Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

TOCA 2 Touring Cars working on Windows 7

JackKeyJackKey Member Wheel Nut
Hi.

I found a tutorial that explains how to play TOCA 2 on Windows 7. I think most of you TOCA 2-Fans know this problem, that you are stuck on the loading screen.  It looks like TOCA 2 only takes an hour to load the track, and you only need an extra tool to speed up this process. Works great for me so far :).

English:
http://games.reveur.de/en/news/3578/

German:
http://games.reveur.de/de/news/3578/
Post edited by JackKey on

Comments

• VirtuaIceManVirtuaIceMan Member Race Steward
    There's a better way now... the rather amazing Zeus over at nGlide has fixed ToCA 2! You just need to swap a value in a hex editor. I used HxD (http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD) then selected the block to change and right-click > Fill Selection to change it.

Note: to install, open the CD-ROM and double-click SETUP.EXE, as the launcher doesn't seem to work any more.

Unpatched, original ToCA2 from CD-ROM:
    1. Open TC2.exe with hex editor
    2. Scroll down to offset 0x706ED (row 000706E0, column 0D) and change 7E to EB
    3. Save TC2.exe and play!

2. Scroll down to offset 0x7426D (row 00074260, column 0D) and change 7E to EB

It will then load quickly when you start a race, instead of taking over an hour!

• Rudolph1992Rudolph1992 Member New Car Smell
    does this also work for toca 3?

This is for Toca2, not Toca Race Driver 2. The Race Driver games use Starforce protection which you have to uninstall then replace the exe with a no CD version.
  • Rudolph1992Rudolph1992 Member New Car Smell
    This is for Toca2, not Toca Race Driver 2. The Race Driver games use Starforce protection which you have to uninstall then replace the exe with a no CD version.
    okay, but for toca race driver 3 from 2006, will this work to get it working on windows 7?
    I believe so, I did a more detailed guide before, but Codemasters removed it as it infringes on copyright. The main issue is getting the Race Driver games installed in the first place, as Starforce can break your system. The hex editor thing above is NOT for Race Driver games, but installing them (not restarting), removing Starforce (either by hunting down the files or using the official Starforce removal tool here http://www.star-force.com/support/drivers/), then replacing the exe, should let it run.

I'm not on Win7+ yet, but I will be aiming to get all the games working on that. Note: the Toca2 Touring Cars hex editor fix above IS for Win7+, as it loads fine on (my) XP (at least).
  • JackKeyJackKey Member Wheel Nut
    It's really nice to see the game fixed by the community. finally we are able to play all of codies racing games on win7 properly. even if we have to use "fixes" for their starforce-games.

thanks for sharing VirtuaIceMan :)
    Incidentally, if you want to play ToCA 2 Touring Cars (NOT RACE DRIVER 2!) at >60fps then use the ACT fix or DDRAW replacement from here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php?topic=99477&post=1202630

With it I can run the game at 144fps, sooooooo smooth! However the flags and clouds animate too quickly, but it's worth it!
    edited January 2015
    duplicate post, see above
    Post edited by VirtuaIceMan on
    edited January 2015
    see above
    Post edited by VirtuaIceMan on
  • brantnuttallbrantnuttall Member New Car Smell
    Can anyone help? I have tried everything listed above and can't get any of it to work on my PC with W7 running. As soon as I click on start race screen it just freezes and then I find task manager says it isn't running. The speed fix hasn't done anything via cheat engine. The hex editor reference above doesn't even exist on my files and, if it did, it denies permission to make any changes anyway. Please help!!!!!    
  • Arty1999Arty1999 Member New Car Smell
    There's a better way now... the rather amazing Zeus over at nGlide has fixed ToCA 2! You just need to swap a value in a hex editor. I used HxD (http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD) then selected the block to change and right-click > Fill Selection to change it.

Note: to install, open the CD-ROM and double-click SETUP.EXE, as the launcher doesn't seem to work any more.

It will then load quickly when you start a race, instead of taking over an hour!

Man, please, help me ! I have a computer with Win 10, but game doesn't want to install. I tryed to find rows row 000706E0 and 00074260 with HxD, but... I didn't find it ! Please, help me !!! 
  • P308RP308R Member Pit Crew
    Arty1999 said:

Man, please, help me ! I have a computer with Win 10, but game doesn't want to install. I tryed to find rows row 000706E0 and 00074260 with HxD, but... I didn't find it ! Please, help me !!! 

It works exactly the same as in described. The only thing I did to get it work was the following:

1. Copy CD to a windows folder of your choice. For example: c:\tocainstall
    2. In the Folder Game you will find the tc.exe file
    3. Follow steps:
       - Open TC2.exe with hex editor
       - Scroll down to offset 0x706ED (row 000706E0, column 0D) and change 7E to EB
    4. Save file with same name
    5. Run the setup.exe from the folder
    6. Play :)
    | TOCA | CMR | TOCA2 | CMR 2.0 | TOCA WTC | TOCA RACE DRIVER | DTM RACEDRIVER 2 | CMR 4 | DTM RACEDRIVER 3 | DIRT | GRID | F1 2010 | F1 2012 | GRID AS | DIRT RALLY | DIRT4 | 

FIREVS

• 694racer694racer Member New Car Smell
    I know this is an old post/topic now but I'm trying to get this game working on a Win 10 64 bit system. I have two original Toca 2 discs and have tried the hex editor and copied the CD to a folder as above. The game loads ok but I only have the option of a network game, even though I have the game disc. Can anyone help me get the game working. Thanks.
  • RICK11RICK11 Member New Car Smell

Hi!

I also know that this is an old post, but I just found my old TOCA2 disk and got curious if I could install it on a new computer. With the new patches I found here it works just fine.

I played this game alot from 1999 to 2001 even online with 56K modems against real fast guys as Mika and Franco plus many other.

I wonder if there is anyone who is playing this game online? It would be fun to see if the old skills still works :-)

Greetings

Rick