Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Dirt Desert Racing/Baja style game?

blckmagic1blckmagic1 Member New Car Smell

This has been a dream of mine for such a long time. Buying dirt rally and realizing how far these games have progressed, why can't someone finally make a desert racing game???  The Baja 1000 is one of the most grueling races out there, why aren't developers interested? I’m just picturing an offroad game with DR physics and it’s making my mouth water.

Just imagine open maps that had point to point racing, with TROPHY TRUCKS. No game has really ventured into long travel...everyone loves suspension! I know for sure is CM or someone else made a game it would sell off the shelves. With all the SCORE, BITD and TORC series fans I know I’m not the only one. I understand investing the $ for this is risky with the target audience, but it could be a huge seller.

I've been a fan of dirt and mx vs atv since the beginning, anyone else agree with me? 

Post edited by blckmagic1 on

Comments

• Alf72Alf72 Member Co-Driver

This is something i'd like to see happen, and if there's someone who can make it right, it's Codies.

The question is, does Codies have an Engine capable of doing a huge open world, where we can do very long ( big emphasis in very long ) stages? I wouldn't be surprised if a Project like this is in Codies " to do list ", but in future, when they get the necessary tools, to do it right.

CMR | DiRT | DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | DiRT 4 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID AutoSport | F1 2013

Wheel - G27 | Pedals - G27 w/ Nixim Springs | Shifter - G27 | Handbrake - Extreme 3D Pro

" Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows " - Walter Rohrl

• blckmagic1blckmagic1 Member New Car Smell
    You're right.  I know there's some huge maps out there. In The Crew it takes a good 40 or so minutes to drive across map. With the baja game dependent on multiple long stages, it's definitely tricky. Personally for me, a 40 minute race is good enough, and you could also do multiple laps of that. I know the DR engine couldn't handle multi car events, so I guess there's a lot of developing to do before this game is possible. 
  • JZStudiosJZStudios Member Team Principal
    I'm also a fan of the Baja, but doing a 36 hour race isn't really my cup of tea. And I don't even like tea.
    The Crew is impressive, but it also misses the mark on a lot of things. There's also never been an open world "Sim" as far as I know.
  • AreyoubenAreyouben Member Race Steward
    edited December 2016
    When Fuel was first announced it was going to be just that. Then called Grand Raid Offroad, it was set out to be a fictional Dakar game, with similar jeeps, buggy's and trucks seen in the real rally. Unfortunately it was later re-branded Fuel and released as a post apocalypse racing game. :/

Post edited by Areyouben on
    Areyouben said:
    When Fuel was first announced it was going to be just that. Then called Grand Raid Offroad, it was set out to be a fictional Dakar game, with similar jeeps, buggy's and trucks seen in the real rally. Unfortunately it was later re-branded Fuel and released as a post apocalypse racing game. :/
    See that's exactly what I'm talking about! The finished game still looks pretty good but the dakar theme would have been sweet. 
    Seems like all the best offroad games came out in 2009 (dirt 2, mx vs atv reflex, and fuel) 
    JZStudios said:
    I'm also a fan of the Baja, but doing a 36 hour race isn't really my cup of tea. And I don't even like tea.
    The Crew is impressive, but it also misses the mark on a lot of things. There's also never been an open world "Sim" as far as I know.
    It would be scaled down of course, it's hard enough doing a 10 min run up Pike's Peak. With the crew the main focus was the map size, so as long as they had that bragging point I think they were ok taking a hit on some other areas. 
    Fuel was SUUUUPER boring though. A big problem with those kinds of games is it just ends up being a massive expanse of nothing. The apocalyptic whatever theme was also a dumb choice, turning it into a mad max sort of deal with dull drab and bleak landscapes and colors. That demo video looks fairly nice.
  • FedemaisonnaveFedemaisonnave Member, Drivers Race Steward
    I really liked the navigation part of Dakar 2 ps2, if dirt make a DLC or game of offroad, I would love to have navigation
    JZStudios said:
    Fuel was SUUUUPER boring though. A big problem with those kinds of games is...
    I'm sure that's true, but a desert is a desert...  lol.
    I really liked the navigation part of Dakar 2 ps2, if dirt make a DLC or game of offroad, I would love to have navigation
    I agree, nav would be awesome. There's so many cool features they could do in this game
    JZStudios said:
    Fuel was SUUUUPER boring though. A big problem with those kinds of games is...
    I'm sure that's true, but a desert is a desert...  lol.
    I agree, nav would be awesome. There's so many cool features they could do in this game
    Yeah... the idea of open world games is always more intriguing than the end result. Especially in a racing game. GTA type game have some other things to do, but in a racing game the most you can do is drive by and go "Ooh, pretty." There's not really a whole lot of involvement in the world.
    On the flip side, the Forza Horizon games are the only ones that made me consistently (and still do) just take a slow drive and actually enjoy the pretty. The first game has a mountain road you can drive up, and it's pretty bang on the real deal, just a bit shorter. It's nice to see the main festival lights in the distance as you ascend the mountain.
    Then the next two games neglected that completely in favor of much more flat landscapes.
    I guess it depends on the person. The free ride feature on Reflex was one of my favorite things to do. Yeah during races you can't pay attention to stuff, but I literally spent hours a day just free riding and hooning around.  So imagining that with PS4 graphics and dirt rally type physics is why I want it so badly. It's the terrain aspect really. I like tuning and messing with suspension so if  there were jumps and miles of whoops I would never leave.
    I guess it depends on the person. The free ride feature on Reflex was one of my favorite things to do. Yeah during races you can't pay attention to stuff, but I literally spent hours a day just free riding and hooning around.  So imagining that with PS4 graphics and dirt rally type physics is why I want it so badly. It's the terrain aspect really. I like tuning and messing with suspension so if  there were jumps and miles of whoops I would never leave.
    Yeah, maybe it's just me that gets bored easily. I can only play GTA for about an hour at a time before I get bored.
    But I do question why there's never been an open world simulator, except I suppose for Euro Truck... which isn't at all exciting to me.
  • Alpinestar34Alpinestar34 Member New Car Smell
    I know im a little late, well 10 months late and that my list might be long and too complex for a present game, but think about everything this game could offer
    -Custom build trucks+buggies
    -Build your own team (kind of like dirt 4)
    -Buy chase trucks to help you on pits
    -Buy a helicopter to chase you on the course and give you warnings
    -Start line in the middle of the city and jumping into the spillway 
    -Driving through ranches with HUGE crowds of people
    -Unexpected boobie traps
    -Spectators on the road, spectator CARS on the road
    -Having the race go through speed limit highways
    -Recieve penalties for speeding on speed limit
    - Having to stop on checkpoint
    -Having to struggle with the dust when you are catching up to someone and if you do catch them give them a little love tap
    -Able to stop the car on the course to change a flat or check something
    -Mountain roads, siltbeds, beaches, rivers, hillclimbs, lakebeds, forest, towns
    -pre run ?
    -day to night
    -cattle on the road
    -if you roll, get stuck, or fall to ditches on spectator places, they can help you out
    -whoops
    -natural jumps

This is just my opinion of what a perfect Baja game would be like
    IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO ADD SAY IT
  • GaelrvzGaelrvz Member New Car Smell
    -qualifying on a short course track
    -tech inspection
    -real life racers (Bj baldwin,rob maccachren etc)
    -sponsors
    -super dark when at night and arriving to the city through the spillway and up to the city again
    -places like ojos ****.borrego.mikes sky ranch. La Rumorosa
    -environment change instead of appearing on another stage on another environment
  • Alpinestar34Alpinestar34 Member New Car Smell

-------------------------------------------------------