Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Comments

• fIsince08fIsince08 Moderator
    AMS97KRR said:
    I really hope either Lotus improve or Grosjean leaves, because he deserves better. And does anyone else think Perez has actually benefited after leaving McLaren? Unexpected upgrade.
    Isn't Grosjean tied down to a long deal? And yeah, I think Perez has improved too (though Bahrain is his favourite track).

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

• AMS97KRRAMS97KRR Petrol Head
    fIsince08 said:
    AMS97KRR said:
    I really hope either Lotus improve or Grosjean leaves, because he deserves better. And does anyone else think Perez has actually benefited after leaving McLaren? Unexpected upgrade.
    Isn't Grosjean tied down to a long deal? And yeah, I think Perez has improved too (though Bahrain is his favourite track).
    Not sure about Grojeans deal, ideally I want Lotus to be back near the front but with their financial issues and Maldonado it might take a while, if they don't pull out first.

In terms of his ability, I'm not sure, but the Force India is quicker than the McLaren by the looks of it. Put it this way, after 4 races if there was a winners and losers list based on what has happened with teams and drivers, Perez and Force India would be winners.
    | 2016 CM Forum Predictor Game Champion! |
    | Manchester United |  Sebastian Vettel #5 | Kimi Raikkonen #7 |

• sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Champion
    edited April 2014
    yugin96 said:
    The real function of the new steering wheels:

Danger indeed keep an eye out for him because he's coming for you :p

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• In the short term, yes I think Perez has got the better deal. However Mclaren have great mechanical grip but a lack of downforce so I'd expect them to be strong in places like Monaco and Canada, and in the long run I'm sure Mclaren will bounce back, especially with Whitmarsh out and Ron in.
    Otherwise known as TomM_F1 and AquaF1.
  • yugin96yugin96 Co-Driver
    I think good will come of the new engine regulations, Mercedes have completely revolutionised the turbo, and I doubt it will be too long before we see split turbo-compressors in hot-hatches etc. and I bet the MGU-H technology will find it's way into supercars eventually.
    Does bring up one interesting question though, why hasn't anyone in the production car world ever come up with this idea? Surely someone must have thought of it in decades of turbocharged car production...
    I run f1livestrategy, an account tweeting real-time strategy updates during F1 weekends.
  • MBKF1MBKF1 Moderator
    As @JensonBottom said, McLaren will definitely improve, I expect them to achieve more podiums this year and score good points.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I do not work for Codemasters
  • I hope they improve, eventually. But it just seems like McLaren is a sinking ship, and the captain is going down with it.
  • yugin96 said:
    I think good will come of the new engine regulations, Mercedes have completely revolutionised the turbo, and I doubt it will be too long before we see split turbo-compressors in hot-hatches etc. and I bet the MGU-H technology will find it's way into supercars eventually.
    Does bring up one interesting question though, why hasn't anyone in the production car world ever come up with this idea? Surely someone must have thought of it in decades of turbocharged car production...
    I know what you mean, but hot long did it take to work out you could generate downforce by blowing the exhaust through the diffuser. We've have chassis' similar to the current ones since the 70's.
    Twitter @tommig1995

Hairpin Motosport Media - Formerly North West Rallying - Amateur motorsport media, rally orientated | Youtube | Twitter
  • fIsince08fIsince08 Moderator
    I hope they improve, eventually. But it just seems like McLaren is a sinking ship, and the captain is going down with it.
    This. Williams mark 2.

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

• fIsince08 said:
    I hope they improve, eventually. But it just seems like McLaren is a sinking ship, and the captain is going down with it.
    This. Williams mark 2.
    Exactly my thinking. Except Williams are looking a lot more competitive atm :p
    I'm sure McLaren will be winners again, but when? Could be next season, could be 5 seasons from now, but I don't expect to see any more podiums for them this year.
    edited April 2014
    McLaren need to get rid of Button in my opinion. He is a WDC and a decent driver, but he is not going to do what Alonso is doing. I think Ferrari will lose either Kimi or Alonso at the end of this year, so why does McLaren not tempt one of them to join them. There was something said of Ron Dennis wanting Alonso at McLaren again not too long back. 
    They have a good thing going on with Magnussen IMO, but I think it is time Button left, they need someone like Alonso to get back to the front I think. 

Or Hulkenberg, that'd be an awesome line up. Hulkenberg and Magnussen = Championships.

• fIsince08 said:
    This. Williams mark 2.
    Exactly my thinking. Except Williams are looking a lot more competitive atm :p
    I'm sure McLaren will be winners again, but when? Could be next season, could be 5 seasons from now, but I don't expect to see any more podiums for them this year.
    I think we may see McLaren improve too it's just a matter of time I could see them get the odd podium maybe this year but that's as good as they can hope for

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• Liam12dLiam12d Wheel Nut
    AMS97KRR said:
    McLaren need to get rid of Button in my opinion. He is a WDC and a decent driver, but he is not going to do what Alonso is doing. I think Ferrari will lose either Kimi or Alonso at the end of this year, so why does McLaren not tempt one of them to join them. There was something said of Ron Dennis wanting Alonso at McLaren again not too long back. 
    They have a good thing going on with Magnussen IMO, but I think it is time Button left, they need someone like Alonso to get back to the front I think. 

Or Hulkenberg, that'd be an awesome line up. Hulkenberg and Magnussen = Championships.
    Button ay doing bad though is he? He's currently doing better than his team-mate, I think, and he beat Perez last year. If Magnussen doesn't beat Button on merit this year, I don't see any reason to get rid of Button unless you are guaranteed to get some like Alonso back. 

The thing is where Button went out of Qualifying at China in Q2 he missed out by a tenth, if some guy like Hamilton was in that car you know the McLaren would go through.
    ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
    Com'n Lewis!!!
    R.I.P. Jules Bianchi 1989 - 2015 #KeepFightingMichael  

Thats what I mean, Magnussen is inexperienced, if he had a year under his belt I reckon he'd be atleast on par with Button. Alonso could give them the extra few tenths and they all count. 

Magnussen is one for the future which only leaves Button to go IMO, IF they can get Alonso. But only if they get Alonso or Raikkonen.

• Tbh, I don't see Kimi or Fernando going back to McLaren any time soon. They seem to be getting along fine together and their car is currently better than the McLaren, plus they both have multi-year deals with Ferrari, so personally I'm not expecting their line up to change for at least another 2 seasons.
  • MBKF1MBKF1 Moderator
    It must be the time for a 2015 Driver line up prediction! 4 races into the 2014 season...

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel, Daniel Ricciardo
    Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg
    Ferrari: Fernando Alonso, Kimi Raikkonen
    Lotus: Romain Grosjean, Pastor Maldonado
    McLaren: Kevin Magnussen, Stoffel Vandoorne
    Force India: Nico Hulkenberg, Sergio Perez 
    Sauber: Esteban Gutierrez, Sergey Sirotkin
    Toro Rosso: Daniil Kvyat, Carlos Sainz Jr
    Williams: Valtteri Bottas, Felipe Massa
    Caterham: Marcus Ericsson, Will Stevens
    Marussia: Jules Bianchi, Max Chilton
    Haas: Alexander Rossi, really have no idea
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I do not work for Codemasters
  • Liam12dLiam12d Wheel Nut
    When does Kimi's contract run out, 2015 or 2016? I thought it was end of next season. 

Anyway I've just been wondering after this discussion, when do you guys think Button will retire? I'm not sure. He could potentially after this season if Ron kicks him out as there isn't anywhere for him go really. I think its more likely 2015, unless something miraculous happens and he wins the WDC. The thing is Jenson doesn't look like he wants to leave just yet and he hasn't gave any hints to either. 
    ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
    Com'n Lewis!!!
    R.I.P. Jules Bianchi 1989 - 2015 #KeepFightingMichael  

• JensonBottomJensonBottom Pit Crew
    edited April 2014
    He'll retire and go to DTM within the next 3 seasons, if not at the end of 2015. Ron Dennis is a clever guy and he'll know partnering a rookie (Stoffel Vandoorne) and a driver only in his second season will not be ideal. Moreover Alonso repeatably said Ferrari would be the last car he drove in (of course he may change his mind but he was rather defiant previously) and I can't see any other replacements unless Vettel is getting his ass kicked by Ricciardo and wants to move :P.
    Otherwise known as TomM_F1 and AquaF1.
    edited April 2014
    Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel, Daniel Ricciardo
    Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg
    Ferrari: Fernando Alonso, Kimi Raikkonen
    Lotus: Romain Grosjean, Pastor Maldonado
    McLaren: Kevin Magnussen, Jenson Button
    Force India: Nico Hulkenberg, Sergio Perez 
    Sauber: Esteban Gutierrez, Sergey Sirotkin
    Toro Rosso: Daniil Kvyat, Felix Da Costa
    Williams: Valtteri Bottas, Felipe Massa
    Caterham: Marcus Ericsson, Kamui Kobayashi
    Marussia: Jules Bianchi, Max Chilton
    Haas: Alexander Rossi, Adrian Sutil

That is what I think. I don't think there will be many changes to be honest. I think Haas will pick up Rossi and Sutil. I don't know if Sutil would go there or if there is even a chance of it, but you never know.
    What engine will Haas use? I'll say Honda or Ferrari - just a shot in the dark but I can't see what else they'd use.