Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

WRC 2019 Thread

Comments

• RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    Lots of drivers for less seats next year then. It's a bit of a shame we will be missing a team next year, but I'm very glad they chose WRC over WTCC
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    Perhaps Meeke jumped ship before now, maybe he's been a catalyst in Citroen pulling 2016?  Strong rumours that he's for Hyundai.
  • AreyoubenAreyouben Member Race Engineer
    By the way, what happened with Matthew Wilson? I remember him getting injured at some point but looking back at the season trough the link @Porkhammer ;posted you can see him doing recce work. Was it just funding stopping his WRC career or something else?
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    KevM said:
    Perhaps Meeke jumped ship before now, maybe he's been a catalyst in Citroen pulling 2016?  Strong rumours that he's for Hyundai.
    Autosport are reporting that Ostberg won't be a part of Citroen's plans in 2016 and that they are still in talks with Meeke. 

The ideal solution would be for Citroen to allow Meeke to race for another marque in 2016, but I don't know how feasible that is (and it would surely be beneficial for Meeke to be involved with the development of the new car if he is to drive it in 2017). 

Short term the Citroen annoucement isn't great news as it seems even more likely that the 2016 season will be a VW whitewash. I personally think that's a price worth paying for seeing a decent 2017 season and beyond though: Citroen (hopefully) competitive again, VW, Ford, Hyundai and the return of Toyota.

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    Areyouben said:
    By the way, what happened with Matthew Wilson? I remember him getting injured at some point but looking back at the season trough the link @Porkhammer ;posted you can see him doing recce work. Was it just funding stopping his WRC career or something else?
    I suspect that the fact he wasn't that good and only had a seat because Daddy ran the company might be the reason. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• AreyoubenAreyouben Member Race Engineer
    Or maybe they do what VW did before the Polo when they put Ogier and Abbring in a pair of Skoda's. I could see Citroen let Meeke run a R5 DS3 next year while the 2017 machine is being developed.
  • FedemaisonnaveFedemaisonnave Member, Drivers Petrol Head
    Areyouben said:
    Just find mattyjim1 on instagram and you will be automatically jelous about what he do, he tests thr fiesta and is the manager of Bentley MSport at GT3, BTW please Kris to MSport!
  • FedemaisonnaveFedemaisonnave Member, Drivers Petrol Head
    KevM said:
    Hyundai have no cars for top drivers, Neuville, Paddon and will not accept an old i20, they just have 2 new i20's , if they give a old one to Thierry he will retire from Hyundai Motorsport
  • YoMrWhiteYoMrWhite Member Race Steward

Areyouben said:
    It's for the best for their future though, if they want to take the time to build a competitive car. Might be so that Meeke and Ostberg stay to test and develop the new car?

We'll see. 2017 is going to be a very interesting year, that's for sure.

2016 not so much. Looks like a walkover for VW. Somehow I don't believe, Hyundai will be able to close the gap. And M-Sport just hasn't got the same resources. Hope I'm wrong though.

Daryl Willcox on Steam and leaderboards
    edited November 2015
    The drivers seem positive that Hyundai are making a big step forward next year with the new car. But this news is looking like we will be sacrificing 2016 for 2017 in terms of competitiveness and excitement

edit: Meeke and seb confirmed for part 2016 programme and 2017 development apparently 
    Post edited by RallyDriven on
  • RallycameramanRallycameraman Member Champion
    Ostberg full season in a M-Sport Fiesta WRC. 
    Check out my YouTube channel - youtube.com/user/lukeharvey2006

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rallycameraman/
  • RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    Partial programme for Lefevbre and Meeke with PH Sport, according to the former's Twitter:
    Put the Stratos back in H2 please!!!
  • szektoszekto Member New Car Smell
    Today's announcement from Citroen makes no sense for me. They will quit the WRC for 1 year, and then they will enter it in 2017 again...Why the heck they can't participate in 2016, just like collecting the kms and experience for the future?
    'If in doubt, flat out' - Colin McRae

My PC: ASRock FM2A55-HD+ | AMD A10-5800K @ 3.8 GHz | 2*4 GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX Blu 1600 MHz | Gigabyte GTX 960 2 GB DDR5 WF2 | WD Caviar Blue 500 GB HDD | Samsung SyncMaster 2043 BW @ 1680x1050
  • versediversedi Member Champion
    edited November 2015
    szekto said:
    Today's announcement from Citroen makes no sense for me. They will quit the WRC for 1 year, and then they will enter it in 2017 again...Why the heck they can't participate in 2016, just like collecting the kms and experience for the future?

$$.

They need $ for developing new car that could compete with already developed VW for 2017.

szekto said:
    Maybe they don't have the budget and would rather put all the money into 2017
    edited November 2015
    Yeah, the current car has been in development since 2010/1 - no more major gains to be made with it and might as well focus on the new car rather than chase second in a championship (against a new Hyundai) again. They can also take stock of the driver market in case Neuville, Ogier or Latvala become available for 2017. Makes perfect sense; great news for rallying IMO.

Maybe if it isn't a 'current' car though, it would be eligible for DiRT Rally. You know, like the Hyundai i20 (2 door) isn't 'current' any more.......
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    Partial programme for Lefevbre and Meeke with PH Sport, according to the former's Twitter:
    Sure they did Yves, sure they did ;)

• Your face is 7 characters too short.
    szekto said:

It makes sense, because the 2017 cars will be all new and they need someone to test and develop them. Drivers with a full season in the "old" car wouldn't be available often enough.

Keeping Meeke and Lefebvre makes sense, too - if that is confirmed. They need at least one driver with some experience. Apparently Kris is willing to sacrifice one year and Lefebvre still needs some time to develop anyway. Let's just hope they do a few rallies to make things more interesting in 2016.

KevM said:

Oh well, there goes my analysis...