Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Audio Troubleshooting - Official

issueskidissueskid Member, Codemasters Unleaded
Having problems with your audio? Troubleshoot here.

Audio
All audio stutters and / or the sound seems sped up (PC only)
This is an issue with Realtek and Creative sound cards.
This is something we’re investigating: to get the sound to behave, you need to change the sample rate to 48 kHz or 48,000 Hz. You can do this within your audio driver.
This affects all audio in game including audio embedded within videos.
Update 25/08/16 - This is now fixed and will be in a future patch.

AI Vehicles are stuttering (All platforms)
A known issue.
This is fixed and will be in a future patch.

I can’t hear any speech (All platforms)
This is generally a result of setting your output options on your platform of choice to an output that your system does not support.
5.1 and 7.1 settings should only be used if you have a surround sound system.
This option should be set on the PC, PS4 and Xbox One systems, not in game.
Using the automatic in-game settings will default to whatever output your system is set to.

I can’t hear the race engineer on my Sony wireless headset (PS4)
To adjust the level of the Race Engineer, you need to locate the Sound/Chat buttons/slider on the side of the headset.
To hear more of the Race Engineer you press towards ‘Chat’, to hear more of the F1 game sound, you press towards ‘Sound’.

I have tinnitus and the high pitched whine is hurting, what can I do? (All platforms)
We will be including an accessibility option in the audio options that can toggle these elements on and off.

I hear a “wall of sound” when driving past the pit lane on all tracks (All platforms)
A known issue.

The race engineer is too quiet when using the pad speaker / headset (PS4)
Both the headset and pad speaker have independent volume controls native to the PS4.
These can be adjusted within the dashboard – not in game.

Voice Commands
I’m having issues getting voice commands to work (Xbox One)
Voice chat is only supported via Kinect hardware, Cortana is currently not supported – this is a Microsoft restriction.

I’m having issues getting voice commands to work (PC)
Make sure the headset mic is marked as “Default” in the “Recording” section of the Audio device section in the Control Panel.
Check the volume level in the properties of the recording device – should be at 100%
Make sure no other program is running that uses the microphone input – Teamspeak etc.

How can I see a list of all voice commands? (All platforms)
Press the “talk” button, this is context sensitive so you’ll see a list of all valid commands.
At times there can be more than one page of commands which can be flipped through.
Post edited by issueskid on
F1, Lead Audio Designer

Comments

• Ho3n3rHo3n3r Member Pit Crew
    When my engineer talks to me, my car sound volume goes really quiet, which can be quite distracting when entering or exiting a corner.

Is this related to any of the above?
  • WorntoathreadWorntoathread Member, Drivers Team Principal
    edited August 2016
    Ho3n3r said:
    When my engineer talks to me, my car sound volume goes really quiet, which can be quite distracting when entering or exiting a corner.

I think that's intentional, but I don't like the effect either. @issueskid could this be an on/off option? It's a bit distracting when the engine volume goes down, it's making it hard to hear the car sometimes, especially with the engineer output set to headset or DS4 I feel it's a bit unnecessary.
  • issueskidissueskid Member, Codemasters Unleaded
    edited August 2016
    Ho3n3r said:

I think that's intentional, but I don't like the effect either. @issueskid could this be an on/off option? It's a bit distracting when the engine volume goes down, it's making it hard to hear the car sometimes, especially with the engineer output set to headset or DS4 I feel it's a bit unnecessary.
    No sorry, this is a ducking system we use to ensure any important information cuts through the mix.
    We could perhaps make it more subtle next year but we won't be removing it.

This shouldn't happen when the engineer is routed to your pad or headset, it should only occur when the engineer is sent through the same output as the rest of the game mix e.g. your speakers. Please let me know if this isn't behaving as expected.
    F1, Lead Audio Designer
  • heideldrumheideldrum Member, Drivers Wheel Nut
    Thanks @issueskid and the whole cm team! The game is great. And seeing all these above mentioned improvements within the next patches only regarding to audio issues is a great sign, that cm really cares about their customers and about making a great game even better! You really nailed it this time! 
    MSI GT62VR 7RE - GTX 1070   Logitech G29
  • WorntoathreadWorntoathread Member, Drivers Team Principal
    edited August 2016
    Thank you, that makes sense when it's the same audio output. I've used the TV output for the engineer most of the time after release so I think it should be functioning properly then, I probably just remembered it from the beta if it wasn't working like that with the older build.
  • RAZINSKIRAZINSKI Member New Car Smell
    I have an issue which is literally game breaking for me. I currently have a static sound when the vehicle is idle. The static sound changes volume depending on which camera i choose. The nose being the quietest and the cockpit being the loudest. I will be making a video of it shortly. Its on every track and car. I hope you are aware of the issue at least. Im not going to ramble if the team is aware of the bug.
    RAZINSKI said:
    I have an issue which is literally game breaking for me. I currently have a static sound when the vehicle is idle. The static sound changes volume depending on which camera i choose. The nose being the quietest and the cockpit being the loudest. I will be making a video of it shortly. Its on every track and car. I hope you are aware of the issue at least. Im not going to ramble if the team is aware of the bug.
    Hi Razinski, I'm not familiar with this issue.
    Please do grab a video then. If you start a new thread in the technical forum with a link to your upload we'll make sure we take a look.
    F1, Lead Audio Designer
    Thanks @issueskid and the whole cm team! The game is great. And seeing all these above mentioned improvements within the next patches only regarding to audio issues is a great sign, that cm really cares about their customers and about making a great game even better! You really nailed it this time! 
    Thanks for the positive comments.
    As I'm sure you're aware each iteration of F1 takes us a year of our lives and we're all passionate about making the audio as good as possible. We do read forum feedback, we do watch the youtube videos and read the comments and we do frequent many games media sites. So thanks for all feedback both positive and negative (as long as its constructive :)), its what helps us improve.
    F1, Lead Audio Designer
    issueskid said:
    Ho3n3r said:

No sorry, this is a ducking system we use to ensure any important information cuts through the mix.

This shouldn't happen when the engineer is routed to your pad or headset, it should only occur when the engineer is sent through the same output as the rest of the game mix e.g. your speakers. Please let me know if this isn't behaving as expected.
    Please rethink it. It has an actual impact on driving performance. Either that, or force the engineer to only speak on the straights, or any places you'll be full throttle.
  • Racer4711Racer4711 Member, Drivers Wheel Nut
    I'm missing the issue with ambient sounds drowning down your own engine car sound.
    I like to hear "realistic sounds" for other cars around me (with volume control by the mixer) and not racing sounds from all over the track like sitting on the grandstands.
    Actualy this isn't working (for me on PS4) and further more really has a bad impact to the driving, as you can't manage your own revs.
  • mixmax83mixmax83 Member Unleaded
    edited August 2016
    @issueskid You are already aware of a bug with so many penalty Ai in qualifying ? I've already  a thread in the forum about it
    mixmax83 said:
    @issueskid You are already aware of a bug with so many penalty Ai in qualifying ? I've already  a thread in the forum about it
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.
    F1, Lead Audio Designer
    Sorry but I don't hear any audio issues here.
    Please describe what issues you're hearing.
    F1, Lead Audio Designer
  • mixmax83mixmax83 Member Unleaded
    edited August 2016
    @issueskid know it's not a sound problem, but I hope the same for an answer in this bug, since none of the staff in my discussion of codemasters has replied yet.
    thanks anyway
    Ho3n3r said:
    issueskid said:
    Ho3n3r said:

Please rethink it. It has an actual impact on driving performance. Either that, or force the engineer to only speak on the straights, or any places you'll be full throttle.
    Ducking is a feature we need to have in place in order for elements to cut through the mix. Here's some options to help you if you don't like it:
    • The engineer will only talk to you on straights, he will only ever talk to you on corners in emergencies or if you specifically ask him something. This is in place by default.
    • You can turn the engineer off or reduce the amount of information he gives to you in the audio options under "verbosity".
    • You can ensure speech is turned down and engines are turned up in the audio levels options.
    • If playing on console you can send the engineer to the headset or pad speaker (PS4), this will disable ducking through your default output e.g. speakers / TV.
    F1, Lead Audio Designer
    issueskid said:
    Ho3n3r said:
    issueskid said:
    Ho3n3r said:

Ducking is a feature we need to have in place in order for elements to cut through the mix. Here's some options to help you if you don't like it:
    • The engineer will only talk to you on straights, he will only ever talk to you on corners in emergencies or if you specifically ask him something. This is in place by default.
    • You can turn the engineer off or reduce the amount of information he gives to you in the audio options under "verbosity".
    • You can ensure speech is turned down and engines are turned up in the audio levels options.
    • If playing on console you can send the engineer to the headset or pad speaker (PS4), this will disable ducking through your default output e.g. speakers / TV.
    Thanks for the options, but I disagree with the part of him only speaking to you on the straights. He's told me multiple times "It's dry for now, but we'll let you know if the situation changes" on entries, apexes and exits of corners. I would not even have mentioned it if this wasn't the case.

Unfortunately all sound is done through headset only, being considerate to the rest of the house.

I will just set him to "Responses only". At least the voice recognition seems to be working well on PC, so I can speak to him if need be. It's not that important to know that the weather is clear every 5 minutes anyway.
    Ho3n3r said:
    Thanks for the options, but I disagree with the part of him only speaking to you on the straights. He's told me multiple times "It's dry for now, but we'll let you know if the situation changes" on entries, apexes and exits of corners. I would not even have mentioned it if this wasn't the case.

Unfortunately all sound is done through headset only, being considerate to the rest of the house.

I will just set him to "Responses only". At least the voice recognition seems to be working well on PC, so I can speak to him if need be. It's not that important to know that the weather is clear every 5 minutes anyway.
    Does this happen on particular tracks?
    Each track has its own rules for speech exclusion zones.
    We can look into this issue if he's talking to you on particular corners.
    F1, Lead Audio Designer
    edited August 2016
    issueskid said:
    Ho3n3r said:

Does this happen on particular tracks?
    Each track has its own rules for speech exclusion zones.
    We can look into this issue if he's talking to you on particular corners.

That'd be great. One I can distinctly remember is China's hairpin.
  • F1randokalbus22F1randokalbus22 Member, Drivers Race Steward
    @issuekid There's still that Audio blow out problem what we had in beta and when some -times downshifting(with Toro Rosso) can hear some weird sound like : Audio goes very silent and then goes back up.You're driving like with a broken gearbox,but in reality its fine