Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Dirt Rallycross First two levels Renault Clio s1600 afwully slow grid starts

I have persevered to get my car fully maxed out in terms of mods in the hope that it would let me match the take off speeds of the AI, but that sadly still isn't the case.  I have tweaked the gear changes and noticed a slight improvement, but nothing to get the flags out about.  I have made the final once haha, and always qualify for the semi's.  Does anyone have any advice regarding car setup.  I cant understand how the car can be so slow of fthe grid compared to the AI.  All suggestions welcome, yes my driving is improving at cornering etc.

Comments

• FopaUKFopaUK Member New Car Smell
    Update: Now just came 3rd in the final and still needed 5 points for promotion, unbelievable.
  • DidzisDidzis Member Race Engineer
    Are you using automatic or manual launch control? 
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | MSI HD7870 OC | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT

DiRT2 | DiRT3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | GRID | GRID2 | GRID Autosport
  • RallycameramanRallycameraman Member Champion
    Why is everyone making such a big deal about losing a little time off the starts to the AI?

I lose time too, but I just over take them in the corners and then i'm away from them.
    Check out my YouTube channel - youtube.com/user/lukeharvey2006

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rallycameraman/
    Didzis said:
    Auto launch control on
    Tracton Control  5
    stability 3
    Why is everyone making such a big deal about losing a little time off the starts to the AI?

I lose time too, but I just over take them in the corners and then i'm away from them.
    Because it seems incredibly unrealistic for starters.  Thanks for your thoughtful and well considered input.
    Turning auto launch off has helped considerably, thanks for the suggestion.
  • KK78KK78 Member Unleaded
    I've looked for advice on this everywhere so thanks for posting. I'm having similar troubles with RallyCross starts, each time I'm left standing and even using the manual launch control the competitors always get off quicker, a lot quicker.

Anyone have any other tips? What should my revs be at? Do you need to release on the 1 or immediately after it? (of the 3, 2 1..) Slowly build up the revs until the 1 or rev the hell out of it before launch. Seems kinda strange that if auto launch is in the game it penalises the player so much  :/

And yes I'm a noob before anyone so kindly points that out :)

• DidzisDidzis Member Race Engineer
    edited April 2016
    FopaUK said:
    Didzis said:
    Auto launch control on
    Tracton Control  5
    stability 3
    Turning off traction and stability controls also might help. TC just limits your accelerator input, to prevent wheelspin. Since it limits acceleration, obviously it slows you down. 

I usually drive with all the assists off. I once tried a rally stage with all the assists on, to compare. I was 10-15 seconds slower with the assists on, and that was on a sprint stage, and also the assists kinda iterfere with your driving. At least for me they're more of a hindrance than help
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | MSI HD7870 OC | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT

DiRT2 | DiRT3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | GRID | GRID2 | GRID Autosport
  • Flash333Flash333 Member New Car Smell
    I also think that the 1600 rallycars are way too slow at the start. The AI in the new rallycross cars are too hard to beat. Easy isnt easy enough.
  • RallycameramanRallycameraman Member Champion
    Who cares if you have a slightly slower start. It's not a drag race. 
    Check out my YouTube channel - youtube.com/user/lukeharvey2006

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rallycameraman/
    Yeah that would be great if it was a 'slightly' slower start but it more akin to been left in the dust but thanks for your help.
  • SlipsGTASlipsGTA Member New Car Smell
    edited April 2016
    Don't know why they made rallycross like this. Eks. I'm first, get pushed out and the 3 other cars continue, close close together like nothing happends. And every push at my car is catastrofal, but no push affects the bot cars, i'm the only one get damage. I don't think there has been a real rallycross driver involved in this makings. Boring.
    I agree it will get better as i get better, but that doesn't explain why the bot cars can continue like nothing happends.
    That's my issue, in a 4 lap race a poor start means you are behind, well behind- catching them is tough enough but any contact often see's me left worse off as the Ai cars seem immune most of the time from the affects of contact.

I'm sure we will all get better but the question here is how to get a fast start like the Ai does.
  • PorkhammerPorkhammer Member Champion
    KK78 said:
    I'm sure we will all get better but the question here is how to get a fast start like the Ai does.
    Upgrade your car, improve throttle control at launch.

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."

-Juan Manuel Fangio

Cheers Pork Hammer, when you say improve throttle control what do you mean? Sorry if I sound stupid but is it about keeping the revs just below or on the redline or should I be thrashing max revs? I've tried to listen to the other cars but they seem to vary in what they are doing. I also tried usual manual launch, revving the nuts off it and releasing at the end of the countdown but my Clio just immediately drops revs and crawls off.

Any guidance appreciated :)
  • APR193APR193 Member Pit Crew
    I too was having trouble getting the rallycross cars off the line so I didn't have to spend the whole race catching the AI back up.

I had a few pointers from people on this forum and although I have played barely at all with the S1600 class but for the Minis I'm starting in 2nd gear and anywhere between 4-7k rpm depending on what surface I'm not. For the World RX cars I'm starting in 4th gear at 7k rpm. Its then just a case of getting the timing right and managing the wheelspin as you get off the line (more difficult in the mini than the World RX car). In both those classes I'm now matching the AI and I'm not hoping for them to make a mistake so I can catch back up, I can fight right from turn 1.

Its possible to match/beat the AI to turn 1 but it takes a lot of trial and error with your gear, rev range and then throttle control off the line to be as good as them, which I think is how it should be.

APR193 said:
    I too was having trouble getting the rallycross cars off the line so I didn't have to spend the whole race catching the AI back up.

I had a few pointers from people on this forum and although I have played barely at all with the S1600 class but for the Minis I'm starting in 2nd gear and anywhere between 4-7k rpm depending on what surface I'm not. For the World RX cars I'm starting in 4th gear at 7k rpm. Its then just a case of getting the timing right and managing the wheelspin as you get off the line (more difficult in the mini than the World RX car). In both those classes I'm now matching the AI and I'm not hoping for them to make a mistake so I can catch back up, I can fight right from turn 1.

Its possible to match/beat the AI to turn 1 but it takes a lot of trial and error with your gear, rev range and then throttle control off the line to be as good as them, which I think is how it should be.

Good advice, cheers mate will try that :)
  • APR193APR193 Member Pit Crew
    KK78 said:
    APR193 said:

Good advice, cheers mate will try that :)
    Like I said I have barely touched the S16000 class so sorry I couldn't give you exact gears/revs etc for those cars but hopefully tinkering around with things you'll find the right combo :)
  • SlipsGTASlipsGTA Member New Car Smell
    I have win races even when i don't take the start. It's just brake slower into corners and you have them. But why the contact between cars only affects my car is a pretty much joke.

• DeathMetalRacerDeathMetalRacer Member New Car Smell
    It's all about throttle control. A split second after launch I feather the throttle a bit then hammer down. I can actually beat some AI off the line now.