Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Community Rally School -Having questions bout driving techniques, game features, setups...? Go here!

SkyRexSkyRex Member Race Steward

Community Rally School

Every day there are new threads made for simple questions, for complaints about the game being to hard, for setup requests........ 
For all of this, simply go here and ask what you want to know. Will keep the forum more organized and also helps other people with the same questions to find the answers faster. 
This is especially for all the fresh new console players. No elitism bashing here, I own a PS4 myself and know the reasons people have consoles over PCs. And since DR is the same on all platforms this distinguishment shouldn't be made at all in this forum IMO. 

The Community can give qualitative answers to almost anything:

Some say DR is to hard, but for different reasons.
There are some that find the effort to achieve something tedious and no fun. People that come home after a stressful day at work and just want to relax and have some nice entertainment in the form of games. Emphasis is here on relax and entertain, which means you don't want to be stressfully challenged or put hundreds of hours into something to get a small sense of nice entertainment. Which is fine, this opinions are totally understandable. But I'm afraid to tell you, that Dirt Rally wasn't aimed at you then. It's like Dark Souls or Kerbal Space Program or Assetto Corsa, all these games demand a lot from their players, be it skill and practise or lots of time learning basic things.
For nice evening entertainment look more at Dirt Showdown, Dirt 3, NFS 2015, Just Cause 3, CoD/BF/ etc.

Then there are those who generally like this type of game but still find it crazy hard, because they think they should be way faster the way they drive. Maybe they are also new to Rallying.
Ask whatever you want about driving techniques, setups, pace notes. game mechanics etc. and the community will answer it for you. 

Some FAQ:

Too slow?
- Be aware that you need to upgrade your car in career mode. The AI always has fully upgraded cars, so don't wonder if you're slow if your car isn't yet fully upgraded

Not First?
- Winning is not the goal. The Podium is (Career). You will proceed to the next class as long as you finish in the top 3 ranks of a championship.

Handling weird, Forza drives different?
- You are driving offroad, which requires new learning of how a car behaves compared to tarmac.

How do upgrades work?
- Stage distance driven with a particular car multiplied by your mechanic bonuses.

How do you drive stage X ?
- Say which parts of certain stages you find difficult and we will guide you the fastest and the most reliable ways through it. 

Setup?
- We can give you advice on setting up your car and you find complete setups in the workshop. Be aware that setups are no 'Nitrous'! They highly depend on the driving style, which means what works for one can feel horrible to the next person.

Custom Championship?
- They are still random, to prevent people from gaining money by only driving their favorites. But a great way to upgrade your car before starting a career championship ;)

Driving technique?
- The new tutorial videos are quite good. If you have a driving skill question that isn't covered by them, just ask. I might even record a video to explain it to you if it's relevant to more than one. 

#Be polite and focused. No: "PC's best!" No :"Game is to damn hard!" No: "Nobody can be faster than me, all the others have to be cheatin' "
#Ask what you don't know yet and answer what you know for sure. 

Cheers 

Comments

• JZStudiosJZStudios Member Team Principal
    I'll honestly be amazed if people use this. Like the idea though.
  • BadD0gBadD0g Member Team Principal
    Sticky, please! Lots of people would find this very helpful if it was at the top.
    |  CPU: i7-4790K  |  RAM: 16GB  |  GPU: MSI 970  |  OS: Win7  |  [D0gfish] on Steam
    Dirty Forumers League - "Missile vs Bullet" 3rd place 
  • Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Champion
    edited April 2016

All questions & all answers pertaining to all possible topics (techniques, features, setups, etc.) all on just one endless mega-thread? That doesn't sound the least bit easy-to-navigate. "Got a question? Go dig through weeks/months/years of posts across hundreds of pages on the mega-thread & maybe you'll find an answer buried in there somewhere."

The backlash from some of the "regulars" lately against new posts/threads by new players really sours the "community."

New release = new users = new threads ...Deal with it.

Post edited by Operator1 on

*Disclaimer: my comments are only my own musings, not 'speaking for others' or 'stating opinions as facts.'
    ...They listen to our money more than our requests & complaints. They'll continue selling whatever we continue buying. What we put up with, we end up with. If we want better, we have to stop throwing money at worse. #NeverPreOrder

You understand how forums work right? I think I'll make you a video.
  • MrDeapMrDeap Member Wheel Nut
    JZStudios said:
    The PC community & especially you should start to not replying unless it is here. So like that people will understand it right away. Instead of snobbish trolling them without any proper answers.

Sabertooth X79|Core i7 3930K 4.3GHz|Zalman CNPS12X|Kingston HyperX 8X4GB CL9|Gigabytes 980Ti G1 6GB|14TB storage|x-fi titanium hd|Silent Pro M1000W|Corsair 800D
    edited April 2016
    MrDeap said:
    JZStudios said:
    The PC community & especially you should start to not replying unless it is here. So like that people will understand it right away. Instead of snobbish trolling them without any proper answers.
    What are you talking about? I'm making a video.
    JZStudios said:
    MrDeap said:
    JZStudios said:
    When it is concerned for newcomers... It's not hard, simply don't post unless it is here. It's up to us to make it tidy.

You made a tread complaining about, well you have to assume some responsibility too.
    Sabertooth X79|Core i7 3930K 4.3GHz|Zalman CNPS12X|Kingston HyperX 8X4GB CL9|Gigabytes 980Ti G1 6GB|14TB storage|x-fi titanium hd|Silent Pro M1000W|Corsair 800D
    MrDeap said:
    JZStudios said:
    MrDeap said:
    JZStudios said:
    When it is concerned for newcomers... It's not hard, simply don't post unless it is here. It's up to us to make it tidy.

You made a tread complaining about, well you have to assume some responsibility too.
    I'm sorry I don't really get what your trying to say. Are you telling Newcomers to post here? If so then I agree.
  • Chicane486Chicane486 Member Unleaded
    Either I missed it or it's overlooked in the ingame tutorials: the handbrake/e-brake.
    You may wanna do a tutorial about why, how and when to apply the handbrake.
    Don't think I need it myself, but someone else probably does.
    edited April 2016
    Either I missed it or it's overlooked in the ingame tutorials: the handbrake/e-brake.

The best time yo apply the handbrake is just before you turn. You shouldn't not see the car tire steer in the direction of the corner at all when doing it.

Start at 4:40

You should brake normally like you do & simply pull de handbrake before you turn(kind of hard to explain, that's why I linked a video above).

• DauntingConchDauntingConch Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    Would anyone be able to recommend some YouTubers who do driving tips, tutorials etc?  I'm new to the game but really enjoy it, I've come from playing the f1 game and obviously the two are polar apart in terms of driving style. 

I know there is a lot to learn, I'm only grasping the basics at the moment, so any help with driving techniques would be appreciated. 

Ive watched the tutorials in the game, it's a shame they aren't playable but a good starter I guess. 
  • SkyRexSkyRex Member Race Steward
    MrDeap said:

The best time yo apply the handbrake is just before you turn. You shouldn't not see the car tire steer in the direction of the corner at all when doing it.

Start at 4:40

You should brake normally like you do & simply pull de handbrake before you turn(kind of hard to explain, that's why I linked a video above).

Well, you should turn in slightly, to let the car slide in the direction you want. But only very slightly.
    Like : Brake Brake Brak-> very very beginning of wheel turning, very slightly, then immediatly handbrake -- release the handbrak again before you're even in the turn --> you should be sliding now:
    Now it's a matter of what drivetrain your driving, which impacts how you can steer the drift whith the throttle:
    Throttle applied--> FWD=straightens up / RWD = drift angle increases / AWD = drift radius increases

That way you get through the sharp corners.

Places to use handbrake turns: 
    every corner 90 degrees and more
    some corners on slippery surface (Monte Carlo ice up the mountain, the two and one corners, dependng on car)
    To safe your car from a dangerous situation , e.g. if you enterd a corner faster than good and want to keep your car on the road at any cost (cost = speed)

Places where normal braking is better: 
    All other situations

Cheers
    SkyRex
    Would anyone be able to recommend some YouTubers who do driving tips, tutorials etc?  I'm new to the game but really enjoy it, I've come from playing the f1 game and obviously the two are polar apart in terms of driving style. 

I know there is a lot to learn, I'm only grasping the basics at the moment, so any help with driving techniques would be appreciated. 

Ive watched the tutorials in the game, it's a shame they aren't playable but a good starter I guess. 
    Avoid popular youtubers since most of them can't drive properly & you won't learn anything to improve your skill. They're mostly for related news.

The best place to find proper youtubers is directly from the community which are mostly run which can give you a better idea how to properly play DiRT Rally.(choose whatever fit your choice)
    http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/6210/show-off-your-replays

On a side note:

The basic how to tackle the corners when you don't know the stage at all.

How to corner on slippery stage.

You have to be aggressive on the first turn in with the steering(don't turn, rotate the car) If it's not enough you pull the handbrake for more rotation. It's slower, but I'll explain the detail below.

The point of doing it is to gain speed for consecutive corners is by placing the car in the right position & angle for every ones of them. On gravel or snow the car is always understeering & by simply turn normally with it, it will do it too slow.

In Initial D(Japanese anime) takumi "the 4 wheel drift".
    It start at 9:03

Basically the front tire always understeer even while drifting. If you force to rotation to the other direction it won't understeer. Snapping the car while in drift motion to the other direction is the faster way, than simply turn on a slippery surface

Yes, the car should be sideway even before you hit the apex. Obviously, the apex is where you have to rotate to the other direction since the front tires will stop to understeer for a short moment by switching direction while being sideway.

When you play in high degree rotation, you tend to make the car simply turn. Quick steering is crucial in DiRT Rally.

• KakkelaKakkela Member Wheel Nut
    edited April 2016
    MrDeap said:

Avoid popular youtubers since most of them can't drive properly & you won't learn anything to improve your skill. They're mostly for related news.

The best place to find proper youtubers is directly from the community which are mostly run which can give you a better idea how to properly play DiRT Rally.(choose whatever fit your choice)
    http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/6210/show-off-your-replays

On a side note:

The basic how to tackle the corners when you don't know the stage at all.

How to corner on slippery stage.

You have to be aggressive on the first turn in with the steering(don't turn, rotate the car) If it's not enough you pull the handbrake for more rotation. It's slower, but I'll explain the detail below.

The point of doing it is to gain speed for consecutive corners is by placing the car in the right position & angle for every ones of them. On gravel or snow the car is always understeering & by simply turn normally with it, it will do it too slow.

In Initial D(Japanese anime) takumi "the 4 wheel drift".
    It start at 9:03

Basically the front tire always understeer even while drifting. If you force to rotation to the other direction it won't understeer. Snapping the car while in drift motion to the other direction is the faster way, than simply turn on a slippery surface

Yes, the car should be sideway even before you hit the apex. Obviously, the apex is where you have to rotate to the other direction since the front tires will stop to understeer for a short moment by switching direction while being sideway.

When you play in high degree rotation, you tend to make the car simply turn. Quick steering is crucial in DiRT Rally.

Forgot to say when you first used that Initial-D video, but it's not avaliable in every country. 
    T300 Alcantara + G27 pedals w/ brake mod

Intel i5-4670K @4,2GHz + 16GB + GTX 760, 2GB 

• SkyRexSkyRex Member Race Steward
    Is there any telemetry tool, which also shows when you apply the handbrake ? Then I would record a run or two up greece and monte to showcase handbrake turns
  • mostlybobbinsmostlybobbins Member New Car Smell
    edited April 2016
    As an Xbox One player with a controller, I'm currently at a loss with a couple of things. Firstly, use of the brake - firstly, I'll qualify that I'm literally just doing the first two Rallycross stages of Lydden Hill and Holjes without leaping in before I'm ready. In my head, I'm thinking I used be using the brake as little as possible to maintain momentum (apart from the Joker area, obviously.) So in my head I feel I should use the gears to maintain high revs but am I damaging the engine by doing so? My results are OK, but definitely not stellar. I can win Sweden, but not in the UK! (Yep, that bad!)

Secondly, with my setups (I have two that I'm trying out) I honestly can't tell the difference apart from altering the gear ratio. I can't 'feel' what's transferring from car to controller, if you follow. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to deviate from the norm so early on in the game or just go for it from the off. Without being a proper car nut, I will admit I don't understand what the many sliders are supposed to do in laymans terms. I read the description of each but it's not resonating! 
  • spothedogspothedog Member Unleaded
    I was never good with a handbrake, but I don't do to bad with DR. I still need to work on it sometimes I get it perfect but not always. I could never use a button for the handbrake so rarely ever used it thankfully I was able to rig up my gated shifter as a handbrake, it makes a huge difference. Thanks for all the tips.

Xbox GT RECAR DEEP5 
    Xbox one Thrustmaster TX, T3PA-PRO & TH8A on a homemade wooden frame
  • SkiddyMcCrashSkiddyMcCrash Member Champion
    A nice explanation of driving techniques with demonstrations showing both in and out of car so you can see exactly how, and why, it's done and what it looks like.

AMD FX-8350@4.5Ghz/EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2/16gb RAM/OS - Win 10/Turtle Beach X11/360pad                                 View - Front Bumper Cam/No Assists

• HabsoluteHabsolute Member Unleaded
    Whenever I apply the handbrake, it always seems as though I lose too much speed to keep the car to maintain a power slide all the way through. Last night, however, I discovered that once I feel my rear starts to come around, drop a gear and get on the throttle to keep it coming all the way around.
    PS4 - Logitech G29 - Pagnian Next Level Racing stand "Slow is fast"