Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRT Rally (v1.11 and previous versions) + Xeon CPU

JohnnyCapoJohnnyCapo Member New Car Smell

I have an Intel Xeon E5 2696 v4 (22 physical cores + 22 logical cores), 128GB of RAM and nVidia Titan-X (latest drivers) - Windows 10 (64bit). The game (DiRT Rally, v1.11) crash at the splash screen.

With an Intel Xeon E5 2690 v2 and 64GB of RAM the game works perfectly - same video card, drivers and OS.

I have tried using "affinity" commands and forcing all the "workerMap*Core.xml" but nothing, the game won't start.

Please, if possible, give me a functioning "workerMapXCore.xml" or a fix, I found it very annoying, after having bought the game (3 months ago) and upgraded the WorkStation, not be able to play the game.

Thanks for your attention.

Post edited by JohnnyCapo on

Comments

• JohnnyCapoJohnnyCapo Member New Car Smell
    The Codemasters Technical Support (or the game programmers) read this forum or not?
    I hope to receive an answer ASAP.
    Thanks.
  • CMMcBabeCMMcBabe Member, Codemasters Co-Driver
    If you disable some of the cores, does the game get past the splash screen?
    My mobo doesn't support disabling cores in the BIOS, and in Windows (apart using the "affinity" command) I don't have any utility to disable (some) cores.
    Can you use msconfig to change the boot options?  The advanced section in Boot allows you to change the amount of cores used on boot.

Yes you're right, I've forgot of this OS utility, I used it in the old days... For sure I'll check it very soon... Even if this will work isn't a good workaround... But always better than nothing...

Would you be able to send both of the hardware settings files to dirtgame@codemasters.com, please?  The files are in Documents\My Games\DiRT Rally\hardwaresettings
    I use the WorkStation mainly on the weekend, I'll do the test and send to "dirtgame@codemasters.com" the hardware logs.
  • BozillaNZBozillaNZ Member New Car Smell
    Same thing happened to me.

After updating the game to 1.1 it won't start any more, a brief flash of splash screen then crash.

I have 2-way Xeon E5-2670 system, which has 16 cores and 32 threads. If I manually limit the CPU core count in Windows start settings to 8 then the game will run properly. Please devs look at the issue and fix it since I haven't been able to play it for more than 2 months!
    edited June 2016
    With only 8 cores enabled (from 22) the games works perfectly with all the cores active (as I want to use my WorkStation) the game won't start at all and don't create any 'hardwaresettings\*.*' file/log.

"
    Would you be able to send both of the hardware settings files to dirtgame@codemasters.com, please?  The files are in Documents\My Games\DiRT Rally\hardwaresettings
    "

I hope the programmers at Codemasters could fix the problem in future release.

If you need something else (infos, config) ask me.

P.S.: could be useful the "\hardwaresettings\*.*" with only 8 cores active? I've to send it to "dirtgame@codemasters.com" or not?
    Post edited by JohnnyCapo on
  • JeffreyLingJeffreyLing Member New Car Smell
    i have dual E5-2697 v3 xeons and the last time I was able to even play the game was still in early release.   How do I limit the core counts?  I know how to set affinity in taskmanager but that has never worked
    With only 8 cores enabled (from 22) the games works perfectly with all the cores active (as I want to use my WorkStation) the game won't start at all and don't create any 'hardwaresettings\*.*' file/log.

"
    "

I hope the programmers at Codemasters could fix the problem in future release.

If you need something else (infos, config) ask me.

P.S.: could be useful the "\hardwaresettings\*.*" with only 8 cores active? I've to send it to "dirtgame@codemasters.com" or not?
    If you send both I can get someone to take a look at why this happens.
    i have dual E5-2697 v3 xeons and the last time I was able to even play the game was still in early release.   How do I limit the core counts?  I know how to set affinity in taskmanager but that has never worked
    Run (Windows Key + R)  MSConfig.  Select Boot, Advanced Options and there is a way to limit the processors there. 
    Oh my god, thank you CMMcBabe!  I set the cores down to 8 as previously mentioned and the game started,  it crashed on me a few times after finishing a sector, but the last few times no problems.  Now I just hope it can be patched to work without having to limit my core count and rebooting.
    Would you guys also be able to send your dxdiag to dirtgame@codemasters.com, please?
    I've emailed my dxdiag and also the hardware_settings files. Hopefully they help!
    v1.2 is out, does it fix this simple but annoying issue?!
    No changes in 1.2 to deal with processors that have that many physical cores.
    Still crashing! I guess time to delete the game from my system and never buy anything from CodeMasters again!
  • ewfegageewfegage Member New Car Smell
    It's a scandal that Dirt 4 has the kind of problem and Codemasters just doesn't give a damn about it!
  • versediversedi Member Champion
    ewfegage said:
    It's a scandal that Dirt 4 has the kind of problem and Codemasters just doesn't give a damn about it!
    Are you having problem with DiRT4? It's DiRT Rally thread.... Please report bugs related to current version of D4 in:
    http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/52896/day-one-dirt-4-v1-02-found-a-bug-post-it-here#latest
  • HellrazorHellrazor Member New Car Smell
    I also have this issue with the new Ryzen 1800x. The game will launch with only 8 cores enabled, once I put it up to 16 threads, it fails to launch. This is a very annoying issue. I basically won't play DiRT 4 until this is fixed as it's a ridculous process to diable / re-enable cores on a PC for one badly programmed game.. It's the only game I have this issue with, out of 500 something games owned.