Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

GP2/GP3

mike96mike96 Member Team Principal
edited September 2014 in World of Motorsport
I think we should have a thread for the support series. So, GP2 will have DRS from 2015.. 

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/09/17/gp2-cars-to-have-drs-from-2015/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
PSN ID: maptidh  Steam ID: mikeerfol
2015 Predictor team champion for Willyams
Go Honda!

Comments

• MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    Yes! Why haven't we had this before?! 

I've been watching all the GP2 and GP3 races this year and they're so good, the quality of drivers apart from the odd nutcase is brilliant. For that reason I'm not happy GP2 are going to be having DRS next year. It is good enough without it, it's not needed in my opinion.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I do not work for Codemasters
  • Skiddyboy13Skiddyboy13 Member Wheel Nut
    I agree that the racing is fine without it, however...

GP2 hasn't been doing stellar recently in its main job. That job? Being a feeder series to F1. Only Ericsson moved up from GP2 last year, and that's more to do with money rather than actual skill. And so far this year, how many drivers are rumored to move up, if any? Only Vandoorne is really talked about getting a potential seat, whilst champions such as Leimer and Valsecchi ended with no drive and unable to return to GP2.

DRS will hopefully make GP2 more relevant again. It is supposed to be the feeder series for F1, and so they need to be the most relevant series, by being a genuine step towards F1. Hopefully DRS can bring it back again, by making GP2 drivers more sought after as they would be more familiar to an F1 car than say FR 3.5, giving them an advantage.

The racing doesn't need it, but the series and drivers do.
    Youtube & Twitter

To quote Grid: ''Just do your best, you can't do more''.

• mike96mike96 Member Team Principal
    Yes! Why haven't we had this before?! 

I've been watching all the GP2 and GP3 races this year and they're so good, the quality of drivers apart from the odd nutcase is brilliant. For that reason I'm not happy GP2 are going to be having DRS next year. It is good enough without it, it's not needed in my opinion.
    Speaking of nutcase.. 

Go Honda!
  • JiggyJiggy Member Co-Driver
    Most talents who are anyone are looking to get themselves into the Formula Renault-series, instead of the GP2/3, that's their problem.

Right now, there isn't anyone in the GP2-field who should be anywhere near F1. Races are entertaining as always though, but it has lost its unofficial title as home of the Formula One-drivers of tomorrow.
  • Juice29Juice29 Member Wheel Nut
    Gp2 racing is good just loads of stupid errors feature race at hockenheim stands out for me

#TeamLH

• BritpointBritpoint Member, Codemasters Codemasters Employee
    I love these series and watch every race that I can. Very annoyed that they're going to have DRS from next year though, it really doesn't need it. I don't see how it's going to make it 'more relevant' to F1 either; it's not like DRS is a difficult system that they need a ton of experience with. You press a button, you go faster down the straight. Easy.

In F1, DRS exists as a solution to the problem of trying to follow closely in very downforce reliant cars. In GP2, the cars are slower and they have less downforce, so that problem isn't significant enough to damage the racing. I worry that just introducing this system to be more like F1 will only serve to cheapen the racing.
    Game Designer at Codemasters. Opinions expressed are my own.
    Will probably cause more issues

#TeamLH

For the first time in.a few years GP2 should be stronger than wsr thoughts?

#TeamLH

It's a shame they have DRS.. :/ 
    Go Honda!
    Why?

#TeamLH

Juice29 said:
    Why?
    Because they didn't need it, the racing was good either way.
    Go Honda!
    mike96 said:
    Juice29 said:
    Why?
    Because they didn't need it, the racing was good either way.
    True. But I think the reason the organisers did.it is too.bring it closer to WSR Any tips for the.title?

#TeamLH

GP2? Vandoorne has it in the bag imo.
    Go Honda!
    I think one of the DAMS drivers might do it. Its hard to say testing times have been so damn close

#TeamLH

It's hard to say who the champion will be, there's some serious talent out there this year. 

However, I think it will probably be one of these 3, who I think will probably be the strongest drivers on the grid this year (in no particular order):
    - Vandoorne
    - Lynn
    - Gasly

I'm not too disappointed that there'll be DRS this year. It's worked well in Formula 1 so why not try it out in GP2?

Also I wonder who will be the lead commentator this year for GP2 and GP3 as Will Buxton said he wouldn't be continuing this season.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I do not work for Codemasters
    Also who do you think will win at least 1 race this year

#TeamLH

Juice29 said:
    Also who do you think will win at least 1 race this year
    Looking at the drivers for this season, again in no particular order, I'd go for:
    - Vandoorne
    - Lynn
    - Gasly
    - Evans
    - Marciello
    - Sirotkin
    You forgot Stanaway :p

#TeamLH

• cooldude7cooldude7 Member Unleaded
    So Vandoorne take the first pole of 2015, no surprise really. Matsushita second is however. Disappointing qualifying for Evens in P13. Looks set for a good race tomorrow.
    Good job by Vandoorne, and Lynn 3rd in his first race which is good for tomorrow!

I'm not a fan so far of the new commentator though, Alex Jacques I think he's called? Within the first ten minutes of first practice he made no less than three quite notable errors, which included...
    - Calling Jordan King, Justin King (his dad).
    - Saying 'Alex Lynn of course won the GP2 series last year'.

Hopefully he'll get better as the races go by but I miss Will's edginess and opinionated commentary.