Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Autosport xbox 360

hey guys. so i've noticed people would rather compete in racenet challenges instead of actual racing. like hundreds of people but the lobbies are always dead. come on people lets get these lobbies full. heaps of people running times within a second of each other, sometimes top 10 times less than a second. now imagine how good the racing would be!! come on you speed demons i wanna race in a full grid of human opponents. add me on xbox live, JooBooB420

Comments

• CapitalJJCapitalJJ Member New Car Smell
    edited May 2016
    I already added you, I've noticed the same thing. I just started doing RaceNet Challenges because the lobbies are always empty. I do enjoy doing the challenges to see how I compare with other players, but I was thinking the same thing, why aren't all these players playing online races? 

Anyone else who wants to race online, add me on Xbox Live - xxCapital Jsxx
  • JooB420JooB420 Member New Car Smell
    It's almost as if none of them are on these forums lol
  • Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Champion
    edited May 2016

Unfortunately, GRID AutoSport's public multi-player was almost dead-on-arrival due to some significant design flaws & technical issues. It was also known for being infested with trolling rammers.

I think the game's upgrade & repair cost system was a massive design flaw that made it much too grindy & way too easy for trolling wreckers to ruin all your efforts...

...To make your car(s) more competitive, upgrades were required. To buy upgrades, you needed to complete races, grinding through lower payouts for lower finishing positions since your not-yet-upgraded car was not yet competitive against upgraded cars...

...Your cars always took some kind of damage that ate out of your winnings - even if there was no contact at all, some calculated rate of wear-&-tear would erode your car & force you to pay for repairs/maintenance. Repair costs gradually increased over time, quickly outpacing the income rate of your race winnings & leaving you with fewer credits to buy upgrades...

...And after dumping all your winnings into upgrading your car, the game's rage-tastic AI cars and/or human rammers in "rented" cars (non-upgraded stock/standard cars for which they'd pay no repair costs) could easily wreck the stuffing out of you in the first turn of a race & stack up your repair costs even more on a car you've been slowly upgrading.

Having so many different disciplines/categories to race in with such a small player-base fragmented the public lobbies/playlists so much that it was hard to keep even a small handful of people in the same lobby for more than 1 or 2 races (let alone a handful of people who weren't rammers).

Lag, wonky penalty assessment, & an unreliable RaceNet service also stripped a lot of the competitiveness out of the game.

I enjoyed the motorsport-oriented atmosphere & the "sim-cade" feel of the physics/controls in GRID AutoSport, but too many poor design choices & technical defects quickly sucked the fun out of the game's actual racing for me.

If there was an active group of friendly folks to casually race with in private lobbies, I could be tempted to fire up my old Xbox 360 & join in if it fit with my timezone & availability.

*Disclaimer: my comments are only my own musings, not 
    'stating opinions as facts' or 'speaking for others.'
    #NeverPreOrder. It's outrageous that consumers have to BEG game companies to make games that reliably function properly. Consumers do NOT buy video games to waste their recreational time doing the unpaid work of paid professional testers. It's nonsense to imply game companies have no obligation to deliver games of consistently reliable functional quality just because "it's not easy & nothing is perfect & you can't please everybody." Company decision-makers listen to consumer spending, not consumer feedback; they don't care if it works properly as long as it SELLS, and every purchase is a vote of approval that helps fund more of the same. Money talks louder than requests & complaints. #VoteWithYourWallet

Operator1 said:
    If there was an active group of friendly folks to casually race with in private lobbies, I could be tempted to fire up my old Xbox 360 & join in if it fit with my timezone & availability.

Yeah I missed all of that, since I got the game a little over a year after release, and the xbox 360 online community was already dead. That does sound really frustrating, the trolling rammers, and design flaws, etc... I also love the simcade physics/controls, and since I haven't really played that many online races, I've never even noticed the technical defects. I did buy 5 or 6 cars and I use them whenever I can, and I haven't had any problems with repair costs or anything because I hardly ever get to use them. In my experience, the very few players that still play online, are not trolling rammers either. 
  • JooB420JooB420 Member New Car Smell
    yeah i seem to have missed all that because i've only just gotten online a couple of months ago. its dissapointing to hear, the grid series of games is one of my all time favourite racers, probably my favourite actually lol. i can understand the grindy side of it, the races i've had havent helped levelling up much but thats because i wasnt winning, because i was racing against upgraded cars when mine wasnt. i get the most xp from the racenet challenges. the AI doesnt seem that bad when ive played, just normal like in the career mode and i havent had any trouble with rammers either. the guys and/or girls i have raced with have been respectful clean racers, even giving places back when they spin me out or brake way to late and run up the backside of me. my winnings from racenet challenges still are more than repair costs as well and thats in my level 70 super tourer. i'd take a guess and say all the trolling rammers have gone to grid 2 now seeing as though i've completely given up trying to find clean races on there
    JooB420 said:
    yeah i seem to have missed all that because i've only just gotten online a couple of months ago. its dissapointing to hear, the grid series of games is one of my all time favourite racers, probably my favourite actually lol. i can understand the grindy side of it, the races i've had havent helped levelling up much but thats because i wasnt winning, because i was racing against upgraded cars when mine wasnt. i get the most xp from the racenet challenges. the AI doesnt seem that bad when ive played, just normal like in the career mode and i havent had any trouble with rammers either. the guys and/or girls i have raced with have been respectful clean racers, even giving places back when they spin me out or brake way to late and run up the backside of me. my winnings from racenet challenges still are more than repair costs as well and thats in my level 70 super tourer. i'd take a guess and say all the trolling rammers have gone to grid 2 now useeing as though i've completely given up trying to find clean races on there
    I played a little bit of the career mode in GRID 2, it's ok, but I think Autosport is a lot better. I haven't even tried online in the game because I just don't like the driving mechanics/physics/controls as much as Autosport. I played Dirt 3 online when it was free, it was fun at first, but it got old real fast, and I bet it's the same with GRID 2.