Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Next Installment of Dirt

wfwr26wfwr26 Member Unleaded
Here it is boys, the big question.  Will the next installment of Dirt (if that is what we are getting) finally take the crown away from Richard Burns Rally as the best rally sim to date?  Richard Burns has had plenty of years and mods to make it the great sim that it is, but because of its 2004 release and dated game engine it does lack in some areas already compared to Dirt.  Can Dirt finally match up to stage length, car physics, car set-up (the freedom to choose tire compounds between stages), locations, and realistic unforgiving damage?  The next installment is hopefully a huge improvement from Dirt Rally, which has already blown our minds, and if that is the case, I do believe it will go down as the greatest Rally Sim to date! --Just putting this poll up for a bit of fun...no one needs to go postal about it.--

Next Installment of Dirt 21 votes

Yes, the next installment of Dirt will go down as the best rally sim to date!
80%
Oscar97DidzisiAmKing144cjl9SimVansevenantYoMrWhitePorkhammerDytutKevMcarpaSirPhilMcKrakentilithompunkianwfwr26Mosquito24850NMNDkheiro 17 votes
No, Richard Burns Rally is still the G.O.A.T.
19%
gtmissionSamRWDHa3aPAlexKozlitin 4 votes

Comments

• DytutDytut Member Champion
    If the next Dirt game is Dirt Rally 2, then yes. But I'm of the opinion that RBR is a bit overrated on the handling anyways. 
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

• dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    its a bit of daft question tbh. how can you base your answer on one known game vs one we dont know about ?

dirt rally is better than rbr . i played both a lot.dirt rally is better.as for next one who knows.could be rallycross. :s
  • KingOfCoinsKingOfCoins Member Champion
    It would really depend on if Dirt rally 2 gets mod support or not.
    If you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough
    -Mario Andretti
  • SirPhilMcKrakenSirPhilMcKraken Member Champion
    Why would it? What would mod support have to do with it being a better sim? Thats down to Codemasters and their programming.
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    Who knows, the next game might BE Richard Burns for all we know.

I enjoy DiRT a lot more than RBR currently, so in my opinion, that bar has already been surpassed
  • KingOfCoinsKingOfCoins Member Champion
    Why would it? What would mod support have to do with it being a better sim? Thats down to Codemasters and their programming.
    Well the version of Richard Burns Rally most people plays these days is a heavily modded version. It's why it has pretty much every rally car in existance
    If you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough
    -Mario Andretti
    Well the version of Richard Burns Rally most people plays these days is a heavily modded version. It's why it has pretty much every rally car in existance
      When you mention 'best sim' do you think of the amount of vehicles or the physics? Because physicswise is what I was referring to
  • wfwr26wfwr26 Member Unleaded
    Guess i shouldn't of generalized my post...its all meant to be in good fun.SirPhilMcKraken said:
      When you mention 'best sim' do you think of the amount of vehicles or the physics? Because physicswise is what I was referring to

wfwr26 said:
    Guess i shouldn't of generalized my post...its all meant to be in good fun.SirPhilMcKraken said:

I know, don't worry :) We're all excited for whats coming next and rightly so!
  • JZStudiosJZStudios Member Champion
    I had downloaded RBR, got all the mods, tried it, deleted it. I also don't believe mods/mod support (Though a great feature) should be included in the comparison of 2 games. The base DR is way better than base RBR. All the mods are mainly more tracks/cars, which is great for content but the physics are a bit goof.
  • enamelenamel Member Race Steward
    I think that any game that attempts to supplant RBR as GOAT will need car and stage mod support, or to be run as a live service with constant updates ala iRacing. Otherwise the game simply won't have the legs to outlast RSRBR. I don't see that fitting into CMs publishing model where they semi-regularly release standalone titles.

As far as driving feel and immersiveness I think Dirt Rally blows RBR out of the water, but without content there won't be the longevity RSRBR has that makes it the go-to game for rally simmers.
  • AlexKozlitinAlexKozlitin Member New Car Smell
    "RBR simulates an actual internal combustion engine, down to each compression stroke. Power is computed on the fly as a real engines is. RBR does proper turbo modeling, based on actual compressor maps. It calculates the exhaust gas rate in MFR (mass flow rate), based on load and RPM, then uses that information to calculate the manifold pressure (including boost pressure drop across the intercooler, lol!). From manifold pressure, you then get a direct reading for horsepower at the engine when combined with current RPM and engine load. THEN, it calculates drive line losses through the 4wd system, and you get individual power readings at all 4 tires, which varies in real time based on how the front, middle and rear differentials distribute the power as directed by your setup. Result? Load affects power. Boost is different in different gears. That's why RBR can model things like a blown turbo, or a hole in your intercooler going over a jump. You can selectively fail anything in the engine and RBR will adjust accordingly, because its calculating everything on the fly, and like a real engine, everything is connected. Again I reiterate the point that I can fail the turbo in RBR, or the cooler, or the piping. RBR will accurately then simulate this failure and develop power accordingly." "RBR is unbelievably ahead in terms of SIMULATING complexity. The engine, the suspension geometry, the braking system, the cooling system. The physics engine itself in RBR also helps the tire model. Every single texture has its own grip level, both on low and high slip angle driving. The ability to use camber also adds to the feel of RBR. RBR features real time active differentials, both front middle and rear. Just have a look at the adjustments that you can make. Different torque adjustments. Differential map adjustments in both throttle position, brake position and speed. [Q]: I can't see how stuff like reactions to oversteer and understeer could be (FFB) [Sparrow]: for the force feedback? Easy. G force is easy to calculate. That affects the wheel. The engine is on, rumble the wheel a bit. If the car oversteers, then reduce turning friction on the wheel by x amount, then apply lateral G loads as a function of turning torque to the force feedback engine motor. Bammo, authentic-ish oversteer feel. RBR does it in real time, they simply connected the suspension geometry to the force feedback engine. The forces you feel are simply the forces computed in real time coming through all the correctly modeled suspension and steering arms. That's what you feel in the real car because that's what is happening...

Dirt rally is based on look-up tables for almost everything. Driving on three different surfaces (tarmac, gravel, snow) requires three different driving techniques. In DR all three feel pretty much the same. Pendulum effects for Scandinavian flicks? None. Gyroscopic effects for pitch control over jumps? None. Active differentials for accuracy on mid-corner speed & exit? None. Why? Because they are not modeled. The reaction when i use handbrake is always the same. If i try to do a Scandinavian flick, the cars just oversteer always the same way, slowly without any control, regardless of steering input, like racing boats. I want to highlight once again about the breaking points & distances, you can't do anything more than press the pedal and wait to see what happens. I have very little control for very important things.

Nobody will do it better rally game then RBR!RBR will be best simulator ever.
    They need money and arcadyfanboys need dirt 3 type of the game!We are minority!!!

• WeamDreaverWeamDreaver Member Pit Crew
    edited June 27
    If all this is true and was done almost 25 years ago, then why is no one else doing it today, where we have x-times the processing power and for sure a hell of a lot more knowledge and experience. Many many racing and rally titles have been done in the past 25 years. Surely, devs have not become dumber since then.
    Or were the devs of RBR all savants?
  • SamRWDSamRWD Member Race Engineer
    RBR is far from perfect, but DR and D4 are even further.
  • Madhun1967Madhun1967 Member Pit Crew
    RBR was in 2004.The best still.If someone could just port it into a new game engine
  • Madhun1967Madhun1967 Member Pit Crew
    edited June 27

ALSO...................you will never see a true sim ,that caters to a small group of enthusiasts ,like us from a big game studio.Grally has hopes ,but still way toooooo far from it.Again, a small group of people.

Back then, smaller budgets,crews allowed for an experiment in rally sim making ( RBR) and though it didn't sell in numbers ,the elite still use it for true rally training.I followed the making on RBR and the inception of it was great ,with constant updates before coming out.

• Janneman60Janneman60 Member Wheel Nut
    True, RBR is still a great game. The only one near is Dirt Rally. DR is newer with better graphics and much better sound. RBR has the better handling but not for all cars. It is about what you prefer. I choose DR but can fully understand if one chooses RBR.
  • SamRWDSamRWD Member Race Engineer

ALSO...................you will never see a true sim ,that caters to a small group of enthusiasts ,like us from a big game studio.Grally has hopes ,but still way toooooo far from it.Again, a small group of people.

Back then, smaller budgets,crews allowed for an experiment in rally sim making ( RBR) and though it didn't sell in numbers ,the elite still use it for true rally training.I followed the making on RBR and the inception of it was great ,with constant updates before coming out.

I got high hopes for AC when I saw autogen stages engine results, but then Asetto Competizione gets relased and it won't support modding out of the box (engine change to UE4). Author said though that he wants to eventually make stages for RBR- that would be epic.
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    SamRWD said:

I got high hopes for AC when I saw autogen stages engine results, but then Asetto Competizione gets relased and it won't support modding out of the box (engine change to UE4). Author said though that he wants to eventually make stages for RBR- that would be epic.
    Yes the auto gen stages looked quite impressive but they still looked like endless generated roads. No landmarks, no character, no junctions, just endless winding roads. 
    They will never beat the feeling when entering the Sweet Lamb complex from the forest section. It just feels authentic on another level.

On RBR, yes very impressive for it's time but the vanilla stuff just doesn't work for me anymore. Modded physics feels much more relevant as it does many things so well. 

• DidzisDidzis Member Team Principal
    SamRWD said:
    I got high hopes for AC when I saw autogen stages engine results, but then Asetto Competizione gets relased and it won't support modding out of the box (engine change to UE4).
    I think I read in some interview that ACC devs wouldn't hinder people, if they figure out how to mod it. While modding isn't supported, it isn't discouraged either
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | Gigabyte GTX650Ti Boost | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT + Logitech Formula Force EX

DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | DiRT 4 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport | F1 2015