    Do you know any site that have each rally with a 1 hour long recap posted anywhere?
    http://www.redbull.tv/shows/AP-1GJUZWUCW2111/world-rally-championship-2015

Got this one off ramPage!

"forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza" -michaelangelo
    Annoucement on the Citroen Racing website...

...indicates that Citroen will sit out the 2016 WRC season and return again in 2017. Bad news for Meeke and Ostberg! 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

So in 2017 we will have VW, Citroen, Hyundai, M-Sport and Toyota!!? That is great news :smiley: 
    Shame though we have to miss citroen for 2016... Or could there be a possibility that they will start as a privateer team next season?
  • YoMrWhiteYoMrWhite Member Race Steward
    Bad news for Kris Meeke. After Mini it's the second time he is on a team that quits - or takes a hiatus. I really hope he finds a place at M-Sport or Hyundai. Or at least in a private Citroen.
    Daryl Willcox on Steam and leaderboards
  • AreyoubenAreyouben Member Race Engineer
    It's for the best for their future though, if they want to take the time to build a competitive car. Might be so that Meeke and Ostberg stay to test and develop the new car?