Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

[Spoilers] The Grand Tour Megathread

I thought it might be an idea to have a separate thread to chat about the new Grand Tour, because I'm sure pretty much all of you are gonna watch it at some point, so to keep it out of the Stuff Thread in case we spoil it for anyone, lets talk about it here!

What did you all think of Episode 1 then? I was not disappointed! There were a couple of little things I wasn't keen about but on the whole it was fantastic, and it's so refreshing to have the trio back to their best again.
MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating

Comments

• HughesyHughesy Member Champion
    edited November 2016
    Jeremy Clarkson: "I'm on the Internet so I could pleasure a horse" :joy: :joy: :joy: Man I've missed them so much!

I thought it was bloody brilliant, it made the new Top Gear look even more pathetic.
    Post edited by Hughesy on
  • scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    edited November 2016
    MBKF1 said:
    I thought it might be an idea to have a separate thread to chat about the new Grand Tour, because I'm sure pretty much all of you are gonna watch it at some point
    I can safely say I wouldn't watch it if it was shown on an endless loop on all channels on proper telly, let alone something I had to pay extra to some other company to watch...
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
  • MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    The opening was fantastic, I had a tear in my eye when Hammond and May pulled up alongside Clarkson in their Mustangs. The film about the McLaren, Porsche and Ferrari was top notch, and the cinematography is out of this world, as it was on Top Gear, but being in 4K they've really stepped it up.

The tent is a great idea, they've really got that right, but there were a couple of things I wasn't so sure about. For example, the whole fight scene I thought was a bit forced and it dragged on for too long. Also, a couple of times their lines did seem pretty scripted. I hope they do more off the cuff stuff in the future. They're at their best when they're just chatting and taking the **** out of each other.

The 'Eboladrome' is brilliant too, it's based at RAF Wroughton, and I've drawn out a little map on Routebuilder to show the layout. http://routebuilder.org/2086 An interesting concept having the track double up on itself too! I might have a look at the rest of a facility now and try and come up with other concepts. Feel free to join me!

Wasn't massively keen on Mike Skinner, their driver. I don't know, I just didn't seem to gel with him, and he again seemed quite scripted. It would be better if he could just give his true opinion on the cars as he's driving them.

It's pretty clear that the Grand Tour is essentially a re-boot of Top Gear, it's not massively different, but I don't blame them because with Top Gear they had the perfect formula for a show, so why get rid of it? I do hope they don't have celebrities every week, it would be good to keep it to the good stuff with the three of them, but we'll have to see.

All in all though, a great start. Can't wait for the next 11 episodes!
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating
    edited November 2016
    MBKF1 said:
    I thought it might be an idea to have a separate thread to chat about the new Grand Tour, because I'm sure pretty much all of you are gonna watch it at some point
    I can safely say I wouldn't watch it if it was shown on an endless loop on all channels on proper telly, let alone something I had to pay extra to some other company to watch...
    Well why even post in the thread then, makes no sense at all....

For me the show and the whole steaming is free, because I buy several things from Amazon each month, so the first class shipping would actually cost more than what I pay for the Prime sub.
  • couger1981couger1981 Member Race Engineer
    I personally don't like the tent, i guess i'm a bit nostalgic and like the hanger better. Also it looks like their conducting job interviews where there sitting at the table. But great show still glad there back :)
    Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 2017
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator
    edited November 2016
    I personally don't like the tent, i guess i'm a bit nostalgic and like the hanger better. Also it looks like their conducting job interviews where there sitting at the table. But great show still glad there back :)
    They weren't allowed to use a studio because it would've been too similar to Top Gear.

I loved the first episode and quite frankly laughed at the bits you guys hated! I creased up at Jezza's gypsie comment right at the start.

If any of you follow Sniff Petrol on twitter, he is the script editor for the show and revealed a few behind the scenes secrets. I found this quite interesting about the holy trinity film:

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

James May shooting the Queen of England in the back of the head was a particular highlight :joy:
    Watched episode 2 and was a little disappointed. The SAS film had its moments, such as Jezza's trousers and James shooting the queen (then Hammond), but overall it was way too scripted. The fat American is a pain in the arse and I'm starting to see some reoccurring themes already - the Drone getting destroyed in the opening sequence and the celebrities dying. Both could get tiring pretty quickly.

I think the next two are in Whitby, so I'll guess now and say the drone is attacked by a seagull in one of them and the celebrity is washed away by a fluke tidal wave or something.

#RIPJules

Can't expect every episode to be amazing, but I do agree it wasn't great. I'm so glad they aren't doing celeb interviews, always hated them and ended up  muting the interviews as I couldn't give a rats arse what they have to say.
  • RevolvingPrawnRevolvingPrawn Member Champion
    I quite liked the newest episode :p The killing celebrities and 'The American' being an a-hole are 2 parts that I just wish they weren't bothering with, even though the first celebrity kill of Jeremy Renner did make me laugh, it got old quickly.

Loved the whole Edge of Tomorrow thing they pulled with the special forces film though :)
    Just watched Ep2 and two mediocre episodes so far, i remember watching Mike skinner in Nascar back in the 90s and early 00s he was useless back then and still is a bore to watch today.
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

Really enjoyed the latest episode, trust Clarkson to build a car from bones :joy:
    Yeah I really liked it this week, I love the challenges where they have to buy a car and just do whatever they want to it. There's something so contagious about their laughter. I was laughing my head off when James' mud started just falling apart :D

However, I still don't like Mike Skinner / the communist jokes or the Celebrity Braincrash sections. They're starting to run a bit dry now.

edited December 2016
    Maybe Skinner could die like the celebs. The issue is they can't just put a driver in a black suit with helmet like the Stig, as they'd get in trouble. At this point they should sell the rights to Top Gear before it becomes worthless, sadly the BBC are run by muppits.

I don't really like the track either, there's not enough room, surely they could find another old air field.
    Yeah it is a tough situation for them. To be honest, I wouldn't mind him but he's deliberately trying to be funny. I'd rather they just left him to do the driving and give genuine thoughts on the car as he's on the lap, talking about the bumps, oversteer, gear changes, etc. I know it wouldn't appeal to the casual viewer but I'd rather that than some lame attempts at silly jokes.
    fIsince08 said:
    Watched episode 2 and was a little disappointed. The SAS film had its moments, such as Jezza's trousers and James shooting the queen (then Hammond), but overall it was way too scripted. The fat American is a pain in the arse and I'm starting to see some reoccurring themes already - the Drone getting destroyed in the opening sequence and the celebrities dying. Both could get tiring pretty quickly.

I think the next two are in Whitby, so I'll guess now and say the drone is attacked by a seagull in one of them and the celebrity is washed away by a fluke tidal wave or something.
    Nailed it.

In all seriousness though, that was one hell of a funny episode!

#RIPJules

I thought the last episode was a bit dull i laughed when Mays car collapsed from the bricks, Skinner is still boring aswell. 
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

What a fantastic episode. Humour, Top Gear dig at the cenotaph, a revival of some of the old catch phrases (the condom scene was hilarious) and the Le Mans film was amazing.

Pity James didn't have "O ****" written on his condom though...

#RIPJules

Lol yea his missed an opportunity. I liked the jumpers, I didn't spot right away what the letters were. Also the sooner the American dies the better, hopefully he gets ebola or something as he's awful.
    Hughesy said:
     Lol yea his missed an opportunity. I liked the jumpers, I didn't spot right away what the letters were. Also the sooner the American dies the better, hopefully he gets ebola or something as he's awful.
    Maybe he'll catch it at the EBOLADROME.

hahahahahahahahaha