Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Thrustmaster T500 Inconsistency (ps4)

Hi,

I've got a Thrustmaster T500 with the F1 wheel attachment. I find that the wheel doesn't feel good with F1 2016, nor was it good F1 2015. With Project Cars and Gran Turismo 5, the wheel felt good and the force feedback felt real. In F1, the wheel feels loose and inconsistent even after playing around with force feedback settings. This leads me think that the issue is with F1 and not with the wheel. The handling model isn't good with the T500 in F1. Anyone else found this with the T500?

I'm considering buying a different wheel such as the T300 or a Logitech wheel. Anyone had any success with other wheels?#

Thanks in advance to any replies.

Comments

• Nickname85Nickname85 Member Unleaded
    Have you tried reconnecting the wheel again? I have found that if I switch between different games I need to unplug the wheel, start the game and then plug the wheel in again. 

If I don't do that I get some weird issues with the wheel.
  • GogettaGogetta Member New Car Smell
    Not playing any other games at the moment, so just booting the ps4, plugging in the wheel then booting F1 2016.

Just noticed something while playing. Down the straights the car is all over the place. It's weaving left and right without any wheel input. The wheel was repaired about a year ago, so maybe some gremlins coming back. Although this doesn't happen with other games. Very confusing.
  • NaznakNaznak Member New Car Smell
    Your not alone. I have a t500 with f1 wheel and my car floats or drifts from side to side like a boat.
  • Chilza381Chilza381 Member Wheel Nut
    edited September 2016
    I used to have a T300 which I found had rather weak and floaty FFB in F1 2015 whilst in other games like Project CARS it was really strong and detailed. My T300 died, so I ended up getting a G29 and it felt better in F1 2015 than the T300. The FFB of the G29 was stronger which was surprising seeing that the T300 is a more powerful wheel. Still though the FFB in F1 2015 was weaker than other games with the G29.

Now with F1 2016 the G29 feels amazing. The FFB is way stronger than in F1 2015 and you can really feel what the car is doing. I'm no longer running the FFB settings maxed out in F1 2016 like I was in F1 2015 because it is so much stronger.

I haven't had a chance to try a Thrustmaster wheel with F1 2016, but my experience in F1 2015 and your comments suggest that for some reason the Thurustmaster FFB just isn't that good with Codemasters'  F1 games despite the wheel's physical capabilities. 

So for F1 games the G29 is probably the better option, but in other games the T300/T500 are better simply because of the belt driven technology and more powerful FFB motors. The G29 is still solid in other games but doesn't have the same level of detail in the feeling that you get with a Thrustmaster wheel, and it is a little bit clunky due to its internal gear mechanisms.

Maybe Codemasters can work on getting the FFB of the Thrustmaster wheels to a level that other games have achieved. 
    Logitech G29, with no assists
    Playing on PS4
    edited September 2016
    Naznak said:
    Your not alone. I have a t500 with f1 wheel and my car floats or drifts from side to side like a boat.
    Has your wheel ever been repaired? Have you had to manually set the centre position?
    Chilza381 said:
    I used to have a T300 which I found had rather weak and floaty FFB in F1 2015 whilst in other games like Project CARS it was really strong and detailed. My T300 died, so I ended up getting a G29 and it felt better in F1 2015 than the T300. The FFB of the G29 was stronger which was surprising seeing that the T300 is a more powerful wheel. Still though the FFB in F1 2015 was weaker than other games with the G29.

Now with F1 2016 the G29 feels amazing. The FFB is way stronger than in F1 2015 and you can really feel what the car is doing. I'm no longer running the FFB settings maxed out in F1 2016 like I was in F1 2015 because it is so much stronger.

I haven't had a chance to try a Thrustmaster wheel with F1 2016, but my experience in F1 2015 and your comments suggest that for some reason the Thurustmaster FFB just isn't that good with Codemasters'  F1 games despite the wheel's physical capabilities. 

So for F1 games the G29 is probably the better option, but in other games the T300/T500 are better simply because of the belt driven technology and more powerful FFB motors. The G29 is still solid in other games but doesn't have the same level of detail in the feeling that you get with a Thrustmaster wheel, and it is a little bit clunky due to its internal gear mechanisms.

Maybe Codemasters can work on getting the FFB of the Thrustmaster wheels to a level that other games have achieved. 
    Thanks for the info. I've considered getting a G29 so this is good know that it works well with F1 2016. Such a shame the Thrustmaster wheels are useless with F1 games especially after spending £500! Would be great if there was somewhere where you could try out racing wheels or even a YouTube video doing a comparison on F1 2016.

Are the pedals any good with the G29? That's the only think that puts me off buying it.

• madwakmadwak Member Wheel Nut
    @Gogetta I'm very surprised that your T500 feels floaty as mine with the F1 rim on is excellent and much better than the T300 which I also have. I have also tried the G29 and wasn't impressed with it and took it back for a refund. If you are disappointed with the T500 then the G29 won't impress you as it has 'slack' in the gears which introduces a bit of a dead zone when turning between left and right and it clicks.
    Did you have to turn the ffb down on your T500? If I have mine set at anything over 72 the wheel tries shaking itself to bits under heavy breaking.
     Have you connected your T500 to your laptop and checked to see if the software is upto date as this makes a huge difference? Have you changed any of the advanced settings, linearity etc as I didn't have to change anything and there is absoloutley no floaty feeling on mine and the response is instant, the only thing I change apart from the ffb is manually locking the wheel to 270 degrees for the tight tracks instead of its default 360 degrees :smile:
    madwak said:
    @Gogetta I'm very surprised that your T500 feels floaty as mine with the F1 rim on is excellent and much better than the T300 which I also have. I have also tried the G29 and wasn't impressed with it and took it back for a refund. If you are disappointed with the T500 then the G29 won't impress you as it has 'slack' in the gears which introduces a bit of a dead zone when turning between left and right and it clicks.
    Did you have to turn the ffb down on your T500? If I have mine set at anything over 72 the wheel tries shaking itself to bits under heavy breaking.
     Have you connected your T500 to your laptop and checked to see if the software is upto date as this makes a huge difference? Have you changed any of the advanced settings, linearity etc as I didn't have to change anything and there is absoloutley no floaty feeling on mine and the response is instant, the only thing I change apart from the ffb is manually locking the wheel to 270 degrees for the tight tracks instead of its default 360 degrees :smile:
    Thanks for this. Glad you're getting on fine with yours. I've tried playing around with FFB settings and found around 60 to be best with some wheel weight, however, whatever settings I set I'm still weaving down the straights with no wheel input. Also, tried 270 degrees and just makes the issue worse.

Starting to think that it must be a problem that started when it was repaired. The centre value was off when I got it back after repair and I think that was start of this problem although I may be wrong. I'll try contacting Thrustmaster and see if they have anything to say.
    madwak said:
    Yeah I have, many times. Still get the same weaving as always. The centre value is correct because displays 0 in the settings on F1 when the wheel is dead straight.

Just tried project cars again and the wheel is so much better with project cars. Still some slight weaving but no where near as much as F1. This is really starting to get annoying. I want to enjoy F1 2016 but struggling at the mo!
    Just an update on my issue.

I decided to buy a T300 because people seemed a lot happier on this game with it. I'm still not impressed. I really think Codemasters haven't thought about wheel playability with this game. Maybe it's just on PS4 but the "feeling" on the wheel is just terrible. Still can't drive in a straight line even with a brand new T300!

I'm thinking that this may be a PS4 only issue because I've seen many YouTube videos of people having very good car control with wheels on the Xbox1. I don't really want to shell out a load more money just to see how it works on the Xbox. Anybody got any hand on experience on the Xbox?
  • madwakmadwak Member Wheel Nut
    @Gogetta Maybe it's an issue with your ps4 and not the wheels? I have 2 ps4's I run the T300 on one and the T500 on the other and have no problem with either of them. Have you tried deleting the save game file from the ps4 and starting again from scratch in case there is some sort of corruption in it?
  • F12korF12kor Member New Car Smell
    Same issue with my t300rs on PS4. F1 2015, project cars are perfects, on f1 2016 the ffb is good on straight lines but very weak and no resistance through corners. My firmware is ok, I delayed the game and save... No change. I Think is a ps4 issue or maybe the blue Ray disc. Sorry for my english
  • ADZA8580ADZA8580 Member New Car Smell
    Ive got the same issue. 
    T500RS with F1 rim.

At high speeds the wheel is so loose in the centre, sometimes its not even straight. It floats as you have described.
    It ruins the game for me at the moment. In the slow corners the wheel gets its weight back and I can feel everything.
    My firmware is up to date
    I have no issues with PJCars and it feels great on Asseto Corsa.

Its definately definately the game. I just feel other's may not pick up on it to be honest.

Hope TM and Codeys can get a fix for it soon or ill dump the game and stare at the corner till GTSport arrives lol
  • MrbundgeeMrbundgee Member New Car Smell
    This vid will show you the problems I'm having with the t80. its a shocker!!

• inspiretheworldinspiretheworld Member Race Steward
    To the video above what advanced wheel settings you got ? I had a T80 and never experianced that. I'm currently using a T150 and apart from rubbish ffb mine is fine. 
    PS4 - inspiretheworld
    Steam - beans_on_toast
  • MrbundgeeMrbundgee Member New Car Smell
    Dead zone-5 
    linearity-80
    saturation- 5
    throttle linearity- 20
    rest 0 mate
  • inspiretheworldinspiretheworld Member Race Steward
    Try playing with the steering settings as you might have it too sensitive. I know it's hard with the T80 as its crap with it all set to zero. 
    PS4 - inspiretheworld
    Steam - beans_on_toast
    madwak said:
    @Gogetta Maybe it's an issue with your ps4 and not the wheels? I have 2 ps4's I run the T300 on one and the T500 on the other and have no problem with either of them. Have you tried deleting the save game file from the ps4 and starting again from scratch in case there is some sort of corruption in it?
    Maybe it could be the PS4. Can't logically understand why it would make a wheel weave down the straights though. I'll try to borrow a friend's PS4 and try it sometime soon. I'll try starting a new game too if everything else fails.
    ADZA8580 said:
    Ive got the same issue. 
    T500RS with F1 rim.

At high speeds the wheel is so loose in the centre, sometimes its not even straight. It floats as you have described.
    It ruins the game for me at the moment. In the slow corners the wheel gets its weight back and I can feel everything.
    My firmware is up to date
    I have no issues with PJCars and it feels great on Asseto Corsa.

Its definately definately the game. I just feel other's may not pick up on it to be honest.

Hope TM and Codeys can get a fix for it soon or ill dump the game and stare at the corner till GTSport arrives lol
    Your problem is exactly the same as mine. I tried F1 2015 on PC today and it was fine. Going down the straights in a straight line felt like a luxury. I'm in hope too that they bring out a patch to sort it. Does seem strange that some other people don't have problems though. Has anyone got any feedback on the Xbox with the TX wheel?
    Mrbundgee said:
    This vid will show you the problems I'm having with the t80. its a shocker!!

Can't really comment on the T80 as I've never used one but I would say you've got way to much linearity. Any more the about 20 feels crap for me. But I think it all points to Codey's not thinking about wheel playability with this game (maybe just PS4).

• FoetsieFoetsie Member New Car Smell
    edited October 2016
    Tightening the rim with the base by turning the ring with the screw in it solved alot of problems for me with the T300rs and F1 rim.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/44245/having-a-wheel-issue-look-in-here#latest

I do think the FFB is underpowered in this game and especially the plastic F1 rim does a terrible job of transferring FFB trough it´s casing. 

Post edited by Foetsie on
    Foetsie said:
    Tightening the rim with the base by turning the ring with the screw in it solved alot of problems for me with the T300rs and F1 rim.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/44245/having-a-wheel-issue-look-in-here#latest

I do think the FFB is underpowered in this game and especially the plastic F1 rim does a terrible job of transferring FFB trough it´s casing. 

I've tightened the rim as much as possible with no improvement.

I tried F1 rim too but I think it actually feels worse.

I've managed to get some improvement by increasing the linearity to around 25-30 but still far from perfect. Nothing like Project Cars or even F1 2015.

I got fed up using the wheel in the end and now trying controller. Getting fed up with that too now though. This game has everything it needs: awesome career mode, good graphics, all the timing data you could want, but it's all a waste of time if you can't drive the bloody car properly. Massive shame!