Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Comments

• HughesyHughesy Member Champion
    They had a bad year or two, but in the corners over the last few years it's looked good.

So back along when Andrew Benson said McLaren going back to Mercedes was a done deal, he was talking out of his like I said when I called him out.
  • MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    With the exception of Hill leaving Williams in 1997, Andrew Benson has, on the whole, always been talking out of his ass.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating
  • ImDyingYouIdiotImDyingYouIdiot Member, Drivers Champion
    One way or the other, this clearly pits McLaren against teams like Red Bull. And I can't wait to see how well they do against them.

While I'm a Ferrari fan, I want to see McLaren do well, and I genuinely hope they can get out of that slump they've had for the past 5 seasons.
    "I love ImDyingYouIdiot-senpai!" ♥‿♥ - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"ImDyingYouIdiot inspires us every day. Really, the only reason I get up every morning is to deliver him the perfect F1 experience." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"It is not unreasonable to assume that ImDyingYouIdiot, who is no doubt an extremely intelligent and attractive specimen of a lad, experiences the pleasures of intercourse on a fairly regular basis." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that
  • DiRTKiNG808DiRTKiNG808 Member Pit Crew
    edited September 14
    I'm also a Ferrari fan but I hate seeing McLaren do this bad. I'm happy they are scrapping Honda. Their move to Renault should be a good one.

What I want the car ratings to be out of 10 for 2018 looks something like this.

Ferrari's Car 10/10 (Ferrari is the best)

Mercedes Car 9.9/10 (I want an almost equal battle between the top teams ;) )

RedBull's Car 9.8/10 (It would be cool to see more cars in the mix)

McLaren's Car 8/10 (McLaren should have been up there all along)

Renault's Car 8/10 (It would be cool for them to make a return to the battle at the front)
    I love racing. Going for the perfectly clean, well executed overtake is the best feeling. If I have to though, I might move you out of my way (no hard feelings).
  • JiggyJiggy Member Race Steward
    Well, I'm a Ferrari-fan too and I don't like to see McLaren do well.

I really don't care.

Either way, Toro Rosso is taking on Honda-engines in an official statement, McLaren switching to Renault in an official statement and the biggest news might be that Carlos Sainz is joining Renault for 2018, also official.

I'm slowly starting to worry about Toro Rosso, the Honda-deal + the use of paydriver Sean Gelael and now the departure of Carlos Sainz is making me think Red Bull might be a bit more serious than we thought when they threatened to leave F1 or at least sell one team. Leave no doubts about it, Red Bull diminishing their contributions to autosport and F1 would hurt this sport severely.

So Gasly and Kvyat next season then? Would be the worst Toro Rosso-line up since Speed and Liuzzi.
    edited September 26
    Formula 1 actually giving away something for free, hell has frozen over
    https://twitter.com/f1/status/912680285069828096

link to the race
    https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/9/FULL_RACE__The_2001_Malaysia_Grand_Prix.html
    Oh yes please, I’d love to see British racing green back in the sport.

https://twitter.com/autosport/status/913465450985656320
    That would be really cool. They should put the Austin Martin wings on the shark fin.
    I love racing. Going for the perfectly clean, well executed overtake is the best feeling. If I have to though, I might move you out of my way (no hard feelings).
    That looks ugly in combo with the red and yellow. I'm seeing several fan designs in the replies that look a lot better though. But in general, I love the Red Bull-livery, so I'd rather not see it go.
  • AMS97KRRAMS97KRR Member Petrol Head
    edited October 5
    He was still veering into the middle a little, it doesn't look as incriminating as the Grosjean footage though. He just doesn't seem to put the steering angle in it, Vettel would have had room if Stroll had put the angle in.

One could argue Vettel should have left more room, but I don't think he expected stroll to be drifting out, unaware of his position. 

Ah whatever, as long as it doesnt t impact the title battle, it is irrelevant.
    | 2016 CM Forum Predictor Game Champion! |
    | Manchester United |  Sebastian Vettel #5 | Kimi Raikkonen #7 |

Still Stroll's fault. He lets his car drift wide to the outside of the corner while not realising Vettel is passing him on the outside, which was already evident from Grosjean's onboard shot. He turns left, but the steering motion wasn't tight enough and he has a slight change in it making his car move to the outside more, which means he was moving away from the apex, while Vettel took a much tighter approach. It can be argued that Vettel took too much risk taking such a tight approach post-race, assuming Stroll won't do something unexpected, but it's still on Stroll to pay attention to his surroundings though.
    If you look at Grosjean's onboard you will see that Stroll was not leaving any room. He has a car and a half space on his left. Stroll was slightly hogging the track.
    edited October 5
    Jiggy said:
    Still Stroll's fault. He lets his car drift wide to the outside of the corner while not realising Vettel is passing him on the outside, which was already evident from Grosjean's onboard shot. He turns left, but the steering motion wasn't tight enough and he has a slight change in it making his car move to the outside more, which means he was moving away from the apex, while Vettel took a much tighter approach. It can be argued that Vettel took too much risk taking such a tight approach post-race, assuming Stroll won't do something unexpected, but it's still on Stroll to pay attention to his surroundings though.
    I agree it’s still his fault, but he didn’t actually turn into Vettel like the other video showed. It was just careless and lack of  spatial awareness after a long race.
    Post edited by Hughesy on
    Stewards definitely made the right decision in not penalising anyone. Just a weird unfortunate accident.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating
    edited October 9
    This is an interesting watch.
    https://youtu.be/tPr5khO86Eg

1: The drivers are all little snitches.

2: Hamilton said something that was actually funny.

3: Hamilton has a single friend, Stroll is definitely his best mate, which is why he’s the only one sat next to him :joy:
  • fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator
    Apparently Brendan Hartley is the top choice for Toro Rosso this weekend, with the potential to replace Kvyat full time next season. Buemi is the back up for this weekend.

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

Brendan Hartley, **** why?                     
    Brendon Hartley signing for Toro Rosso, 8 years after being dropped from them. That would be one hell of a story.

If it does happen, Hartley's got nothing to lose. He hasn't driven F1 machinery for a long time, so if Kvyat's faster than him, so be it. And if he's faster than Kvyat then he could legit have a crack at a full season next year!

Mad.
  • Chadwick8505Chadwick8505 Member Wheel Nut
    I think Hartley is a great choice to put in full time. He's been fantastic in WEC. At Petit Le Mans this year he did an amazing job. He really is a great talent in those cars. I think with the current F1 regulations, he'll have an easy time adjusting to the car. These car drive very similarly to the LMP1s and DPs. 

Buemi I think is only a suitable option for a one off in COTA. If Toro Rossi are seriously looking to at least scare Kyvat, I think Hartley is the way to go. For Hartley it's a no brainer. With Porsche withdrawing from WEC, it leaves IMSA, IndyCar, or F1 as top level series for a top level driver. He'll do well wherever imo.