Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Comments

• tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    PaloSamo said:
    Not the first rallycross story of 2017 that I wanted to read! 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• PaloSamoPaloSamo Member Pit Crew
    tbtstt said:
    PaloSamo said:
    Not the first rallycross story of 2017 that I wanted to read! 
    Well, Lydden Hill will take place in 2017, so it's not that bad ;)
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    Is there already a rallycross circuit at silverstone or is it a new one being built? It's a massive shame to see lydden go (although silverstone is a lot closer to home for me!), but if it's a new track it has the potential to be decent, although I think silverstone is quite flat?

Michael

Real life rally co-driver and Full time agricultural student

-------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox One League - Michaels League - Feel free to join!

Is there already a rallycross circuit at silverstone or is it a new one being built? It's a massive shame to see lydden go (although silverstone is a lot closer to home for me!), but if it's a new track it has the potential to be decent, although I think silverstone is quite flat?
    It's yet to be built @RallyDriven. There was a hint this was coming last year as Autosport ran an article about the future plans of Silverstone: 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124606

If you read the fourth paragraph there is a quote from Patrick Allen, the MD of Silverstone:

"I'm looking to create an arena in and around Stowe, so we'll have grandstands all around Stowe, and then we can do things like Race of Champions, World Rallycross and music concerts,"

That is all we really know at the moment and even that is unconfirmed. After 24 hours pondering the news, I am struggling to see any positives. The loss of Lydden isn't a surprise, but that doesn't make the news it is going to Silverstone any less disappointing. Thus far I have been OK with the balance between old and new in the World Rallycross Championship, but this feels like a major sway towards "new". 

The blow might have been softened if it was going elsewhere, but my last few trips to Silverstone haven't been great and the last time I was there (for the Moto GP) was one of the least enjoyable days I've ever spent at a race circuit. Of course it remains to be seen how rallycross is going to fit in there, so I will reserve final judgment until we know more, but at this point I'm not at all enthused by this decision. 

With regards to Lydden my major hope at this stage is that the loss of the World Championship means that Lydden will welcome the BTRDA again, or perhaps even be considered for the Rallycross Challenge. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

Yeah, I agree it's not good, but I d like to see the positives in things like this! So I'm hoping that a decent track will be made out of the site. Although, as you say, the 'proper' rx tracks like lydden, he'll and holjes are the best tracks on the calendar!

Michael

edited January 11
    Will certainly make things very interesting, especially in the team championship!

also good to see my other favourite motorsport make the front page in the bottom right!

Michael

• zoliRXzoliRX Member Wheel Nut

Shame about Lydden being gone for the 2018 season. I can kind of understand the decision, but still saddening. On the upside, Silverstone might finally get to be interesting. Frankly, it has to be one of the most boring race tracks (that I know of anyway).

Also nice to see Solberg joining VW.

• SirPhilMcKrakenSirPhilMcKraken Member Petrol Head
    I wonder if Silverstone opting into this is because they are struggling to afford to keep the F1 licence and they can see RX's rising popularity?

Why is Lydden being dropped though?
    I wonder if Silverstone opting into this is because they are struggling to afford to keep the F1 licence and they can see RX's rising popularity?

Why is Lydden being dropped though?
    Although Lydden has vastly improved its facilities in the last decade, some aspects of the paddock are not as good as those at other circuits. There has been a proposed facelift in the works for some time, though the application for planning approval has stalled with Dover council. 

The delay in the promised circuit development seems the strongest possible reason for dropping Lydden off the calendar. Though of course the more cynical fans think that it is purely money driven: Silverstone has flashed the cash, therefore they will get it. This theory is potentially supported by the news that Silverstone will be losing the F1, therefore they will be looking at other ways of making money...

... I find the Silverstone situation most confusing though: in one breath there is talk about the circuit struggling, in the next they are poaching World Rallycross and spending money developing a new circuit!

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• dwkGraveydwkGravey Member Race Steward
    Finally, Solberg in a works-backed team. I guess this means no high-profile Citroëns this season. OTOH there's still time left for VW to pull the plug on this program too...
    DiRT 4 notes: Everything we know so far | DiRT Rally notes: All the cars, stages, and more

• MyrvoldMyrvold Member Wheel Nut
    dwkGravey said:
    Finally, Solberg in a works-backed team. I guess this means no high-profile Citroëns this season. OTOH there's still time left for VW to pull the plug on this program too...
    Works-backed are, not strictly true. It's PSRX and Kristofferson that pay for it, just like the Polo in WRC, VW can run it, if someone else pays for it all.
    RaceDepartment DiRT League - weekly events, 340 drivers currently in league:) - https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/league/1541/racedepartment
  • AreyoubenAreyouben Member Co-Driver
    Would be nice to see the Global Rallycros HPD in the FIA championship at some point, with Jenson in it.

• dwkGraveydwkGravey Member Race Steward
    Myrvold said:
    dwkGravey said:
    Works-backed are, not strictly true. It's PSRX and Kristofferson that pay for it, just like the Polo in WRC, VW can run it, if someone else pays for it all.
    Yeah, they have factory support, they're just not a factory team. And now EKS is works-backed too.
    DiRT 4 notes: Everything we know so far | DiRT Rally notes: All the cars, stages, and more

edited February 21
  • KingOfCoinsKingOfCoins Member Race Engineer
    Hmm, Baumanis's livery reminds me of a certain Ford Focus  RSRX
    If you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough
    -Mario Andretti
    Areyouben said:
    Great news, was afraid that Stohl wouldn't run in the World Championship! 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

Anyone think we'll see the new 2018 Fiesta with the low taillights in RX already this year?
    Hmm, Baumanis's livery reminds me of a certain Ford Focus  RSRX
    Yeah, very reminiscent of Bakkerud's car, isn't it? Looks good though!
    Areyouben said:
    Anyone think we'll see the new 2018 Fiesta with the low taillights in RX already this year?
    I'm going to say no. Unless someone is offered a shell(s) before the start of the season, I can't see anyone re-shelling a car during the season...

...though if there is a financial incentive available, I'm sure someone will prove me wrong there! 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"