Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Playstation Pro - any patches planned?

Is it planned to support the high-end modes of operation for the Playstation Pro?

I haven't decided which platform to get, X1 or PS - so I wonder.
Saw that operating X1 at 1080p was fixed.

Big fan of Dirt series, both 2 and 3 on PS3 and Xbox360 - Dirt 2 still being favourite.
Dirt 2 | Dirt 3 | F1 2011 | Dirt Rally Legend | Xbox

Comments

• LariosoDogLariosoDog Member New Car Smell
    So answer was a ringing - NO then.

I guess Codemaster is all about PC gamers.
    If console gamers really get the most out of the game is no concern of theirs.
  • SirPhilMcKrakenSirPhilMcKraken Member Petrol Head
    I'm pretty sure it has been patched with a boost mode or something
    Thanks, but isn't that default to any game to try use that?

Or maybe I mistunderstood it.

Thanks, but isn't that default to any game to try use that?

Or maybe I mistunderstood it.

No idea, I havent got one but its what I heard unless it was for Dirt 4
    Thank again.
    Looking at Pro last fall, it seems any games released from Sept 2016 are obliged to have Pro patch - Sony has this obligation. So Dirt 4 would need this from start.

I got an Xbox instead, but how Codemasters handle PS4 Pro tells a lot - if to go for Dirt 4 and can expect Scorpio patch later on when released.

But to me it seems Codemaster are only set to make PC Gamers get the best experience possible.

Many thanks for responding.
  • likewiselikewise Member Wheel Nut
    I was under the impression that "all" games released after the launch of the PS4 PRO would be optimized but the guys at "DIRT 4" only said... they are looking into it!... I own the PS4 PRO and currently only have one game that utilizes it's true power! If DIRT 4 and F1 2017 don't have PS4 PRO optimization then the whole thing has been a waste of money. The boost mode is actually pretty lame and it causes at least one of my games to constantly crash... 

likewise said:

I was under the impression that "all" games released after the launch of the PS4 PRO would be optimized but the guys at "DIRT 4" only said... they are looking into it!... I own the PS4 PRO and currently only have one game that utilizes it's true power! If DIRT 4 and F1 2017 don't have PS4 PRO optimization then the whole thing has been a waste of money. The boost mode is actually pretty lame and it causes at least one of my games to constantly crash... 

Interesting read, thank you.
    That pretty much confirms my view - Codemasters are dedicated to PC gamers only.
    Console versions are run by pinky finger - rest of hand are PC version with lots of small improvements and enhancements - constantly.
    Thats not true, while PC has capabilities to deliver better performance and graphical fidelity, they are not dedicated to PC only. Currently, all Dirt 4 footage has been from PS4 and it will feature graphical improvements and HDR for the Pro version. Dirt Rally is not going to be updated anymore since Dirt 4 is 2 months from release, it wouldn't make sense to update an old game.

Thats not true, while PC has capabilities to deliver better performance and graphical fidelity, they are not dedicated to PC only. Currently, all Dirt 4 footage has been from PS4 and it will feature graphical improvements and HDR for the Pro version. Dirt Rally is not going to be updated anymore since Dirt 4 is 2 months from release, it wouldn't make sense to update an old game.

Nothing I wish more to be wrong about, but facts are facts - what is done or not.
    My case against Codemaster being PC only:
    a) version upgrade just say new v1.23 as when I looked.
    So I started xbox and tried to make it update, and thought there was a bug.
    Further postings here on forum told me it was for PC only - and still did not bother to say so.
    So default assumption - nothing saying a console version - it is for PC.
    b) Current for Xbox was if I remember 1.0x(christmas some time) meaning no update second digit - while PC 1.2x.
    This mean new features and improvements for PC - not only bug fixes.
    For consoles - zero, zilch and nothing of that sort.
    c) No patches for PS4 Pro to really take abilities and make it more beautiful,
    d) No replies whatsoever regarding Scorpio questions I put on beginners forum.
    When I praised stuff, I have had moderator comments and likes.
    e) Dirt 4 - not much effort made either for PS4 Pro. I mean the power of PS4 Pro would allow almost close to PC looks of things - but rather plain standard looks now. some HDR stuff then, which is no big deal compared to increasing shading abilities.

My verdict - guilty as charged.....
  • versediversedi Member Petrol Head
    edited April 11
    The fixes in later versions were targeting PC related bugs, mostly because of driver updates. If they'd release these for consoles then ppl would be whining they have to.download update that is fixing sth only on PC
     Pqtch notes http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=310560
    „The speed was okay, but the corner was too tight.”

PS4 Pro is still not close to a high end PC, CM do a great job to begin with with optimisation. I tried the PS4 version on January and not only is it 60fps and was an Alpha build, it looked great and this is someone who is from a PC background.

versedi said:

The fixes in later versions were targeting PC related bugs, mostly because of driver updates. If they'd release these for consoles then ppl would be whining they have to.download update that is fixing sth only on PC

Sorry, but v1.0x compared to v1.2x is not only bugfixes - it suggest improvements.

PS4 Pro is still not close to a high end PC, CM do a great job to begin with with optimisation. I tried the PS4 version on January and not only is it 60fps and was an Alpha build, it looked great and this is someone who is from a PC background.

But Scorpio will be a bit closer - and nothing suggests they are on it.
    CM were incredible developers. I still run Dirt 2 weekly, which is still my favourite.
    The rest I bought I can do without. So what happend I'm not sure - some essential folks left or something.
    And it's all about PC now - summing it all together.
  • BadD0gBadD0g Member Petrol Head
    edited April 11

versedi said:

Sorry, but v1.0x compared to v1.2x is not only bugfixes - it suggest improvements.

The console versions were released 4 months after the PC version. The PC patches during those months were lumped into the console release, so they have different version numbers.
    |  CPU: i7-4790K  |  RAM: 16GB  |  GPU: MSI 970  |  OS: Win7  |  [D0gfish] on Steam
    Dirty Forumers League - "Missile vs Bullet" 3rd place 
  • RyuMakkuroRyuMakkuro Member Champion

LariosoDog said:

Console versions started out at 1.0, while the equivalent on the PC side was 1.2 I believe. Definitely a higher number than the consoles. But in essence it was the same version, just that it would be stupid releasing the game on console with the first version already starting at 1.2 or something of the sorts.

On top of that, every single game released on Playstation 4 after the release of PS4 Pro is mandated to support Pro. Otherwise the game won't be allowed to release at all. So don't worry, DiRT 4 will be getting PS4 Pro support, the main question is to what degree. I personally assume you'll get a 4K and a high quality (aka higher graphical settings) 1080p options, since that seems to be the standard. And given it will run at 60FPS from the get go... well, not much more to do.

"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna
    Thank you BadDog and RuyMakkuro for input.
    What you say make some sense, but does not explain why like for v1.23 they don't bother to say this is for PC in a nice way, title+text on forum post, so you as console player don't have to think twice about it. It's like console not even exist.

And if keeping 60 fps on console - how much penalty is on visuals doing that compared to PC?
    I mean a PS4 Pro patch would allow adding some visuals that PC have.

Dirt Rally Legent was released apr/may 2016 - why did they not bother with PS4 Pro patch one wonder. I mean to give that extra boost and headroom for when framerate is penalized. Assume PS4 Pro was at devs at the time.

Seems more interested in getting you pay again for Dirt 4 - rather than walk that extra mile for what is out there for paying customers. I had my own software business for 16 years and would never seen second year with that approach and care about existing customers.

And looking back - buying Dirt 4 for Xbox now will not get a patch for Scorpio whn it arrives. It will most probably be for Dirt 5 you will really make better use of hardware you run on - unless PC of course.
  • RyuMakkuroRyuMakkuro Member Champion
    edited April 15
    You have to keep in mind that nowadays, a console is bought for two reasons only. Ease of use and games. Long gone are the days when you bought a console for the technology in it (PS2, first consumer product with multiple core CPU and PS3 still has the most complicated and advanced CPU ever).

As to the version on the forum, cheer up, the PC version in game says 1.22 instead of 1.23 even though it is 1.23, so it's not like only console side gets ignored :D In all honesty though, those are small details that don't matter that much, especially given that console side is much more streamlines and less prone to issues. PC on the other hand is the place where everyone has a different issue and... yeah.

Regarding the post launch support, technically they did support it for quite a long time, and given that DR was a very low budget project... you can't expect much more especially when the accountants say "you now work on the new game, don't waste time on the older products". It's usually not much of a deal given that Codemaster games are well optimised.

Consoles are running an equivalent of medium to medium high settings afaik. There are some comparisons out there on the internet. PS4 Pro was released around September or October 2016, so any game released before it is not mandated to be supported with a patch. It's purely optional and down to each and every developer whether they want to spend resources on supporting a product. And apparently the playerbase of DR wasn't big enough at the time for the accountants to decide it's worth patching that functionality in.

You can be damn sure though it will come for DiRT 4 though, and as to Project Scorpio... again, you buy a console for ease of use and games, Xbox side has only ease of use currently. You want to play Xbox games? Just buy yourself a PC (or upgrade your current one) capable of running latest games and voila. Ryzen 5 plus a GTX1070 sounds like a really good deal currently in case you're interested in that. PC + PS4 (Pro) is the best combo you can have nowadays, PS4 for exclusives (and some badly optimised PC ports) and PC for everything else and the Xbox games.

LariosoDog said:
    RyuMakkuro
    There, fixed xD My little OCD, getting the names correctly :p

"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna