Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DIRT Rally is too difficult.

I have played many racing games but I have to say that this is too diffcult.
Is it possible that to have just an engine upgrade you have to do the same championship many and many times? And with the same car?
It's really frustrating...
It's clear how in the rally cross, the other cars are much powerful than your! It's almost impossible to finish at the third place... don't think to be second or first...
I understand that Codemaster have done a great job to make it realistic, but at the end it's always a game.
I play with a joypad, maybe with a steering is easier... maybe...

Comments

• dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    practice play have fun.you wont be the best after a short time.it takes time and effort.then you get the reward of knowing you learned and earned it.
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    Have a little browse through the forum @fbracci: many new players (myself included!) have started the game in your position. Once you start putting more time in, unlocking upgrades and getting a feel for the cars you'll start winning!

It's not a racing game that you can jump into and dominate immediately: it is (in my opinion) an incredibly rewarding racing game that you'll enjoy exponentially the more time you put in to it.

(And I'm a joypad gamer as well!)

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• karik134karik134 Member New Car Smell
    edited June 2016
    Try to do clean stages with no crashing, spins etc, (half spins are ok and other small mistakes like stalling the engine and so on).
    Just drive so slow that you achieve those almost clean runs. Then you'll have good comparison times for the future runs with same class cars and you'll see how much you improve over time (when compare against friends-function will work again after stages you'll see your pb and compare against that). All those daily/weekly/monthly challenges you should drive in clean stage-mode, like 90% of your capacity.

Remove the hud split times that compare you against AI, those just mess your concentration. Don't try to compete against ai if your driving is not that good yet.
  • HabsoluteHabsolute Member Wheel Nut

It's not too hard. It's just different. Especially if you're used to playing circuit racers (i.e. Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, etc.) as those cars have ridiculous grip...on pavement.

Keep the old racing cliché in your head: "Slow is fast". Once you get into a groove and get a "feel" for how the car slides, you'll get more confident. Confidence is key for speed. @KingofCoins said it best..."don't race to win". Adopt those things and you'll be topping drivers in Master Class in no time.

PS4 - Logitech G29 - Pagnian Next Level Racing stand "Slow is fast"
  • RockefelluhRockefelluh Member New Car Smell
    Steering wheels don't make it more or less difficult. Play the game, learn the cars and tracks(rally cross). 
  • fbraccifbracci Member New Car Smell
    Thanks to all of you for the tips!
    I hope to improve soon  B)
  • SpoksterSpokster Member Pit Crew
    fbracci said:
    Thanks to all of you for the tips!
    I hope to improve soon  B)
    Don't aim to win from your competition, just improve your own driving, knowledge of the stages and cars, eventually you will find yourself being faster then how you drove when you first started, but as stated before, just enjoy the driving, it's not about winning, often enough there are stages where I end up being in 7th position, but as long as I am within the points, I'll still recieve engine upgrades and points for the championship. I suggest driving a lot in Custom Events, you have all the cars to your disposal and all the stages, practice a lot and you will be better.
    "Assumption is the mother of all mistakes"
    ~Mr. Eugene Lewis Fordsworthe
  • SkiddyMcCrashSkiddyMcCrash Member Champion
    It's a shift in focus from traditional racing games. In a traditional racer the aim is to win, obviously. In DiRT Rally, the aim is to constantly improve your driving skills. Believe it or not the AI times were toned down for the official release.

It's frustrating at first, it works backwards to every other racing game out there. You are basically grinding for upgrades, and engineers at the beginning. Which is as realistic as real world rallying as you can get in a game, no one enters rallying with a works car and team. Even real top class drivers have to struggle when they make the change, ask Robert Kubica, Kimi Räikkönen or Valentino Rossi.

As long as you realise that and change your expectations within the game you will improve, and as your driving skills and team improve you'll finally start to win, and hopefully you'll discover the joy of knowing that you won because you earned it, instead of having it handed to you.

Stick with it, it's fun once you get over the idea that you have to win all the time.
    AMD [email protected]/EVGA GTX 1060 FTW/16gb RAM/OS - Win 10/Turtle Beach X11/360pad                                 View - Front Bumper Cam/No Assists

• EvilsmurfEvilsmurf Member Team Principal

True story,

I've won events without ever winning a single stage. :)

Twitch: twitch.tv/evilsmurf76

Twitter: Evilsmurf76

Steam: Evilsmurf

PSN: evilsmurf1976

• RyuMakkuroRyuMakkuro Member Champion
    Evilsmurf said:
    I've won events without ever winning a single stage. :)
    Sir Stirling Moss would be envious of you xD

"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna
  • RookieOneRookieOne Member Pit Crew
    @fbracci do you think that in real life racing is simpler than that ?

It's actually as hard, if not harder
  • danielofifidanielofifi Member Unleaded
    Also, there have been more difficult rally games in the past: Richard Burn Rally or (arguably) WRC Rally Evolved. And guess what? They are considered by many to be the best of the kind. A good rally game must be difficut.
  • CRobby22CRobby22 Member New Car Smell
    The OP brings up Rally Cross and I have noticed that I can win some races, but its after getting beat badly off the line.  Any tips out there for 1st and 2nd gear to help out with starts.  My overall pace is in line with the AI, but if im back 2 seconds right away its a bit of a struggle.
  • DidzisDidzis Member Team Principal
    CRobby22 said:
    The OP brings up Rally Cross and I have noticed that I can win some races, but its after getting beat badly off the line.  Any tips out there for 1st and 2nd gear to help out with starts.  My overall pace is in line with the AI, but if im back 2 seconds right away its a bit of a struggle.
    With which class that is? Do you have all the upgrades installed and are you using manual launch control?
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | Gigabyte GTX650Ti Boost | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT + Logitech Formula Force EX

DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | DiRT 4 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport | F1 2015
  • dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    CRobby22 said:
    clean driving and lines and default set up is fine.
  • SpoksterSpokster Member Pit Crew
    edited June 2016
    CRobby22 said:
    If you are driving the modern day rally cross cars with 600hp, start in 3rd gear, skip 1st and 2nd gear.
    "Assumption is the mother of all mistakes"
    ~Mr. Eugene Lewis Fordsworthe
  • FloatingGrassFloatingGrass Member Pit Crew
    I'll tell you what's hard: Richard Burns Rally. That **** is insane. Ever since my GPU died and I haven't been able to play DR I've vented on RBR and I can't go round corners what with all the damn "easy" and "fast" pacenotes. Here's to improving!
    Expect none and 10/10 times you won't be disappointed.
  • WestHam66WestHam66 Member Wheel Nut
    edited June 2016
    I was the same when I got the game. I changed sensitivity settings and that helped, but what improved my times the most was my own change in mindset.

I would try to get the most from the car but that just resulted in crashes. I learned that AI drivers would hit problems or retire from an event altogether, but I was able to keep going. In one event I recently completed, I finished stages between 4th and 8th, but was 3rd overall.

Don't push too hard unless you're comfortable with the car and use minimal steering inputs when not under heavy braking