Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Something that could have changed the landscape of F1

Can you guys think of any examples that could have changed F1? In terms of teams or drivers staying or going, and whether if they made a different realistic potential decision that it would have changed F1?
I have two examples to do with drivers
Couthard retiring in 2008. I spoke to David at Silverstone a few years ago and he told me he could have stayed on for the 2009 season. How different could F1 look today? I'd expect him to be where Webber was, so if he had a good 2009 with the good Red Bull car of that year, could he have won a title that year or one of the following years.
Another based of 2009- Bruno Senna to Brawn GP. I'm pretty sure a full time drive in Rubens' place was nearly confirmed. I'm not sure what happened, but I'd see him with a few wins under his belt. He'd still be in F1 today IMO.

Any you guys can think of?

Comments

• Chadwick8505Chadwick8505 Member Wheel Nut
    Webber confirmed there was a lot of talks with Ferrari, I forget what year it was suppose to happen. Apparently all he had to do was sign the contract. I don't think it would have meant anything as far as championships go, but he might of still been around 
  • MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    There's so many what if's in Formula 1, but one of the big ones for me is Robert Kubica. If he didn't have that accident, where would he be today? A lot of people were linking him to Ferrari drives if I remember rightly, so lets say he moved to Ferrari in 2012 and partnered Alonso. Alonso came tantalisingly close to the title that year, so what could Robert have done in that car too?

MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I do not work for Codemasters
  • fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator
    If Senna survived, would he have won the 1994 title?
    What if Bianchi never had that crash?
    What if Grosjean never hit Alonso at Spa 2012, or Massa never had that engine failure at Hungary 2008?

The list is endless.

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

• RevolvingPrawnRevolvingPrawn Member Champion
    If the 8 teams, Ferrari, Brawn, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, Sauber, Red Bull, and Toro Rosso had gone through with the split back in 2009 and formed their own series for 2010.

Suprised that hasn't been brought up yet!
  • JiggyJiggy Member Race Steward
    edited October 2016
    Would F1 be dead if Ferrari had made good promise on one of their many, many, MANY threats to leave F1 or nah?

Where would Nick Heidfeld be if McLaren promoted him as planned until they saw Raikkönen and immediately abandoned all plans for Quick Nick?

What if Honda didn't get convinced by BAR in 1999 to drop their factory team-plans for an engine deal?

What if the FIA didn't impose those faggy rule changes in 2009, would Toyota, Honda and BMW still be here and would Mercedes even be here?

What if Jos Verstappen didn't spun off in the 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix when he had the pace in a Minardi to challenge Raikkönen and Fisichella for the win? What would a win have meant for Minardi?

What if Robert Kubica just didn't **** pick up a rally car? That still pisses me off.

What if Jean Alesi didn't follow his heart and joined Williams instead of Ferrari?

What if Olivier Panis didn't broke his leg in Montreal?

What if that one retard didn't ran over the track at the 2000 German Grand Prix? No seriously. That one changed the championship as Barrichello came from 17th to win with Schumacher out and the McLarens dominating and basically gave them the kick-off to ruining the Hockenheimring.
  • MexicolaMexicola Member Race Engineer
    What if Jerry really was a race car driver?
  • peyt0n89peyt0n89 Member Wheel Nut
    I've always wondered what could have happened if Kimi hadn't left Ferrari after '09. Ferrari was really good in 2010 and in 2012.
    Also, had Kimi won the San Marino and German GP's and Alonso would've been second (Kimi retired from the lead in both races, and Alonso stole both wins), Kimi would've won the championship that year. So many what if's in Kimi's career. If he would've been allowed to keep his 2003 Brazil win, he would've ended the championship in a draw with Schumi, 93 points each. He'd still be second in the standings on account of Schumi winning more races that year, but it would've still been the closest championship finish in F1 history.

..If you hadn't figured it out by now, I'm a Kimi fan.
    I smell like a new car.
  • banshee555banshee555 Member New Car Smell
    What if Bernie Ecclestone hadn't been born. :D
  • ElCapitanAshElCapitanAsh Member New Car Smell
    What if Bernie Ecclestone hadn't been born. :D
    F1 today would not have existed. Hate Bernie all you like but he built it
  • ForeverchampsForeverchamps Member Unleaded
    TDDB said:
    Can you guys think of any examples that could have changed F1? In terms of teams or drivers staying or going, and whether if they made a different realistic potential decision that it would have changed F1?
    I have two examples to do with drivers
    Couthard retiring in 2008. I spoke to David at Silverstone a few years ago and he told me he could have stayed on for the 2009 season. How different could F1 look today? I'd expect him to be where Webber was, so if he had a good 2009 with the good Red Bull car of that year, could he have won a title that year or one of the following years.
    Another based of 2009- Bruno Senna to Brawn GP. I'm pretty sure a full time drive in Rubens' place was nearly confirmed. I'm not sure what happened, but I'd see him with a few wins under his belt. He'd still be in F1 today IMO.

Any you guys can think of?

I am guessing you are suggesting that it would have been Coulthard, Vettel at Red Bull from 2009-13? If so, I still think Vettel would have won the titles - he beat Webber by a long way (Webber never even finished 2nd in the world championships), and Webber beat Coulthard when they were teammates, maybe Coulthard would have driven better if he knew he had the chance of winning a world title, who knows?

One thing that I can think of is that, had Webber won the title in 2010, I reckon he would have done a Rosberg (retired straight away). But that probably wouldn't really affect things now.

And I agree with @fIsince08 - to me, the most recent example would be Bianchi, had he not had his tragic accident, I am almost certain he would be in Kimi's car right now, but sadly we will never know.

• AyrotonS296AyrotonS296 Member Unleaded
    1. What if Francois Cevet never died
    2. What if Jochen Rindt lived to take his title
    3. What if Niki Lauda never had his accident
    4. What if Ferrari let their drivers race
    5. What if Bruce McLaren never had his accident
    6. What if Glock decided to switch to wets.
    7. What if Williams never introduced TC or ABS
    8. What if Hill had stayed with Williams
    9. What if Senna stayed with McLaren

And Finally

10. What if Schumacher had no interest in motoracing and never entered F1
  • DiRTKiNG808DiRTKiNG808 Member Wheel Nut
    What would happen if Jules Bianchi was still alive and moved to Mercedes for 2017?

PSN: slow-mo-bro
    Fantasy RX: North West Autosport
    F1 Predictor Game: DiRTKiNG808 (Curently doing not good)
  • ImDyingYouIdiotImDyingYouIdiot Member, Drivers Champion
    What would happen if Jules Bianchi was still alive and moved to Mercedes for 2017?

Unlikely that would have happened. He was a Ferrari junior, set to join Sauber, and later Ferrari.
    "I love ImDyingYouIdiot-senpai!" ♥‿♥ - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"ImDyingYouIdiot inspires us every day. Really, the only reason I get up every morning is to deliver him the perfect F1 experience." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"It is not unreasonable to assume that ImDyingYouIdiot, who is no doubt an extremely intelligent and attractive specimen of a lad, experiences the pleasures of intercourse on a fairly regular basis." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that
  • JulioMassaJulioMassa Member New Car Smell
    1. What if Francois Cevet never died
    2. What if Jochen Rindt lived to take his title
    3. What if Niki Lauda never had his accident
    4. What if Ferrari let their drivers race
    5. What if Bruce McLaren never had his accident
    6. What if Glock decided to switch to wets.
    7. What if Williams never introduced TC or ABS
    8. What if Hill had stayed with Williams
    9. What if Senna stayed with McLaren

And Finally

10. What if Schumacher had no interest in motoracing and never entered F1

1. Cevert would fight for the title in 1974 and ultimately become the champion
    2. Fittapaldi wouldn't replace him, he would win more titles and probably Fittipaldi wouldn't be the 1972 champion
    3.He would win the 1976 championship by a countrymile
    4. They would lose some of their titles
    5. He could become the second champion in his own car
    6. He wouldn't rejoin ahead of Lewis and we wouldn't have the "Is that Glock" quote
    7. They wouldn't be banned for 1994 and Senna wouldn't have that many problems with their car
    8. He would still be one-time world champion
    9. he would leave them halfway through 1994 season and join different team
    10. There would be few more champions or some drivers would have more championships, like Kimi would be the 2003 and 2007 champion.
  • Reub09Reub09 Member, Drivers Pit Crew
    edited December 2016
    IS THAT GLOCK !

Jules Bianchi's crash - Would most likely be at Ferrari rn ;(

If Alonso won his 3rd world title ..
    | Former F1 TS Hub Driver | PSGL F4 League Red Bull TAG Heuer #15 | PS4 | Irish | Red Bull #3 #33 |

• JiggyJiggy Member Race Steward
    What if Michael Schumacher didn't get forced into retirement because dumb ass Italians thought things would be different after failing all those years before Brawn?
  • ByrneByrne Member Unleaded
    What if alonso had taken the offer from red bull for the 08 season rather than going back to renault
  • GoldenColtGoldenColt Member Team Principal
    edited February 12
    Red Bull would've become **** immediately after he put pen to paper.