Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator
edited April 5 in World of Motorsport
It has to make a comeback!

Team Car Power Unit 1st Driver 2nd Driver Test/Reserve/Development Driver(s)
Mercedes AMG Petronas W08 Mercedes #44 Lewis Hamilton #77 Valtteri Bottas #94 Pascal Wehrlein, #31 Esteban Ocon
Red Bull Racing RB13 Tag Heuer (Renault) #3 Daniel Ricciardo #33 Max Verstappen Pierre Gasly
Scuderia FerrariSF70H Ferrari #5 Sebastian Vettel #7 Kimi Raikkonen Antonio Giovinazzi
Sahara Force India VJM-10 Mercedes #11 Sergio Perez #31 Esteban Ocon Alfonso Celis Jr.
Williams Martini Racing FW40 Mercedes #19 Felipe Massa #18 Lance Stroll Paul di Resta
McLaren MCL32 Honda #14 Fernando Alonso #2 Stoffel Vandoorne #22 Jenson Button
Scuderia Toro Rosso STR12 Toro Rosso (Renault) #55 Carlos Sainz Jr. #26 Daniil Kvyat Pierre Gasly, Niko Kari, Sergio Camara, Luis Leeds, Richard Verschoor
Haas VF-17 Ferrari #8 Romain Grosjean #20 Kevin Magnussen Santino Ferrucci
Renault Sport F1 RS17 Renault #27 Nico Hulkenberg #30 Jolyon Palmer Sergey Sirotkin
Sauber C36 2016 Ferrari #94 Pascal Wehrlein #9 Marcus Ericsson #36 Antonio Giovinazzi, Tatiana Calderon

Event Track Dates
Pre-Season Testing Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya 27th Febriary - 2nd March
Pre-Season Testing Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya 7th -10th March
Australian Grand Prix Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit 24th-26th March
Chinese Grand Prix Shanghai International Circuit 7th-9th April
Bahrain Grand Prix Bahrain International Circuit 14th-16th April
Russian Grand Prix Sochi Autodrom 28th-30th April
Spanish Grand Prix Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya 12th-14th May
Monaco Grand Prix Circuit de Monaco 26th-28th May
Canadian Grand Prix Circuit Gilles Villenueve 9th-11th June
Azerbaijan Grand Prix Baku City Circuit 23rd-25th June
Austrian Grand Prix Red Bull Ring 7th-9th July
British Grand Prix Silverstone Circuit 14th-16th July
Hungarian Grand Prix Hungaroring 28th-30th July
Belgian Grand Prix Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps 25th-27th August
Italian Grand Prix Autodromo Nazionale Monza 1st-3rd September
Singapore Grand Prix Marina Bay Street Circuit 15th-17th September
Malaysia Grand Prix Sepang International Circuit 29th September-1st October
Japanese Grand Prix Suzuka Circuit 6th-8th October
United States Grand Prix Circuit of the Americas 20th-22nd October
Mexican Grand Prix Autodromo Hermanos Rodríguez 27th-29th October
Brazilian Grand Prix Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace 10th-12th November
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Yas Marina Circuit 24th-26th November

Post edited by fIsince08 on

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

Comments

• justbigleejustbiglee Member Champion
    yugin96 said:

Love that gif :D

Former DiRT Community Manager, owner of the most bitchin community in the company

Twitter: justbiglee

• MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    Vettel at the end is like 'Did he actually just do that?' :p
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I do not work for Codemasters
  • KRTheIcemanKRTheIceman Member Pit Crew
    edited April 2014
  • fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

I still laugh every time :p
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I do not work for Codemasters
  • yugin96yugin96 Member Co-Driver
    1) Spot Kimi.
    2) Spot Vettel.

I run f1livestrategy, an account tweeting real-time strategy updates during F1 weekends.
  • onetwothreeonetwothree Member Team Principal
    edited April 2014
    Well it appears as though they're playing rock, paper, scissors under Marcus Ericsson's bottom.
    ^^^^This comment will get me banned

#CauseBabyYoureAFireeeeeedreamTheWayYouTurnMeOn
    Or doing what Kimi was doing in the press conference a day or two earlier.
  • couger1981couger1981 Member Race Engineer
    Storm troopers showing how a pit stop is done

Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 2017
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion

sounds like good news about Schumi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26885624

about time I'd say

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• SynGamerSynGamer Member Co-Driver
    edited April 2014

sounds like good news about Schumi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26885624

about time I'd say

I really hope conscious signs are true. Only time can heal his body.
    Please read the [FORUM RULES] and [SEARCH] before you post.
    Website | Twitter | Tumblr
  • KRTheIcemanKRTheIceman Member Pit Crew
    Yep, he won't just wake up and be fine again, long road ahead.
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    Yep, he won't just wake up and be fine again, long road ahead.
    indeed not but it's a good step in the right direction and at the moment that's all we can hope for

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

Interesting stuff on why the Mercedes engine is giving its teams a power advantage at the moment.

From Motor Sport magazine:

"Mercedes have split the turbine and compressor - which are normally sited next to each other in turbo engines - so that the compressor is at the front of the engine and the turbine at the rear. This means that the airflow has much less far to travel from intake, through the compressor and into the cylinders.

"This not only increases power but also reduces dramatically the amount of piping required for the engine, giving a significant advantage both in total weight and weight distribution in the car.

"On top of this, the design reduces lag in the turbo to almost nothing so that less power is required from the motor-generator unit attached to the turbo to spool it up to minimise lag before the drivers go on the throttle, so more of that power can be used directly at the rear wheels.

"Ferrari had the same idea, and their compressor is also detached from the turbine, but it is only about a third or so across the 'v' of the engine, rather than right the way across. Perhaps Ferrari were worried about being able to control the vibrations in the shaft connecting the turbine and compressor if it was as long as the engine.

"The Mercedes customer teams have not been able to take as much of a benefit from this advance as the factory team because they did not know about it as early as the works team.

"The interesting thing is that apparently the idea initially came from the chassis team, aware of the potential packaging, weight and weight distribution advantages of splitting the turbine and compressor. The engine team realised it was an enormous technical challenge and were not initially sure whether they could pull it off. But they have, and the results are spectacular."

I run f1livestrategy, an account tweeting real-time strategy updates during F1 weekends.
    Looks like the Teams , the FIA and Bernie have agreed to change the engines to make them louder, wonder if this will have an effect on the Mercedes performance?

Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

edited April 2014
    Looks like the Teams , the FIA and Bernie have agreed to change the engines to make them louder, wonder if this will have an effect on the Mercedes performance?

[/quote] # not working for me

That's not quite accurate- they're only looking into ways to make them louder and have no idea how it's going to be done at the present moment.
    edited April 2014
    yugin96 said:

[/quote] # not working for me

That's not quite accurate- they're only looking into ways to make them louder and have no idea how it's going to be done at the present moment.

Says they agreed in the article?
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

edited April 2014
    Yes, but they only agreed to investigate how to make the noise louder. No guarantee that it'll actually happen because it's not exactly a straightforward problem to solve without changing the pecking order.
  • onetwothreeonetwothree Member Team Principal
    If we're going to be stuck with these engines, we may as well adapt them to their real life applications. I'm no fan of the new sound (or lack thereof) but there isn't really any point of making them louder when the average consumer doesn't want a screaming engine in their Mazda or Ford. Plus, it gives opponents to GPs (like the Albert Park anarchists) one less reason to complain.
    ^^^^This comment will get me banned

#CauseBabyYoureAFireeeeeedreamTheWayYouTurnMeOn