Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

is F1 losing it's iconic tracks to newer, more boring locations?

Istanbul was my favourite track but that's long gone, now Hockenheim, (my current fav) is gone again next year and maybe (in the future) Monza & Montreal? That leaves us racing some of the most boring tracks ever conceived (China/U.S.A/Bahrain/Mexico). I did a 25% online race last night in Austin and almost fell asleep and just turned the game off. Quite honestly, if F1 continues to lose it's iconic historical tracks I'm not sure I want to race F1 anymore... There are some GREAT tracks out there that would be a ton of fun to race with an F1 car (Elkhart Lake, Laguna Seca) are an example of two in the U.S that are WAY better than C.O.T.A...  

Comments

• BoothJoeBoothJoe Member New Car Smell
    You need to realize that fans and consumers are no longer the customers of large scale business enterprises. The real customers of business are the investors and stockholders. What matters is what makes them money and anything else is irrelevant.
  • ZvikoZviko Member Race Steward
    Not that they're gone..they come and go. Hockenheim wasnt ina calendar last year but was this year and years before. Maybe will be back in 2018. We know Magny-course is returnig next year, another legendary track.
  • dwin20dwin20 Member Unleaded
    I can't imagine Monza ever not being a part of the circuit, particularly given Ferrari's role...
  • kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Petrol Head
    The big myth is Bernie does this and Bernie does that and is the one to blame for everything that happins in F1. All of that simply isn't true. Maybe back in the late 80 and 90s but not in todays F1. The money these tracks cant afford isnt even money that would go to F1.  Its whats being paid to everything that comes with a F1 race weekend meant to lure people there. The concerts, car shows and events around the race.  What is making the poorer tracks miss out is they can afford to hold the things that lures people to the tracks to sell enough tickets. Bernies pocket has nothing to do what tracks has races or not.
    Xbox one, controller
  • punkianpunkian Member New Car Smell
    Zviko said:
    Not that they're gone..they come and go. Hockenheim wasnt ina calendar last year but was this year and years before. Maybe will be back in 2018. We know Magny-course is returnig next year, another legendary track.
    Magny-Cours won't be back next year and it's not a legendary track anyway. It was only built in the early 90's. Paul-Richard where the French GP is been held for next few year is more legendary as it has been used since the 70's (not that I'm saying it's any good but it's better the Magny-Cours which only ever had a good race when it rained)
  • Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Champion

I love CotA!  <3

*Disclaimer: my statements only represent my own musings, not "speaking for others" or "stating opinions as facts."

forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/03/31/why-buyer-beware-is-a-terrible-excuse-for-bad-video-games/
    polygon.com/2014/8/20/6049157/Diablo-3-new-releases-wait-patience
    venturebeat.com/2013/12/10/well-fix-it-later-why-do-gamers-accept-brokenunfinished-products/
    gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-12-19-buggy-games-deserve-much-harsher-treatment
    eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-01-new-consumer-rights-act-puts-gamers-in-the-driving-seat
    pretendracecars.net/2017/01/08/why-ive-cut-back-on-sim-racing
    Partially
     functional games should not charge anywhere near full retail price. • If a game is ready to sell, it should be ready to play. • Launch day should not be the start of a public retail beta. • 'Limited resources' & the impossibility of 'perfection' are not justifications for poor quality. • Pre-ordering & buying games at launch is paying for the worst version of the game at its highest price - it'll function better after it's patched, and there are always discount sales later. Why pay full price up-front to be a post-launch beta tester? • As long as people continue buying it, companies will continue selling it. • If we want good quality, we have to stop buying & funding bad quality. #NeverPreOrder

• FOneFanaticFOneFanatic Member, Drivers Team Principal
    Zviko said:
    Is it confirmed that Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours will be on the calendar next year for a French Grand Prix - that would be really cool. France needs some representation in F1 not just the 24 Hours of Lemans.
    If his unpleasant wounding, has in someway enlightened the rest of us, as to the grim finish beneath the glossy veneer of criminal life, and has inspired us all to change our ways, then his injuries carry with it an inherent nobility, and a supreme glory!

"Gone in 60 Seconds"
  • coolieboycoolieboy Member, Drivers Petrol Head
    While I do love all those iconic tracks I do like some of the newer ones too. China, Russia, COTA...to name a few.  The problem i have with some newer tracks is that the run off areas are too forgiving.  But then again the problem with the iconic tracks is that they are broken up by chicanes to slow down the cars.  I used to love Silverstone but since the changes I can't seem to come to terms with the track.  I used to love Hockenheim but since the changes I hate driving this track in modern F1 games.  
    Zviko said:
    Is it confirmed that Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours will be on the calendar next year for a French Grand Prix - that would be really cool. France needs some representation in F1 not just the 24 Hours of Lemans.
    Its confirmed but i dont know exactly if its next year or 2018.
  • Bloomie01Bloomie01 Member New Car Smell
    edited December 2016
    Zviko said:
    It's not Magny-course, it's another French track called Paul Ricard.
  • Bloomie01Bloomie01 Member New Car Smell
    Bloomie01 said:
    Zviko said:
    And yes, Paul Ricard is a boring track- it's mainly used for testing nowadays.
    Bloomie01 said:
    Zviko said:
    Oh yeah. Sorry about that. I got excited when i saw the news...
  • IcemanrkIcemanrk Member Unleaded
    Zviko said:
    Zviko said:
    Hm... Yeah? Iceman rk 769 on Xbox One and Nickael on my You Tube but does anyone care? Oh well!
  • marsal79marsal79 Member, Drivers Wheel Nut
    ...its about the money... ferrari, red bull, mercedes get a huge / to high sum for just beeing in the f1....
    The second this is that neither German or French gouverment support the tracks financialy ... tracks in Russia or Bahrain or someone els are supported by gouverment.. also USA race was supported by the state of Texas.. so the movement from classic circuits to new one can ba avoided by reducing costs in f1 and reduce the ticket prices..

PS; by the way f.e. the races in Bahrain were one of the best in last years, even better than monza races- monza was really bouring this year!
  • FOneFanaticFOneFanatic Member, Drivers Team Principal
    edited December 2016
    Zviko said:
    Zviko said:
    In an interview on F1.com Bernie did confirm to a journalist that the French GP was set for next year, 2017, but I presume he is still working out the kinks before it is calendared for 2017. 
    If his unpleasant wounding, has in someway enlightened the rest of us, as to the grim finish beneath the glossy veneer of criminal life, and has inspired us all to change our ways, then his injuries carry with it an inherent nobility, and a supreme glory!

"Gone in 60 Seconds"
  • IcemanrkIcemanrk Member Unleaded
    marsal79 said:
    ...its about the money... ferrari, red bull, mercedes get a huge / to high sum for just beeing in the f1....
    The second this is that neither German or French gouverment support the tracks financialy ... tracks in Russia or Bahrain or someone els are supported by gouverment.. also USA race was supported by the state of Texas.. so the movement from classic circuits to new one can ba avoided by reducing costs in f1 and reduce the ticket prices..

PS; by the way f.e. the races in Bahrain were one of the best in last years, even better than monza races- monza was really bouring this year!
    Yeah the french GP only exist because it was made secretly by the region
    Hm... Yeah? Iceman rk 769 on Xbox One and Nickael on my You Tube but does anyone care? Oh well!
  • scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    DazzUK70 said:
    I don't like it,  loved the old hockenheim track before it was neutered. Way more challenging. Dangerous yes but motor sport is dangerous and no one forces a driver to drive or anyone to to watch. 
    Safety reasons were the least of Hockenheim's problems before its current redesign. The long high-speed straights were so punishing that the attrition rate was usually very high, and most of the overtaking took place in the forest where none of the spectators could see it. All of which meant it wasn't really much fun for anyone--the drivers (Martin Brundle used to say nobody liked racing there in his day), the spectators who couldn't see the best of the action, or the TV audience who often ended up with fewer than 10 cars to watch.
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
  • AlifRizqiAlifRizqi Member New Car Smell
    Bloomie01 said:
    Bloomie01 said:
    Zviko said:
    And yes, Paul Ricard is a boring track- it's mainly used for testing nowadays.
    If Magny-Cours is to narrow for f1 cars and Paul Ricard is just boring, why they don't think to go to Le Mans? 
    likewise said:
    f1 racetrack leaves us racing some of the most boring tracks ever conceived (China/U.S.A/Bahrain/Mexico). There are some GREAT tracks out there that would be a ton of fun to race with an F1 car (Elkhart Lake, Laguna Seca) are an example of two in the U.S that are WAY better than C.O.T.A... 
    Operator1 said:
    I love CotA!  <3

Personally i don't like COTA because the track it's too twisty for f1 and other motorsport. but they have support form their government so that they still could run races in there. in US i prefer Indianapolis or Daytona to held F1 because both of them are have banking turn which will make the car accelerate further after exiting those turn and release it's true power on the straight, while in COTA since the track was twisty the car couldn't gave it's potential power and less overtaking of course... . Track's like Shanghai, Sochi, Baku, COTA should have removed from calendar and track's like Jerez, Nurburgring, Indy should have been back to calendar and yeah tracks like Monza, Spa, Silverstone, Montreal  should stay on calendar because it's a fun track and is irreplaceable in F1

Track is not only the reason F1 is now even more BORING, the rule that is having a higher downforce car is also meaning that is harder to keeping the pace to the car in front making there is no chance to overtake or even to launch counterattack. And since no overtaking, the winner is determined by Pitstop or even only Qualiflying time, making you don't need to watch the race to see the winner. And not only the rule about higher downforce car. the rule like more restricted overtaking that doesn't imply by other motorsport (exp NASCAR or MotoGP) is also making the race is more boring. I mean come on, if there's should be a contact while overtaking someone ,is it count as collision or  racing incident? because such thing is something that being unaware to driver. and giving them a penalty after overtaking is the reason that makes the driver are don't wan't to overtake because afraid to do so is going to make them to be penalized.

F1 NEEDS A CHANGE. like more lesser Rule, car that have suits the F1 characteristics (Speed, Sounds, Overtake), Tracks that is twisty and weird looking are remove , and having a new format so that the race is more unpredictable and exciting as more as ever. they also need to hear from the drivers instead from conglomerate or corporation because the key is the driver, not a company or something. I mean when we have a races like Donington 1993, Monaco 1992, Adelaide 1994, Jerez 1997, Belgium 1998 in the future if  F1 stays like this?