Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Comments

• ImDyingYouIdiotImDyingYouIdiot Member, Drivers Team Principal
    edited February 17
    Rear is looking great, nose is flipping ugly. Livery still the best part.

Meh. A bit underwhelming.
    "I love ImDyingYouIdiot-senpai!" ♥‿♥ - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"ImDyingYouIdiot inspires us every day. Really, the only reason I get up every morning is to deliver him the perfect F1 experience." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"It is not unreasonable to assume that ImDyingYouIdiot, who is no doubt an extremely intelligent and attractive specimen of a lad, experiences the pleasures of intercourse on a fairly regular basis." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that
  • MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    I think all the concepts we've seen have made us have too higher expectations. I was expecting a sleeker nose, but still stuck with the stubbly bit. Rear looks sexi mexi though.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I do not work for Codemasters
  • HughesyHughesy Member Champion
    edited February 17
    Sauber are going to win the championship, if Leicester can win the Premier League then anythings possible :trollface:

As for the looks, anyone who got excited about the concepts and expected them to look like that are silly, the final thing never looks as good as the concept... 
    Post edited by Hughesy on
  • GoldenColtGoldenColt Member Team Principal
  • couger1981couger1981 Member Race Engineer
    Was expecting a wider car this year doesn't look much different from last years car.
    Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 2017
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• VetteIfanVetteIfan Member Race Engineer
    edited February 17
    Hughesy said:
    Sauber are going to win the championship, if Leicester can win the Premier League then anythings possible :trollface:

As for the looks, anyone who got excited about the concepts and expected them to look like that are silly, the final thing never looks as good as the concept... 
    While that's true, one of the main targets of this set of regulations was to have better looking cars that are more aggressive. To still see the stud nose there is dissapointing in that respect. 

Should probably wait until we see an actual car first anyway. Some parts of this render are very simplified and Williams clearly aren't giving too many tricks away. The side pods look very slim, but I think that's an illusion because the floor has been made wider on this year's cars. 
  • Chadwick8505Chadwick8505 Member Wheel Nut
    There really was nothing in the new rules that were gonna make these cars look any better. Things got wider; that's about it. The tires are the only thing that actually will effect the look. 2017 is just going to look like bulkier versions of 2016. 

Concept renders are made to look pretty. They aren't made within the rule book or made using an engineer's knowledge of what works and what doesn't. 
  • GoldenColtGoldenColt Member Team Principal
    Tbf, I thought the concept renders weren't that good-looking in the first place. Especially these Sean Bull designs. Nothing compares to the 2007/2008 cars imho, the most beautiful F1 cars of all time.

edited February 18
    You thought the 07/08 cars were the most beautiful cars ever? Eww..... 

I liked the front wings, but that was it. 
  • JiggyJiggy Member Co-Driver
    Agree with Colt. The overall shapes of the cars were good looking, the BMW was the peak of that grid.
    No I don't agree with him, it's a team sport. 
  • MexicolaMexicola Member Race Engineer
    "I don't want to see my teammate's data"

right sonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
  • JiggyJiggy Member Co-Driver
    "If I can't do it on my own then I'm not good enough and I don't deserve to be there. And there are some drivers that don't."

HAMILTON LAYING THE SMACKETH DOWN ON ALL THEIR CANDY ASSES

No, but seriously, fundamentally, I agree with Hamilton. Find it out on your own. That engineers will share for the overall improvement, logical. But a driver being able to copy his team-mate's lines, kind of sounds like weak sauce imo. However, it saves time when ideally drivers can catch up on each other and keep leapfrogging each other, raising their level at a faster pace than they would, had they have done it all on their own. From a team's perspective, it's just more efficient and you don't lose time having to wait on both drivers catching speed when they're on their own. Think not having all the time in the world to test your cars like in the old days will only enhance that need to get up to speed quick, so that you can focus on other things. So I agree with Hamilton, but as long as it's not banned, I'd imagine there's no team willing to take Hamilton's approach in the development race.
  • Chadwick8505Chadwick8505 Member Wheel Nut
    This really illustrates my problem with Hamilton. It's only ever about him; he's got to be one of the most selfish drivers on the grid. The problem is all this says to Mercedes is "I'm not a team player, and I don't have to be because no one's as good as me." I just think that's a really ****-poor attitude for such an incredible driver.  

At the end of the day F1 is a team sport and it will also be a team sport. And as a driver in a team, your job is to maximize the team's success before your own. If that includes share setup advice, data, driving lines, or whatever than the team expect you to do it. The other side of that is with sharing the end product is completed quicker. Now both drivers in free practice can work on separate goals and try new parts at the same time; essentially doubling the work that can be accomplished in the session. If Hamilton is not willing to share that information or accept that information, he's dealing with half the deck. It's in his arrogance that he thinks there's nothing wrong with that and that he'll come out on top anyway; which he probably will because he is that good. It's just not a character trait I appreciate in a World Champion. 
    edited February 19
    I think Hamilton learnt early on from the best at being selfish, Alonso.... Most world champions in F1 or any sport are selfish & arrogant. 
  • RevolvingPrawnRevolvingPrawn Member Champion
    edited February 20
    It's pretty! Love the rear end packaging that's closest to the suspension, and the gold and blue at the front looks fantastic :)

• MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    I like it, the design of the car looks great, but not 100% sure on the livery to be perfectly honest. The white on the sidepod is a bit odd when it goes into the U shape. I could get used to it though.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I do not work for Codemasters
  • RevolvingPrawnRevolvingPrawn Member Champion
    MBKF1 said:
    I like it, the design of the car looks great, but not 100% sure on the livery to be perfectly honest. The white on the sidepod is a bit odd when it goes into the U shape. I could get used to it though.
    Maybe the white is like a placeholder till they can get some sponsor logo's one there? :p

If it isn't though then I wish they'd used either black or more of the gold on there.