Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

WRC 2019 Thread

Comments

• RallycameramanRallycameraman Member Champion
    Also with Citroen not competing in 2016 they're not tied by any of the FIA regulations so they can do as many testing days and kilometres as the want. 
    Check out my YouTube channel - youtube.com/user/lukeharvey2006

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rallycameraman/
  • RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    Also with Citroen not competing in 2016 they're not tied by any of the FIA regulations so they can do as many testing days and kilometres as the want. 
    Couldn't they do that anyway? Doesn't seem like VW have been holding back on testing their 2017 mule.
    Put the Stratos back in H2 please!!!
  • sqdstrsqdstr Member Petrol Head
    Back in 2006 Citroen did exactly the same thing, pulling out of the WRC for 1 year to further develop the C4 WRC for 2007.
    Loeb & Sordo ran in privateer Xsara WRC's prepared by Kronos Racing.
  • thecraicbearthecraicbear Member Champion
    edited November 2015
    EDIT: Didn't realise Citroen were taking part still, just not in a competitive programme. My first thought was that they were going to miss the season altogether. 

Interviewer:
    "In more than three words, can you sum up your day for me today?"
    Grönholm: "Not very good... today."

As the wise man Bitto69 once said, "laughter and free :)"

EDIT: Didn't realise Citroen were taking part still, just not in a competitive programme. My first thought was that they were going to miss the season altogether. 
    They will, as a team, but I suspect they'll pay for PH Sport to run Meeke and Lefebvre in a few European events, both to keep their hand in and to incentive development of the new car, in Meeke's case. It won't be like Kronos running full season in 2006.
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    szekto said:
    Today's announcement from Citroen makes no sense for me. They will quit the WRC for 1 year, and then they will enter it in 2017 again...Why the heck they can't participate in 2016, just like collecting the kms and experience for the future?
    I personally don't think the current-spec DS3 is on par with the Polo. Why pour money and development trying to sort that car when it will be redundant at the end of the year anyway? 

I think their plan makes perfect sense: and it's good news for the WRC in the long term as Citroen seem to have a renewed interest in it again.

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

Secondary bonus is that WTCC might be worth watching again, with private Citroens and (semi-)works Ladas, Hondas, Volvos and private Citroens and Chevys.
  • MastaVonBlastaMastaVonBlasta Member, Drivers Team Principal
    I can see the reasoning  behind Citroen's decision to miss out on 2016 and come back strong in 2017 when the beasty new cars will come in.

However, that leaves up to 9 factory seats in the 2016 championships, out of which 5-6 are very firm. I do think there's more talented drivers deserving a WRC drive than 9... And that will leave without much to do in 2016...

The sad state of WRC is that even for privateers it's challenging to attract sponsors willing to fork out for a full campaign, as they just don't see the return in terms of promotion.

Are VW going about WRC in a good way? Absolutely yes - they've created an unbeatable combo of team + car + driver and it seems no other manufacturer wants to go that HARD at WRC. It's quite interesting that VW still want to do it, with the emissions scandal going on.

I hoped there would be some movement in the factory teams for next year, but there just won't be any. 2016 will be a bit of gap, slow year after which we'll hopefully see a good revolution.
    Twitter: MastaVonBlasta ¬ Bobby K fan ¬ Next one will be the one.
  • FedemaisonnaveFedemaisonnave Member, Drivers Petrol Head
    well thats gossiping, the stickers was aimed to petter? And finally matthew used it? For me 90% Petter Solberg  to MSport
    Petter also named as rally legend in WRGB
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    Pretty sure petter is doing rallycross next year, but there were hints he might be looking at doing something else.
    RX for next year, but possibly not with Citroen. He said he was trying to get funding for an entry to Rally Sweden for 2016 and I think he's looking at the Dakar for 2017. If that is, as rumoured, with Toyota, it could mean he's doing some WRC testing for them too.
    Tanak confirmed at DMack WRT, hope for a young gun to be his team-mate
    Expecting Ketomaa
    Expecting Ketomaa
    Yes, thats why i put hope, because Ketomaa would be a really bad choice, not the speed of any young gun and any future in it
  • RSRallyRSRally Member New Car Smell
    Expecting Ketomaa
    Yes, thats why i put hope, because Ketomaa would be a really bad choice, not the speed of any young gun and any future in it
    I would prefer to see Tidemand or Lappi instead of Ketomaa! 
  • RallycameramanRallycameraman Member Champion
    It's not been confirmed at all. Just speculation at the minute.
    Check out my YouTube channel - youtube.com/user/lukeharvey2006

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rallycameraman/
    It's not been confirmed at all. Just speculation at the minute.
    Watch tanaks facebook
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    Yeah tanak himself on Twitter suggested that he hasn't heard about any of this! Dmack are supposed to be making a big announcement soon, so it's likely they will be putting a world rally team together